Strax's Liveries - Learning the ropes (Last update: Peugeot RCZ Gr.4 307 WRC Tribute)

• Thread starter Strax
  • 14 comments
Italy
Turin
Falken-N7
N7Falken
Hi everyone, since I've recently started spenging more time using the livery editor rather than racing, I've decided that (why not) I'd open a topic here where I can list them all. I know that what you'll find here definetly cannot be compared to what some other members here can do, I'm still a beginner, but hopefully practice will help and things will get better in the future :)

Nismo Skyline GT-R R32 S-Tune
The first proper livery I made in GTS, using decals borrowed from the Discover section (most of them are from GTP's own Syntex123). Made it after winning the R32 from the daily workout gift, in honor of the one I drove a lot back in GT3 and GT4.

5981445516665292297_23.jpg

Download link: HERE

Autobacs SuperGT Toyota S-FR
Made it because I was bored, inspired by the Arta Garaiya JGTC from GT4. Also one of my first liveries, one that would probably need some rework. Decals are all borrowed from the Discover section.

6269086554716635153_23.jpg

Gran Turismo 1 Race Mods - Toyota Supra A70
This was my first ever car in Gran Turismo history: when I first started playing GT1, about 20 years ago, a red MA70 was my car of choice, and since then I've always loved it. When I had the chance, I immediately replicated the race mods, in both colors.

6125547510147579905_23.jpg

6125551916919292929_23.jpg

Download link for GREEN version: HERE
Download link for BLUE version: HERE

Gran Turismo 1 Dodge Viper GTS-R LM Edition
The prize car from the USA vs Japan special event, and my entry for the forst GTP Livery Editor Contest held here by Syntex. This car back then was both a dream and a nightmare: insanely fast, but hard to tame. But, I loved it :D replicated both the green-striped version and the blue-striped one.

4900501407930548745_23.jpg

6197533702433539593_23.jpg

Download link for GREEN version: HERE
Download link for BLUE version: HERE

Gran Turismo 2 Race Mods - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V
Another GT oldtimer, the Puma green/white Evo V transposed on the Evo X. For this one I used for the first time some custom decals done with Photoshop and vector magic, plus some ingame shapes. Really loved the old Puma design, I wish PD gave us the 3000GT as well to give it the Puma treatment :P

6278664477145596433_23.jpg

GTPlanet racing Alpine VGT Gr.1
My entry for the second Livery Editor Contest was the GTP version of the Alpine VGT Gr.1, a very unpopular car (for good reasons) that still looks pretty sick to me. First time attempting a fantasy design, at which I'm really, rally bad, mostly for lack of artistic talent whatsoever.

7350460635995440649_23.jpg

Safari Rally Lancer 1600 GSR
First manual tracing attempt in Inkscape, for this replica transposed on the Evo X of the old 1600 GSR that won (or rather dominated) the Safari Rally in the late 70's. I originally intended to make this livery for the Gr.B, but design-wise it proved to be terrible, so I eventually went for the N-class one.

8224149078721692185_23.jpg

Geigercars Dodge Charger Hellcat
Did this one because, after winning the 3rd Hellcat, I wanted to make something for at least one of them, and this came up.

7286828599429039105_23.jpg

JTCC Tom's Minolta A70 Toyota Supra
Half of my entry for the third LEC, it's a replica of the late 80's JTCC Supra. Unlike the modern counterpart and second half of my entry, this one turned out pretty good, and I was really happy with it.

7070749340243854337_23.jpg

Renault Clio R.S. 16
My 4th LEC entry, this was my first attempt at masking. It may look like something very basic and simple, but I swear this one took me various hour at the PC, creating the proper masks for the golden decals effect.

8142578563952935961_23.jpg

1998 BTCC Ultron Peugeot 406
A transposition on the Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 of the old BTCC Peugeot 406 livery, the gold and green Ultron one. One of my favourite race liveries ever, and a good memory from ToCA 2, where I usually drove the 406 to make it win (since otherwise, it was always, hopelessy last, together with the Mondeos). Second masking attempt, and so far my most successful livery on the GTS Community.

7070730663764197897_23.jpg

That's it for now, will hopefully add more stuff in the future. Good stuff, I hope :P

Denso SARD FT-1 VGT (Gr. X)
Been working quite a while on this one, even though I know it's a way overdone livery. Can't help it, the Denso Supra JGTC has always been one of my favourites back in the PS2 days. So I decided to try and make a tribute to it on the FT-1 VGT, love the design of this car, the aggressiveness. Way more than the Gazoo Concept Supra.
For the completion of this one I have to thank above all else, @uccio21 for the SuperGT decals he shared, and @Stephen220378 for the help identifying those japanese companies that adorn the front of the Supra. Thanks a lot! :cheers:

So here she is, comments and critics are always welcome...apart for "this os overdone/boring". I know that already :P

5773702683834746369_23.jpg

Last edited:
Esso Ultraflo FT-1 VGT (Gr.X)
After the Denso, now even my second FT-1 has her own livery. My pick went on my second favourite JGTC Supra livery, the Ultraflo...brings back memories from GT4 :) The base color isn't the most correct, being a B5 Small Flakes, but I didn't have the proper color, and B4 Half Matte only turned up today after releasing it :banghead: though I like it better in this blue, especially with the Ultraflo rear logo being a mask. Whatever sponsor I could, I borrowed, whatever I couldn't (Toyota Le Mans on the hood, the Esso mascotte, something else I don't remember) I made myself with Inkscape, Photoshop and Vector Magic.

