Stupid question, but driving me crazy.

  • Thread starter Thread starter neogitus
  • 6 comments
  • 826 views
Messages
1
Hey, new to the forums. I recently bought gran turismo 5 and it is driving me crazy... this is the first of the gt series I have played to bear with me. If this question has been asked before sorry but I need to know!

I am having huge problems with turning, I keep failing the most basic of the license testing... I read how to turn it tells me to stop before the turn I do that and when i start going again my car barely turns out of a straight line and goes into the dirt or smashes in to a wall....it is extremely annoying so any detailed help for a first time player would be greatly appreciated...i want to experience this game the way it was meant to be experiences and i am about to smash my ps3 haha
 
Try not to come to a full stop before going into a turn. Slow down without stopping. Feather the brakes, don't stomp. As far as the turning issue...it sounds to me like what your doing is tromping on the gas and trying to turn at the same time. That won't work. What's happening is, when you tromp on the gas the weight of the car in the rear sinks, causing the front end to nose up, thus lowering the amount of traction you have available to your front wheels. It's all about weight distribution and available traction. One thing to keep in mind, the lower end cars have really mushy suspensions, and the higher end cars usually have a stiffer suspensions. Keep in my mind too, if this is your first foray into the GT series, it's touted as a "driving simulator". So, with that in mind...think about what happens to a real car under acceleration, cornering, and braking. You might want to think about going into the arcade section, hop into different cars and mess around to get a feel for what they do. What I use to do was; grab a car, choose a track, set the tran for auto, do a free run. Then when you get on a track, use the bumper cam. Reason being, it's a good way to see what happens. Hit the gas and watch the nose go up...hit the brakes and watch the nose go down...hit the gas and try to turn, watch what happens...turning won't happen very easily. The more powerful the car, the more you'll notice the movement. However, the more powerful cars will have the suspension to compensate for the amount of power on tap. Hope this helps out a little. Hopefully some more people here will chime in and give some more insight. The examples I gave are just what I did back when I first started playing the GT series. Please, anybody else who reads this, correct me if I'm way off base here. I don't want to steer anybody in the wrong direction.

RT
 
next time you come online, try going into the chat room and ask away. you'll be able to get real time help there as well.
 
The controls and buttons on the DS3 controller are digitally proportional, meaning, if you want to keep the revs up, press your "accelerator" button half way and watch the rev counter, same with the breaks. If you want to slow down without full breaking, only press the break button half way.

This is your first GT game, practice free runs to get the feel of it.
 
Keep more speed going into the corner and don't mash the throttle coming out of the corner. Ease into it.
 
Try not to come to a full stop before going into a turn. Slow down without stopping. Feather the brakes, don't stomp. As far as the turning issue...it sounds to me like what your doing is tromping on the gas and trying to turn at the same time. That won't work. What's happening is, when you tromp on the gas the weight of the car in the rear sinks, causing the front end to nose up, thus lowering the amount of traction you have available to your front wheels. It's all about weight distribution and available traction. One thing to keep in mind, the lower end cars have really mushy suspensions, and the higher end cars usually have a stiffer suspensions. Keep in my mind too, if this is your first foray into the GT series, it's touted as a "driving simulator". So, with that in mind...think about what happens to a real car under acceleration, cornering, and braking. You might want to think about going into the arcade section, hop into different cars and mess around to get a feel for what they do. What I use to do was; grab a car, choose a track, set the tran for auto, do a free run. Then when you get on a track, use the bumper cam. Reason being, it's a good way to see what happens. Hit the gas and watch the nose go up...hit the brakes and watch the nose go down...hit the gas and try to turn, watch what happens...turning won't happen very easily. The more powerful the car, the more you'll notice the movement. However, the more powerful cars will have the suspension to compensate for the amount of power on tap. Hope this helps out a little. Hopefully some more people here will chime in and give some more insight. The examples I gave are just what I did back when I first started playing the GT series. Please, anybody else who reads this, correct me if I'm way off base here. I don't want to steer anybody in the wrong direction.

RT

Well said. Its going to take a lot of practice but it is well worth it. Once you have the skills acquired it is very rewarding to see what you can make the car do. Don't get discouraged, everyone new to racing simulators has to face the steep learning curve. When ever you try a new track or new car start out in "Time trial mode" and take it slow. Do some laps at a slower pace, see how the car reacts. Each lap try to improve 1 corner at a time.
 
It might be beneficial to try b-spec as well, watch how your driver takes corners ( successful or not, will give you info either way )

Also tyres are an important thing to consider up-grading.
 
Back