Still playing Gran Turismo 4

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reason
  • 13 comments
  • 1,724 views
Messages
1
I am still playing Gran Turismo 4, believe it or not. I've not the money, being a college student, to invest in the ps3 or Gran Turismo 5 yet. Recently, I have hit a spot of good luck and have acquired more funding, so, now I have the money to finally buy, I am wondering just how big of an improvement Gran Turismo 5 is over Gran Turismo 4. What are some noticeable differences between the physics simulations? How well has the g25 been incorporated? Has the AI been improved, and if so, in what ways has the AI been improved? In GT4 the AI ignored your presence when making quick overtakes, sometimes rubbing the outside of your car, does this situation still occur? Most importantly, how has our cash crop B-spec driver been improved? Is the player base still strong?
 
I am still playing Gran Turismo 4, believe it or not. I've not the money, being a college student, to invest in the ps3 or Gran Turismo 5 yet. Recently, I have hit a spot of good luck and have acquired more funding, so, now I have the money to finally buy, I am wondering just how big of an improvement Gran Turismo 5 is over Gran Turismo 4. What are some noticeable differences between the physics simulations? How well has the g25 been incorporated? Has the AI been improved, and if so, in what ways has the AI been improved? In GT4 the AI ignored your presence when making quick overtakes, sometimes rubbing the outside of your car, does this situation still occur? Most importantly, how has our cash crop B-spec driver been improved? Is the player base still strong?

There is a search button on the top right corner of your screen.

:sly:
 
GT5 has online racing. Nuff said. If you like Gran Turismo, get GT5.
 
I've had them all including GT5. It has been a little tougher to get money to buy cars on GT5 without cheat codes but they have online specials lately where you can get triple payout for completion of races which has me playing more again...(I work 40 hours a week and spend more time with family than in the past so if you're looking for a reply from a casual player that would probably be me at this time)
 
Its well worth it. GT5 has its pluses and some minor negatives. Overall, it has kept my attention for the past 6 months. Very few games can entertain me more than a couple months...good challenges and good replay value.
 
Of course GT5 is better! :) If you like the GT series then it would make since to get the newest one in you have the green.
 
I've played GT since GT2 and I have to say, no GT5 is not better than GT4 if you are intending to play mostly offline. There are only a fraction of race events and the level system is badly done, don't expect an improvement in AI and get ready for a lot of grinding (there are very few race events so grinding is kind of mandatory). Also the well praised damage system is nearly not existent.

HOWEVER if you are intending to play online the game is better than GT4. There are unlimited events and the online HI is either stupid as hell or really good (HI = Human Intelligence)

PD also gave us special events which is you against the AI but they are only accessible online.

OFFLINE PLAY = stay at GT4
ONLINE PLAY = get GT5
OFFLINE PLAY with internet at PS3 = get GT5

Please keep in mind that the online play could be restricted due to your NAT type.
 
I'm not a B-spec fan so that holds no thrills for me.
I only used it to wear-down the hp on cars in GT4 and complete a few races on my first playthru.

Currently I don't race "online".
The "game" (A-spec) and "online" are two totally different things to me.
The A-spec being the deal breaker for me mainly due to the vastly superior A-spec in GT4.
There still appears to be some lingering complaints about the "online" aspect.

The biggest pluses to GT5 are the physics and graphics.
It is probably worth renting or buying (used) at a reduced price just on that alone.
It has day/night and some changing weather tracks, the latter of which I could care less about since I don't fancy attempting, or pretending to race in the rain.
Some improvements have been made via DLC. (see the feedback section)
PD has been steadily providing seasonal events to race.

Now the bad news:
It is woefully short on A and B spec events compared to GT4, and you cannot switch between the two.
IMO it has the absolute worst credit and progression system of any GT game ever.
The 800 standard cars are graphically inferior and you cannot change the wheels on them.
The special events are OK but IMO not quite as good as GT4.
Rally events are also pretty sparse, comparitively.

I think that pretty much sums up the highlights.
 
... Rally events are also pretty sparse, comparitively. ...

I wouldn't say that Rally events are pretty sparse, they are not existant at all except a "special" event which are only 3 races which do only pay once.
 
I wouldn't say that Rally events are pretty sparse, they are not existant at all except a "special" event which are only 3 races which do only pay once.

You are right.
The term "Sparse", didn't do proper justice in this case. :)
 
If you're not using a HD tv and not going to be playing online, then I'd say save the money. It really isn't that much better than GT4. The physics are very similar. The AI are still dumb as sin and cake to beat, but in GT5 the AI will happily slow to a crawl to allow you to pass if you're anywhere near their quarter panel. Also, there is basically zero skill required to progress in the game as you can give yourself the car to win the race every time. Only the seasonal events have car restrictions, and their rewards are pffft. I can't say anything about the wheel as I don't use one. I will say that online racing is a blast and well done from a technical aspect. Balance is an issue with any restriction sets, as there the cars that will win every race, all things equal, without competition. If you can find a good host, you can have fun online.

And folks, please stop wasting your posts with "There's a search function". It pains me to read that crap every time someone has a question, or series of questions - Just answer the question or ignore the post and move on..
 
Back