"Stock" Class Eliminator: Opinions about a new drag league on GTP

Would you be interested in this potential league?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
United States
Boston, MA
littleregret265
This is a crazy off-the-cuff idea that I'm having, fueled by a love of sportsman drag racing and a vision of some potential in GT. We already have a very strong drag community here, very very proud of taking a car to its very limit in 1,320 feet (or however close that approximated straightaway is at Indy). Now, I want to expand on that a little bit, by creating a class based system working off of power-to-weight figures of showroom stock cars in GT, very similar to NHRA or IHRA's Stock Eliminator class. The lower the ratio, the faster the class that x car goes into. For example, a 1969 Camaro SS has a P/W of 4.67 kg/hp, which puts it in a respective class from maybe 4.5 to 4.99 kg/hp. Only run other cars in your class. But the catch is, that you can only modify said car so far from showroom condition. This will be enforced by several means, but routinely through limiting parts. I.E., you can only perform up to Stage 2 engine tuning, and no upgrades for forced induction/nitrous. Your car weight is class based and while it will ordinarily remain near stock, you can lighten your car to optimize your power-to-weight ratio for your class (IE taking said Camaro and lightening it down to about 1345 kg so it is exactly at 4.5 kg/hp). Weight factoring is done based on factory horsepower. Of course, this is still all quite un-formed, and could use careful guidance, deliberation, and testing of other GTP members, if there's enough of an interest for it. I have a fairly clear idea on how I would run the class, but obviously this needs to be tested, ideas need to be added to and lobbied off of the drawing board before any of this comes to fruition. I just want to see if anyone would be interested in a stock eliminator style drag league. Feel free to respond with your thoughts, comments and concerns, and I will try to attend to them in a timely fashion, should they need a response.

EDIT: I've come up with a draft of what I feel the class list might look like. Hopefully sense can be made of it.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15gJG9OzGZrdCH2laDGp5qH6h0WcznbFS82xIMpiphIE/edit?usp=sharing

As well, here is a list of the allowable modifications for entering cars.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lTAWV2Bwr0WGbwfZpsSJQM1GmU4hujeg8NG7Q9gr-ug/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
love the idea but would people be allowed to do suspension tunes? and if not, how would you prevent them from doing so?

I'm glad that you ask. My initial idea was to allow for full-customize suspensions, since it does not change the geometry in any serious way. IRL Stock eliminator cars have adjustable suspension components (aftermarket parts with the same geometry as the OEM parts), and i think that this league should reflect that. Were I to decide that we need stock suspensions, I wouldn't have any way to truly enforce it other than speaking to the honor system.

Thanks for your feedback! I am trying to play test some of these rules that I'm documenting and it would be helpful to have someone to help me coordinate these tests, and also to race against. Send me a FR (littleregret265) and I'll try to start some lobbies devoted to it.

So weight and power is stock but you can add all the suspension and drivetrain parts? Sounds fun.

I did have a complex set of rules governing weight (since that's what mainly holds down your car's class) and limited certain upgrades to power. I will add it to the OP so my point is not misconstrued. But yes you can add all the suspension and drivetrain parts.

Back