Subaru goes DRAG RACING!

• Thread starter Layzie
  • 27 comments
hurcon1
ftglx.jpg

ftgmc.jpg

Subaru just announced that they're going Pro Stock Drag Racing and with AWD. The guys from Easy Street are getting the funding. Seems like the girl driver they were searching for will be driving the current 9sec WRX they have and the guy who owns Easy Street will be driving the new Pro Stock car.

Edit: more info

Subaru and Easy Street Motorsports announced they will be running a Pro-Class all-wheel-drive STi built by Bob Norwood of Norwood Autocraft. Ali Afshar, president of Easy Street Motorsports—or ESX for short—will be driving the 950-horsepower ESX STi.

After winning the "Maximum Velocity Female Driver Search" decided last Sunday in Pomona, Calif. at the NHRA Sport Compact World Finals, 18-year-old Julie Stepan of Gran Prairie, Texas will be piloting Afshar's old drag car. One other announcement Subaru made was that they have tripled the number of performance parts they offer through Subaru Performance Tuning, or SPT, and they have no plans of slowing down, according to Robert LaBossiere. "Through SPT we plan to make available domestically developed parts as well as an ever expanding lineup of STi parts developed in Japan," says LaBossiere.

AWD Drag racing? I never heard of that, I thought they were all RWD. Oh well.

Read about this roughly 6 months ago, East Street, started by the pictured guy ( he plays an extra in the TV show King Of Queens, he is a delivery boy for an indian restaurant ) Anywayz, he was getting subbies to running 12's and learned that there was a guy in australia running high 9's in an older generation subie, so they joined forces...I guess Subie is now sponsoring them....Good for them ! BTW the dude in the Picture, Ali Afshar is married to the older sister from that 70's show ! ( hottie ) she funded his start in the business ( nice girl huh ? )

On slicks like that, those AWD launches should be absoloutely viscious.

Anybody have any video linkage?

Wow, all that horsepower, awd, and drag slicks.....Enough torque to tear your head off.

Meh. I've never liked Subaru. Don't like this. I'm starting to stop my all out Subaru grudge now, and I'm accepting them. But I don't like them very much. Don't ask why, it's just something about them.

dont you have to ease on the accel with awd?

....then again...top fuel cars replace the entire clutch every heat. (they melt together)

So does anyone know if this is the first AWD top fuel drag attempt? And...why wouldn't they have done it earlier if AWD launches are always faster. Well, best of luck to them. Car looks great. But...they've got the hood scoop backwards. How're they supposed to eat bugs with the hood scoop backwards?

Purple Platypus
So does anyone know if this is the first AWD top fuel drag attempt? And...why wouldn't they have done it earlier if AWD launches are always faster.
Hmm.. From what I know of I think it is much worse if you use a AWD car at a pro level of drag racing because I hear you lose traction on the front wheels and you get a lot of wheelspin and all sorts of techinical things.

I've seen built GMC Typhoons at the strip. Preload the trans to get the boost up, and AWD means they leave the tree like a ball bearing out of a Wrist Rocket. Those Subes would definitely be fun to watch.

Well that would be neat. Lock and disable the front wheels and smoke the rears then do vice versa. Twice the wonderful-smelling smoke of burning rubber 👍

I've heard about the ESX new generation WRX that was running 9s, and was happy to see a Sube going that fast. But now, looking at it... It doesn't impress me that much. It looks like pretty much every other drag racer, but with an Impreza shell on it. :indiff:

I'm going to hunt and find that driver and make her my new girlfriend.

Back