Subaru WRX STi S209 coming to the USA

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 25 comments
Pardon my ignorance, but in terms of hardcore level where does the S209 stack up compared to the Type RA?

Also it's weird that we have 3 S20s so far for this generation (207, 208 and now 209). Before that each S20 corresponds nicely to each generation/facelift:
S201 - GC8
S202 - bug eye
S203 - blob eye
S204 - hawk eye
S205 - hatchback
S206 - sedan
S207 - current gen

The STI is still a thing? (I know it is, but it is so irrelevant now that I don't know why they still bother. Might as well make the next one an SUV.)

I do wonder if it'll come with the Japanese spec EJ207 engine. I doubt that though, and with Subaru's recent attempts at bringing over Japan only models to other markets, you can't help but feel that they're at the bottom of the barrel to keep the market interested in the STI. I'd be happy with the standard STI.

Bring on the new model.

I do wonder if it'll come with the Japanese spec EJ207 engine. I doubt that though, and with Subaru's recent attempts at bringing over Japan only models to other markets, you can't help but feel that they're at the bottom of the barrel to keep the market interested in the STI. I'd be happy with the standard STI.

Bring on the new model.

They still sale a decent 30-40k a year, the market is in a hard spot.

VXR
The STI is still a thing? (I know it is, but it is so irrelevant now that I don't know why they still bother. Might as well make the next one an SUV.)
I think the STI is still relevant here in the U.S. (which is where this S209 model is going), whereas the car ran it's course in your part of the world and is (or already has been) discontinued. People still buy them here, I see them everywhere. In fact, I would like to get one myself soon! I miss my old STI.

VXR

They stopped selling them here in the UK and in Europe, which isn't surprising when hot hatches out perform it nowadays.

If the WRX STI does come back, I hope it is a mild-hybrid that is a direct competitor to the Audi RS3 Saloon. Without electrification, the WRX will remain irrelevant.

341 hp
Exclusive to America

unknown.png

EDIT:

Press kit finally released
https://www.subaru.co.jp/press/news-en/2019_01_15_6739/

2019_0115_1-01.jpg

2019_0115_2-2.jpg

To feed more air to this engine, the S209 uses high-flow air intake system featuring an exclusive intake duct and induction box with conical air filter. The air is then led to the exclusively designed turbocharger with a larger turbine and compressor. The vehicle’s exhaust system is equipped with high-performance mufflers with larger exhaust tips for less airflow resistance. Controlled through STI-tuned engine control unit, the powertrain delivers an estimated 341 horsepower, the highest output ever in the STI tuned models. The model also features an intercooler water spray system to lower intercooler temperature. The engine also utilizes forged pistons and connecting rods to secure reliability as production model.

The S209 wears 265/35R19 tires wrapped around lightweight 19×9-inch forged BBS alloy wheels. Underneath the S209’s broader body with bulging fenders are specially developed Bilstein dampers, dedicated coil springs and stronger pillow-type bushings. Further, the S209 incorporates a flexible front-strut tower bar and flexible front and rear draw stiffeners, the items proven with the class winning Nürburgring racecar, and carbon-fiber roof which contributes to weight reduction and higher body rigidity. Additional exterior parts such as STI front, rear and side under spoilers, STI front bumper canards and STI carbon-fiber rear wing bring the better aerodynamic performance and the vehicle achieves the better handling performance with these enhancements.

Last edited:
Meh, looks fast and fun but this car is getting old. I’d rather just wait for the new one to come out which should be soon. Although if it loses the manual and/or goes hybrid that may just be a deal breaker for me.

I liked the Type RA but it doesn’t even come with a spare tire, how do you charge an extra 10k over the sport tech version for tiny upgrades and then take away the damn spare tire? Just lol

Last edited:
The resale value of these WRX (especially STI) models is pretty incredible. It might be an outdated concept, and an outdated car generally, but people really, really love them. And they buy them new.

The resale value of these WRX (especially STI) models is pretty incredible. It might be an outdated concept, and an outdated car generally, but people really, really love them. And they buy them new.
They are still relatively popular around here. I see waaay more of these than any of it’s competitors, mainly because hatches don’t seem to be that popular in these parts unless it’s some boring crossover. I wish they would release a 2 door version again.

Last edited:
For sure. I bought an STI in 2012 (a 2004 model, nearly stock), enjoyed it for a few years, and sold it for slightly more than I paid for it. The very same car is currently for sale and is holding value, despite being over 100k miles. People will pay good money for a well maintained, near stock WRX/ STI.

As for the S209, I like it and all, but I would still be perfectly happy with a standard STI.

Back