Struggling in F1 2013

BarbarianGoth

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Baptized_Soviet
Baptized Soviet
I've played a few racing games like all the GT's, Shift 1 & 2, GRID, etc. and I decided to give this game a try so I bought it. I'm having trouble winning even with the AI on Amateur. I can race pretty well with all aids off but only in dry conditions. But once my tires wear out, I'm done. I can't race at all in wet conditions without driving aids on.

I figured out my problem is wheel spin. But I really can't control it. I play with a PS3 controller on PC using motionjoy. I use the X button (equivalent to the A button on the XBOX controller) because that is what I am used to and refuse to use the triggers or the right joystick for accelerating. The X button doesn't seem to be pressure sensitive and just pressing it a little gives full throttle.

I have the advanced wheel settings all at 0%. I can play this game OK with driving aids on, but I want to play without the aids. And of course, under steer is a big problem for me. Unless I brake very early, I always under steer.
Any advice (besides get a wheel)?

Last edited:
you will need to switch to the triggers or this is going to continue to happen. the x button is either on (pressed) or off (not pressed) there is no middle ground like with the triggers. to avoid wheelspin you need to carefully ease on the throttle until you feel the wheels stop spinning (controller vibrating) at which point you can go flat out. Same with the brakes, the car won't turn if you're applying the brakes heavy in a turn. Try braking hard early, and easing off the brakes (like you do with the throttle) as you drive through the turn until you get to the point where you can begin accelerating again (without wheelspin of course :P) it takes some getting used to but once you figure out how to feather the throttle and brakes it just takes the game to another level of enjoyment. I was used to playing gt5 using the right stick as throttle/brake and the triggers as shifters and i was using it in F1 2013 for a while too before switching.

I use a DS3 also btw
Yeah, thanks for the tips, I will try to get used to the triggers, it'll be just really akward at first to have the x/circle button for gear shifting though (which I used to use the triggers for in every other game including GT), but I should get used to it after a while.

I have a full rig setup with Fanatec Clubsportv2 pedals, and it took me a little time to get used to throttle control (as tire wear and wheelspin were MUCH more forgiving in the previous iterations). While I don't have the DS3 experience, I'd agree that you really need to get used to the trigger (or some other form) that allows feathering. Once you get used to it, as DxRxOxS says, the tire wear problems dont seem as bad and the game gets much more enjoyable.

Back