As usual, comments and critics are welcome! :cheers:

4764809516033245697_23.jpg

Last edited:
1994 #40 Dodge Viper RT/10 Le Mans GT 1
Having won a 3rd Viper GT3-R, I had to make a livery for it, and saw this one isn't easy to find in the Discover section. This time I had it harder, as I couldn't borrow basically anything, none of those decals were to be found. Therefore, Inkscape was the only solution. Huge thanks to @MatskiMonk who made the GT 1 entrant sticker, and @Nuschel01 who helped me find ot what's the decal on the side of the rear wing, which was the last decal I was missing.

Will I make the twin #41 car? Maybe, depends :P

Having won a 3rd Viper GT3-R, I had to make a livery for it, and saw this one isn't easy to find in the Discover section. This time I had it harder, as I couldn't borrow basically anything, none of those decals were to be found. Therefore, Inkscape was the only solution. Huge thanks to @MatskiMonk who made the GT 1 entrant sticker, and @Nuschel01 who helped me find ot what's the decal on the side of the rear wing, which was the last decal I was missing.

Nice, drivers names and other small details present, great attention to detail. The only thing I would have done different would be the #40 on the car, much higher like the original car and split between the side and the bonnet, it's actually really easy using the align with camera mode, have a play around with it by splitting one decal between two parts, it's something I use a lot to good effect.

Nice, drivers names and other small details present, great attention to detail. The only thing I would have done different would be the #40 on the car, much higher like the original car and split between the side and the bonnet, it's actually really easy using the align with camera mode, have a play around with it by splitting one decal between two parts, it's something I use a lot to good effect.
I actually went for that solution, but no matter what I tried, the 40 on the sides was always bad looking...the hood part was heavily distorted every time and there was no way I could match it with the lower part. Both in align with surface and align with camera, the result was always very displeasing. I did use this technique other times (number boards on the hoof of the two FT-1s for example), but didn't manage to here. If you have any tip for designing on the Viper's hood sides, I'll gladly take it, as it's always been a nightmare for me :banghead:

Thanks a lot! :)

I actually went for that solution, but no matter what I tried, the 40 on the sides was always bad looking...the hood part was heavily distorted every time and there was no way I could match it with the lower part. Both in align with surface and align with camera, the result was always very displeasing. I did use this technique other times (number boards on the hoof of the two FT-1s for example), but didn't manage to here. If you have any tip for designing on the Viper's hood sides, I'll gladly take it, as it's always been a nightmare for me :banghead:

Thanks a lot! :)

Ah I take it it's one of those cars that annoyingly warps the **** out of decals for no reason

Ah I take it it's one of those cars that annoyingly warps the **** out of decals for no reason
That's exactly the issue. Both with align with camera and align with surface, the result was the same...actually, way worse in align with camera. Had to find another way, and this is the only one that came to mind unfortunately.

Splendid! 👍

Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG Edition One
Had this car around my garage for a while now, in an ugly light blue, and decided to give it a try for the new Hatchback event in GT League. Needed to make a livery for it, and the Edition One was the first that came to mind. The plates are from "Discover", most of the decals are shapes, I only traced the last part of the side stripes. A simple livery, but sometimes a little break from race cars is needed.

Team RS*R Mazda MX-5 (ND)
This was my entry for the LEC #7, with the theme of drift machines. I needed some inspiration for this, and went back to when I was a kid, watching Formula D on the now-defunct italian TV channel GXT. Back then, I was deeply in love with the RS*R Honda S2000, drifted by Alex Pfeiffer, always dueling with the massive Viper and the Team Falken army of Silvias. It was inevitable: GT Sport's japanese roadster had to be the canvas for an inspired livery. Some of the logos and the plates are from the "Discover" section, while some others (such as the RS*R logos and the numberplate) are from myself. The red and black parts are all done with GTS shapes, and the base color is Polaris White.

It was great fun making (and drifting) it, hope you like it as well!

#88 Thomson Ferrari 512 BB Le Mans 1978
This one has been a long, long ride, as I've been working on this livery for about a month. It's the 90% acurate replica of the #88 car that entered the LM24 in 1978, modified according to the standard car being very different from the race one, and also in order to be Sport Mode/GT League friendly.
This time there wasn't much I could borrow: I only found the old Thomson logo (that rred/white thing on the roof), the SEV Marchal, and some other stuff such as the Magneti Marelli logo. The rest was either made with shapes, or by myself (all Thomson logos, CH. POZZI, the old Michelin logos with white background, driver names and the JMS racing logos), it was quite the patience test, but overall I can say I'm pretty satisfied by how it came out. Hopefully you'll all like it too!

Peugeot 307 WRC Tribute (RCZ Gr.4)
This is just a quick livery work I did for the RCZ Gr.4, since I was planning on using it for last week's Gr.4 Sport race. Nothing special, just a quick design done using community decals, inspired by Marcus Gronholm's mid-2000s Peugeot 307 WRC. Marlboro sponsors are still on it, I've made the version that pre-dates the war against tobacco sponsors in motorsports. Wasn't even that much convinced to share it, but here it is.

Back