Strugling a bit in Malaysia

• Thread starter bjosim
  • 28 comments

bjosim

GTP addicted reader
Premium
I'm trying to compete on the hardest level in career mode, but no matter how hard i try, i cannot go faster than 1,37,8xx with the BMW Sauber car in Malaysia. Is there any suggestions for a better setup? I've increased downforce and toe a bit. Throttle map on fast. All AIDS are off.

Edit: found a possible solution :) in my last post.

Last edited:
I'm trying to compete on the hardest level in career mode, but no matter how hard i try, i cannot go faster than 1,37,8xx with the BMW Sauber car in Malaysia. Is there any suggestions for a better setup? I've increased downforce and toe a bit. Throttle map on fast. All AIDS are off.

How competitive is that time? How does it stack up on the TT leaderboards? I haven't raced Sepang at all yet but it is possible you are getting about the most out of that car on that particular track.

I'm using the virgin car. And my qualifying lap time is 1:34:160. Jut try to get top 10 or so. After that the track o car has better grip so I wen. From 1:36:900 down to 1:34:00. I'm fairly new to f1 so I'm sure somone with an custom set up would b better then presets.

I'm number 14 or 15, but i can't seem to beat my team mate and i should be able to do that.

I'm using the virgin car. And my qualifying lap time is 1:34:160. Jut try to get top 10 or so. After that the track o car has better grip so I wen. From 1:36:900 down to 1:34:00. I'm fairly new to f1 so I'm sure somone with an custom set up would b better then presets.

Do you use any aids? It just seem like my car is total crap, but the Virgin should be even worse.. How do you manage that lap time?

Sorry for typos. I'm using my phone and playing right now lol. But keep practicing! I think I've done like 100 laps or so. I do use the driving line as my only aid.

Yes, g25 and a seat. I must be worse than i thought.. :) LOL

You should post a video with that track:)

Lol I play on my couch its very uncomfortable at times. Or after long periods of time. But yeah skip to qualifying and your lap times should go own. You will notice the car gripping better. I still got to race yet lol.

On thing I did was I youtubed pole position laps of real f1 to determine a good racing line. I got to say after watching it many times it helped me get better! I got pictures for you ;-) I forgot to record :-\

I play on Pro whit lotus. Sepang was my worst race. i never had the speed on the long straights. on a full race i had +7laps:scared: but finished the race. still the ranking say "DNF"

but now things go better, scored my first points in Monaco on the 5th place.

Just finished the race. I got 23 seconds ahead of the ai and I even spun out lol. Guess I pushed too far. Damn that vettel! He passed me after the spin out. Meh I overtook him anyways. ;-) oh I do the shortest amount of laps. 20% I cant do longer races no time!

Me too, 20 %. I just finished 7th, so overtaking is easy, but i just can't get over the poor qual-times :( I tried lowering the car some more and it put the time half a second faster but still. Have you tried driving the BMW Sauber Ferrari? Would be fun to see what you can achieve on that track :)

By the way, do you have the AI on the hardest level? Also I'm playing the PC version...

Oh I see im on ps3... I'm new to f1 though lol. I need to learn to stop assuming everyone on here has a ps3. Mabe ps3 version is easier? Lol just kidding. I did practice a lot and I ended up 3rd in practice session but pole for qualifying.

7th again... But with rain this time :) Do you have any upgrades applied? I have the two first ones..

Cool. I see, I don't have any upgrades yet. Ugh I'm at work doing a 12hr shift so I won't be playing this weekend much :-(. Yeah I don't have any advice since I'm a noob. However all I can say is practice the same course untill you can get familiar with it. I tried an arcade race with heavy rain and it was very difficult. Make sure you warm up the tires and stuff like that....

I tried applying the preset setups, and immediately dropped down 2 seconds! If i practice more, and get used to how the car behaves now, i'm sure i can drop it another 2 seconds... But, with these preset setups, the downforce is dropped to a minimum, and still the times are better. Shouldn't it be the opposite? I mean, downforce is what every team work to improve on all the time. But in the game at least, the speed i get on the straights make up for the time lost in the corners by far.

I tried applying the preset setups, and immediately dropped down 2 seconds! If i practice more, and get used to how the car behaves now, i'm sure i can drop it another 2 seconds... But, with these preset setups, the downforce is dropped to a minimum, and still the times are better. Shouldn't it be the opposite? I mean, downforce is what every team work to improve on all the time. But in the game at least, the speed i get on the straights make up for the time lost in the corners by far.

If you're talking about Sepang still, then that's because there are so many long straights. Some tracks like Monza and Spa, you need a low downforce setup to maximise the speed on the straights and get the best overall lap time. Whereas tracks like Singapore and especially Monaco, you need very high downforce because of the slow, tight corners.

This was actually in Shanghai, China. But i have noticed how all the cars always sped away with incredible speed on the straights on the other tracks as well. Is Sepang in Malaysia? Isn't that Kuala Lumpur? The chinese track has some long straights, but also a lot of high speed, high downforce corners as well.

EDIT: So, the slow corners is where you generally need the most downforce? Wouldn't it "pay" more on the fast, long corners?

Well downforce is what delivers more grip to the car, the high speed corners and the slow speed. Although the slow speed corners do rely more on tyres than downforce, you're right.

As for Shanghai, it's a mixed track. It has a couple of long straights, and one very long one. For me, I prefer a car with more downforce than top speed, even at tracks like Melbourne, which apparently is better with a little less downforce because of the long straights. What it comes down to is what makes you feel comfortable in the car to deliver consistent and fast lap times.

For example, in Monza two weeks ago, Jenson Button ran a much higher downforce package than everyone else because he felt more comfortable through the corners with that, and managed to come second.

So, the trick then would be to test both high and low downforce configurations on all tracks i guess. But it seems that in F1 2010 when you select the "Dry" configuration preset it always lowers the downforce to achieve higher top speed. Does anyone know if the presets are different for each track? I'll check for myself later though.

I think that in Formula 1, the driver can change his front wing setting two times per lap, where would it be recommended to apply those changes? Increase wing setting before long, fast corners or the slow, short ones?

That's a tricky one. I haven't really thought about this. I'm not sure whether adding angle to the wing increases the downforce..or...

I'm guessing if it does increase the downforce then the faster corners. But my personal opinion, which probably is incorrect would be the slower corners, to maybe point the car better into the apex and get a better exit perhaps?

I'm not an expert so I think it would take going to a track you're good at. Reaching your limit in times and then testing out the wing settings to see what works for you.

Agreed. But yes it increases the downforce a bit. You can do this in-race in both reality and in F1 2010 (the game). I think my point is that maybe the physics in the game is a bit off when it comes to downforce. I personally like better how the car behaves with high downforce, but i still go faster with lower configurations (in Shanghai, i haven't tested it on other tracks yet).

Back