Stuck with sixaxis

  • Thread starter Thread starter zeemie
  • 10 comments
  • 1,079 views

zeemie

Premium
Messages
45
Messages
Zeemie
I'm new to the game and growing increasingly addicted to it. The wife is not at all happy with the attention the game is taking away from her attention time. Anyone with me here? I could move the system to the bedroom and use the 15 year old 30" TV but would rather play in the living room on the 52" LCD!

Anyway, now that I drive only in pro physics and am
confined to Sixaxis, I have some difficulty with the trigger as throttle. For instance, upon exiting a turn (turn #1 on Fuji, for instance) when you want to begin accelerating, there is a dead zone in increasing trigger depression where basically nothing happens. Just a little more and the back end of the Vette is facing the wrong way. I lose a lot of time by not slowly getting more revs and then a lot more time regaining control after it reacts like I floored itl.

I would love to get a wheel which no doubt helps with this but the wheel at this time would come with alimony payments attached!!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Sixaxis trigger responded exactly progressively just like a real pedal/throttle do? I know I could shave a few seconds off my lap times if it did.

Anyone else plagued by this or is it just me?

Zeemie
 
By the way, what a magnificent forum this is!!!
 
Have you tried to alter the gear ratios to compensate? BTW i have the same problem with the wife :crazy:
 
I use the buttons, I have done ever since GT1, so I don't have this problem. The other solution is to use the analog sticks - which is probably the easiest and best way to modulate with a controller, just a problem jumping from throttle to brakes quickly I suppose.
 
Yeah, there is no dead zone in the analogue sticks. I always used them until I got my wheel.
 
I currently use the right trigger for throttle, "square" button for brake, L1 / L2 for shifting up / down and left stick for steering.

After thinking about your suggestions, I'll change throttle to right stick and brake to R2. Using trigger for brake may give more control of braking anyway!!

I'll try this as soon as she goes to bed!!

Thanks again.
 
I was hoping for Xbox style triggers, because those worked perfectly fine in Forza and TOCA 2/3, but the DS3 triggers are way too loose.

Edit: I'm really not too used to using the stick for throttle/brake, so my right stick is for looking around, and the left for steering.
 
Try using the analog sticks! I do and works good with me! Can adjust imputs well with them!
 
Thats one of the main reasons why Sixaxis users are soo slow driving RWD, probably why steering wheels are so popular on this forum.

I still use the X button on my sixaxis. i bought a Logi DFP a few months back but the learning curve is pretty long. I'm faster with the sixaxis, although i haven't tried so hard with the DFP.
 
I changed the throttle to the right stick from the right trigger. Wow! Quite a difference.

Took it straight to Suzuka (nobody ever accused me of having any sense). First couple laps I was all over and off the track - braking instead of shifting, turning instead of braking, etc.

After two months of my original configuration I kept getting confused.

Went to Arcade HSR, set the competition to 1 and drove at half throttle, which indeed you can do with the analog stick and got a little less confused.

Went back to Suzy and quickly got into that nice rhythm in the esses and am getting used to the changes. I also find I can hit the entry points more accurately after braking with the trigger as opposed to the button.

It'll take a few days to undo learned reactions to suprises by not responding with the original setup but I am already driving smoother.

Coming out ot the first and second turn on Fuji, is much more controlled and quicker.

As some of the posters responded above, there is NO deadspot in throttle with the stick - you can watch the throttle indicator react directly in proportion to the stick.

Thank you all for the help. With a little more practice, I'll be looking forward to meeting and racing many of you on line. I gotta get better first and your help will shorten that learning curve.

Thanks much and see ya online soon.

You guys rock!

Zeemie
 
I also always used the right analog stick to accellerate, square to brake, and R1 and R2 to shift up and down... :) custom button assignments 👍 This was until I got my beloved wheel....
 
Back