Stock Seasonal Time Trial #17 (Lotus, 450PP NRC – 7/30 to 8/27)

• Thread starter Hastatus
  • 14 comments
Canada
Canada
This is a thread series for the seasonal time trials that focuses on completing the challenges (i.e. beating the gold target times) with stock versions of the cars. This means that instead of maximizing your PP with upgrades and focusing on getting the fastest laps on the in-game leaderboard, you are attempting to complete the challenges with the bare minimum amount of 'car' and money-spent as is possible.

With the new more open ended format means that part of the challenge will be finding a stock car that has the lowest PP or lowest price depending on your view. It is also difficult to predict which types of tires a car will come with before purchasing.

Warning: Some of these challenges are getting to be extreme and should be approached with caution! :banghead:

This thread is for people to post their lap times who have used the following limitations:

1) Car must be stock: no upgrades to cars are permitted (this includes upgrades that do not increase PP such as transmissions).
2) Fresh oil changes in order to temporarily increase HP and PP are not permitted. If you have done an oil change recently you should lower your car's power to the non-fresh-oil-change HP level or wait until the HP has returned to the OEM oil level.
3) You must use the original tires that the car came with.
4) No "Car Settings" like Brake Balance can be adjusted.
5) No SRF or ASM is allowed: other Driver Assists are permitted. [SRF is obviously permitted if PD has forced drivers to employ it.]

Stock Seasonal Time Trials #17:

Lotus 97T Super Lap: target 1:56.000 - Spa - 898PP - RH

Non-Racecar Super Lap: target 1:07.000 - Tsukuba - 450PP - CS

My times so far with a wheel and an automatic transmission:

Lotus 97T '85 at Spa: 1:55.737

Non-Racecar at Tsukuba:

Corvette Coupe (C2) ’63 - 429PP - CS - 1:11.xxx
Corvette Coup (C2) 15th Anniv ’63 – 441PP – CS – 1:09.xxx
SRTATOS 15th Anniv ’73 – 434PP – CS – can’t make it around the track. :scared:
MINI COOPER S ’07 – 395PP – CS - 1:11.xxx
NSX ’91 – 433PP – CS - 1:08.xxx
Megane R.S. Trophy '11 - 440PP -CS - 1:07.049 - This car is so close. It should be doable with a manual transmission.
Focus ST 15th Anniv ’13 – 447PP – CS - 1:06.743

I hate Tsukuba...I don't know why, I just do. :mad:

Last edited:
I was saving the final Senna event for a rainy day so didn't have the car. So I thought I'd give it half an hour and see if I could get gold. It turns out it's not that simple. Barely scraped a silver and wasn't really enjoying it much so I think I'm going to skip this one.

However, as usual, I found far more enjoyment driving a slower car on crappy tyres. (I think it's an age thing.) After reading the comment by Hastatus I thought I'd have to give the Stratos a go. After the usual mayhem for the first few laps I found I could keep it solid for bronze times and decided that silver was the target. But when silver came it was a 1:08, so I couldn't give up then. It's telling that the gold lap was far from perfect, just the one where I only totally messed up one of the corners.

Non-Racecar Super Lap: Tsukuba - Stratos 15th Anniv ’73 (434PP CS) - 1.06.798

Ran a series 2 Lotus Elise 111R for Tsukuba - (It was on my list choice and the local paper had a story about a 102 year old lady who was going out on a track day in one... Maybe RedBull will find a team leader to show Ricciardo his place, young whipper snapper!)

Anyhow the car was neat on Comfy tyres and made the gold time by a smidge on my first lap - I'd say this car was an enjoyable option for a Paint chip and the cash. The track seems dull and overcast..

Non-Racecar Super Lap: Tsukuba - Lotus Elise 111R (CS) - 1m05.997

Spa
Picked out my Lotus... and it was awful... turbo lag par excellence... I swear I was 5 seconds down before I got to La Source... I thought it must be all my so called Playstation Pals had tuned Lotus(esses) but I freewheeled down to Eau Rouge past the old Pits... and tried my heads up brake bias control... and the traction control was set to 5...
Back to the pits... Rip out the traction Control and the ABS - Not sure how the car had them on.

First lap was - rough. Big pauses to shift gears and the peaky power is a bit of a faff... And 5/5 brakes makes for a disco light effect where my tyre temp indicator usually sleeps.
Once you get the feel for the car many parts are flat out... Eau Rouge and Blanchimont unfortunately are two. And Pouhon and the end of the new Stavelot are also full banana. Stock the rev limiter gets a bashing at the end of Kemmel. speed is an astounding 215+ mph (I think I glance at it after Radillon.)

