Stock wheel size vs +2 ???

• Thread starter Tazz69
  • 19 comments
Tazzz69
Hey guys I have been running +2 larger wheels than stock. But just for no other reason than I like the way they look. Does anyone know if the different wheel sizes ( +1 or +2) offer an advantage over stock size wheels?

Strictly speaking, some simple acceleration tests should let you know if they affect anything - unfortunately, I don't think we have a simple standing-start test like the SSRX pack in GT5. They absolutely should (the larger of otherwise identical rims would increase unsprung weight), but that depends on how PD's wheel/tire model functions. The fact they don't affect PP makes me wonder... but then again, neither do things like a full-tune suspension or a new transmission.

Strictly speaking, some simple acceleration tests should let you know if they affect anything - unfortunately, I don't think we have a simple standing-start test like the SSRX pack in GT5. They absolutely should (the larger of otherwise identical rims would increase unsprung weight), but that depends on how PD's wheel/tire model functions. The fact they don't affect PP makes me wonder... but then again, neither do things like a full-tune suspension or a new transmission.

Something that Forza does it better. Hope PD can take a look at Forza's customization, much more detailed.

Anyone else tested aftermarket +1 or +2 wheels on a car vs stock wheels with nothing else changed and see if the lap times change???

I can give it a shot today. I got a Civic I was about to tune up, but I'll run 'em both in stock trim (aside from wheels) on a track I feel fairly competent (and consistent) at.

So I tested it on Trial Mountain with a stock '01 Acura ITR. With stock wheels, aftermarket wheels at 15in (stock diameter), and 17in (+2), I ran around 1:47:8-- with each setup, give or take for human error.

At first it felt like the aftermarket wheels (especially the +2) were easier to drive on, but I think I was just fooling myself. I swapped between each rim multiple times. This is mainly due to the fact that I forgot to turn Traction Control off for the first set of runs, so I had to keep it consistent.

So for road courses, the wheel size made no difference.

----

I did a speed test on SSRX with the same car, this time with an automatic transmission to try and eliminate human error. With stock and with +2 wheels, the car topped out at 154 miles per hour right around the 3000 meter mark.

Short Version: Wheel type/size is purely cosmetic. (However a better driver might be able to discover otherwise?)

Edit: The car used was a 2001 Acura Integra Type-R. 403 PP with Comfort Soft tires. 196 Horsepower.

I felt that the +2 rims had better turn in and helped reduce understeer. This of course is my own opinion. I also come from FM tuning where different rim size does affect turn in. I run this test on the Delta that you get for free. I did it on the ring using sport hard rims. Seemed to make a difference to me.

I've just done a simple wheel size test:

I purchased the custom transmission for my Toyota 86 GT '12, and kept the stock wheels.

I then went to the Arcade Mode and picked the Daytona track in the Time Trial Mode

I set the transmission auto slider for my Toyota 86 GT to 186mph (so I wouldn't hit the rev-limiter).

I then set off around Daytona.

My Toyota 86 GT topped out at 145mph at about 6300rpm in 6th gear.

I then went back to the parts store and purchased a set of +2 wheels and installed them on my Toyota 86 GT.

Then it was back to Daytona for another run.......

Once again my Toyota 86 GT topped out at 145mph at about 6300rpm in 6th gear.

It seems to me that if the wheel size had changed between my two runs, then my Toyota 86 GT would have been showing a lower rpm number when I was traveling 145mph during the second run. If my wheels in the second test were larger in circumference by 6 inches or so, then my rpm should have been lower by about 11-12% (so my rpm at 145mph should have been about 5600).

Respectfully,
GTsail

A 6 inch difference in circumference would be huge by any standard. The difference in circumference when plus-sizing wheels is usually recommended no larger than about 3% and is normally pretty negligible due to smaller tire profiles.

Exactly. The total circumference doesn't change, and rotational mass may not necessarily change either. I can buy +2" size wheel/tire combos in real life for my MR2 that are actually lighter than stock. It would be nice if swapping out for lighter wheels improved in-game performance, but I think it's safe to say that PD will never care a great deal about modifications.

I've just done a simple wheel size test:

I purchased the custom transmission for my Toyota 86 GT '12, and kept the stock wheels.

I then went to the Arcade Mode and picked the Daytona track in the Time Trial Mode

I set the transmission auto slider for my Toyota 86 GT to 186mph (so I wouldn't hit the rev-limiter).

I then set off around Daytona.

My Toyota 86 GT topped out at 145mph at about 6300rpm in 6th gear.

I then went back to the parts store and purchased a set of +2 wheels and installed them on my Toyota 86 GT.

Then it was back to Daytona for another run.......

Once again my Toyota 86 GT topped out at 145mph at about 6300rpm in 6th gear.

It seems to me that if the wheel size had changed between my two runs, then my Toyota 86 GT would have been showing a lower rpm number when I was traveling 145mph during the second run. If my wheels in the second test were larger in circumference by 6 inches or so, then my rpm should have been lower by about 11-12% (so my rpm at 145mph should have been about 5600).

Respectfully,
GTsail

Not necessarily, yes the wheel diameter may be bigger but the tires are lower profile so the actual circumference of the wheel assembly does not change. Let's say the wheel assembly is 20" in diameter, this is the tire and wheel combined; you could increase the thickness of the tire and reduce the wheel diameter and still fall within the 20" mark and vice versa.

PD appears to have taken the easy way out with wheel sizes.
Yes you can go to a lower profile tire when you mount a larger rim and maintain roughly the same tire diameter, and this looks like what PD has done.
Interestingly there are certain cars that you can change wheels on but are limited in ability to change size.
Case in point the SL 55 AMG (R230) '02 allows custom wheels but only same size as stock wheels. Presumably this is because the stock wheels already have low profile tires mounted so they couldn't change wheel sizes without changing overall tire size.
Made programming the cars simpler I'm sure but...👎👎

Don't know, don't care. If slightly bigger rims look sick on a certain car then it is well worth the tiny amount of power etc it might take away.

I have found that there is some traction difference in the wheel sizes that affect handling during drifting and tracks with various corner types. I used a C63 and found the difference in SPORT and COMFORT tires but only while the car was sliding.

----

I did a speed test on SSRX with the same car, this time with an automatic transmission to try and eliminate human error. With stock and with +2 wheels, the car topped out at 154 miles per hour right around the 3000 meter mark.
I thing you are wrong ... When you Put a biggest diameter of rims and a lowest the tyre "profile" you can't change the top speed. because the diameter of all the wheel (tyre - rim) it's the Same.

Back