Hard tyres and lowish Aero and Magic high power makes for an interesting time under brakes... Not quite got that bit nailed - a lock up bleeds you wide but also kills the tyre which means you lose more turning ability - curse my heavy thumbed driving style. (Compare - Footed) Lots of big corners that if you nail they pay you back with lots of seconds off your lap time. I gained 6 seconds after 4 laps, the new fiddly bits will need more from me, mostly what gear to use and how to blip the throttle through and out of corners or if I should go full throttle in a higher gear.

Only a second or so to make - As Taki Inoue once, said, "Should be easy enough, for a driver of my abilities..."

Gold is there for sure, just got to get the corners 90% right!

Tsukuba

1:10.340 Lotus Europa Special '72 -CS - 403 PP
1:06.979 Lotus Elise '96 -CS - 408 PP

Spa-Franchorchamps

1:55.779 Lotus 97T '85 - RH - 898 PP

Great car but a miserable basic setup, especially the gearing.
Just for comparison i altered the transmission to what i think it should be and voilà, easy found another three seconds. ;)

Hit 'n run:

Lotus 97T Super Lap : 1:52.880 (prize car)
(The key was to use 2nd gear for turn in and 3rd for corner exit. Also early shifting to get on full throttle in the middle sector)

Non-Racecar Super Lap / Tsukuba
1:08.556 Acura NSX '91 (prize car)
1:06.946 Volkswagen Scirocco R '10 CS 435pp/252bhp1410kg (prize car)

And drift trias
Ferrari DT 9581pts Enzo Ferrari '02 (prize car)
4WD DT 9457pts NISSAN CONCEPT 2020 Vision Gran Turismo (seasonal prize car)

@StirlingMoose : Nicely done! :bowdown: I never liked the Stratos. For me it's like I'm on ice if I simply breathe on the gas pedal.

Thank you, sir. I don't think I've ever had a :bowdown:before. I think the Stratos is one of the most fun cars in the game. Once you get the hang of it it's great. You just have to remember to try to do most of your braking in a straight line and if you trail brake don't come off the gas completely. And never give it full gas until you're pointing straight again. Get too cocky though and it'll quickly remind you who's boss by pointing you back the way you came. It's probably a lot easier using manual too.

Hope the tips will work for spa (2nd in, up to third and Pow-ah out of the corners like a boss.
In some corners I was giving it the beans and the rear wheels were spooling up slightly - Probably a sign I was too slow into them.

Re Reading my previous post the car had TCS at 5 - and it just wouldn't ...go... out of the corners. I can look back and laugh but for the run into the final chicane and over the start line the car was spluttering along like it had no engine and I was under Fred Flintstone power. Then I cross the line... and 10 blue lines blast past me like I've just popped out of hyperspace.

good luck and happy August

Once again, I couldn't stand the idea of throwing the same stupid car around another track so I thought I'd join you guys for something more interesting:

Non-Racecar Super Lap / Tsukuba
PP 440 - 1'08.504 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '89
PP 442 - 1'08.212 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury '07
PP 445 - 1'07.593 - Mercedes-Benz SL 500 (R230) '02
PP 449 - ineligible - Spoon S2000 '00
PP 448 - ineligible - TVR V8S '91
PP 450 - 1'06.940 - Nissan SKYLINE Sedan 350GT Type SP '06​

I'm sure the Merc can get into Gold territory but the gear changing was weirding me out. I bought the Spoon and TVR thinking they would be eligible but both had wrong tyres and the Spoon wasn't considered normal :indiff: The Skyline Sedan wasn't a bad drive but I kind of enjoyed the Jaguar most. If I had the time and inclination I might have considered trying to get gold in it but...my PS3 time this week is now done 👍

Thought I'd collate all the info while I was in the mode:

7TUeFoZ.jpg

I've updated the Google Docs spreadsheet too 👍

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kDEW2OWUxHfq9PTR4G4-HKXl3veLfq0sXhvwiPYMUGw/edit?usp=sharing

Just wondering if a good way to finish off these threads is as above, take a screenshot of the final board, put it in the final post and then delete those worksheets from the Google Spreadsheet? Saves that spreadsheet becoming unwieldy and means each thread has a summary at the conclusion of each seasonal. Anyone got any thoughts about that? Are people happy if I go ahead and do that?

Back