• Thread starter Duke
  • 17 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
Well, I ran the Speedway 150 last night. Not as much fun as Seattle but still good practice. However, it was a blowout, which I don't much enjoy.

I ran a bone-stock Tommyk ZZII on super slicks. Pitted every 10 on 3 green and the outside front yellow - that thing sure is easy on tires. Best lap on fresh warm tires was 34.2". Overall time 1:04':02". Finished 9 laps ahead of the Motorsport Elise and it got a lot worse from there. He might have been a contender if he didn't blow Turn One - the easiest turn in GT3 - every freakin lap for 100 laps.

So that netted me $$ and the Clio Race Car (really hoping for the 'Vette to enter the Stars-n-Stripes). I was bummed at first until I noticed it was MR (which I didn't have yet).

So I entered Beginner MR cup. Unfortunately that was a blowout too. Starting from 6th in a car I'd never driven, it was too easy to power past everybody. So I stayed one gear high all the time and sandbagged. After that I went to look at the specs for the Beginner NA cup and to my surprise the Clio qualified (I had assumed it was turbo). Unfortunately there AGAIN it was a blowout.

Now I have a Mister Two Spyder which is nice but useless, and a Del Sol Si-R which doesn't excite me, but at least qualifies for the Type R cup. I don't sell anything without driving it, but these two don't look to be keepers.

The surprise of the evening though was the Clio racer. I didn't take it anywhere and wring it out, but it looks to be quite quick from the first drive. Good brakes and mid-engine platform make it very willing to turn in nicely. Torquey, too.

I spent most of my ill-gotten gains fixing up my previously-stock pink Vitz and R32 Skyline. Haven't driven the Vinkz yet, but I'm not too happy with the Skyline. Only pumped to about 670 hp or so, and on medium slicks, it still spends a lot of its time ballistic. Since I dialed out the understeer, it seems like it's mostly going to be good for big drifting and not much else. I know a lot of people swear by this car, but so far it just seems like a toy. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but that's not my definition of good handling.

This is why I went through the game progressivly. On my current save, on my first save I just did what i wanted to do next and then got annoyed that I hadnt finshed hardly any of the amature and begginer stages. This is why now I progressivly go through the game. Only Moving on to the next stage of races when I have fully completed the previous one. I had to cheat a bit though because I bought a beetle cup car insteard of winning one. The MR2 Spyder is a great little car if you havent done the Amature MR cup I suggest you tune it to the max and try that for a challenge. The Road going version of the clio isnt too shabby either although its turbocharged not N/A

I ran this one in the Viper concept. It wasn't even a reall race, MS elise was 16 laps down. has anyone actually run this race looking for competition?

Of the 4 final cars, I was awarded the most useless one. The Tickford Falcon. tried it out around Grand Valley, and realized it needs more cash to make it enjoyable.

I do remember racing the clio, and that it hadnled very nicely. The last time I phisically (IRL) drove a Renault was 2 years ago in Germany. It was a small minim-van type beast with Plastic fenders. top speed of about 80. Not very fun on the Autobahn. I spent more time looking in my rear view mirrors than I did the road in front of me.

Renault has never been high on my list. Remember the "Fuego" ...The one to watch...

AO

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN
on my first save I just did what i wanted to do next and then got annoyed that I hadnt finshed hardly any of the amature and begginer stages. This is why now I progressivly go through the game. Only Moving on to the next stage of races when I have fully completed the previous one.
Well, I am racing progressively. I haven't done any of the Amateur races yet, and I have mostly been running cars I've won, albeit modified in some cases. I won the ZZII in Seattle (I have run some of the Enduros) and without modification, it wasted the competition at the Speedway.

The only "cheating" I've done is once or twice I've bought modified cars from my other save at stock price. Having done that, I'm not sure I'll do it again, just because I want to earn my wins, not bend the rules.

Hey, Alta, what's wrong with the Falcon? I was kind of interested to try it out. I'm kind of a fan of the Aussie V8 super touring racing.

Did the morality barometer hit you Neon?

I did skip the progressive approach to the game, and stuck with the "run what you won" strategy. Works well until you hit the Merc challenge. Have to pick up my first car (SLK Kompressor). Although I have been tempted to simply buy it from my previous trip through the game.

I've only completed two of the enduro's and a handfull of Amateur and professional races. Half of the Rally is done (Grumble) and all but the Merc Challenge in Beginner has been finished.

AO

No, I'm just kind of disappointed by my last GT3 session. I mean, it was fun, but I don't feel very victorious.

I've bought a few cars, and I'm going to have to buy a few more. That doesn't really bother me. I've got half a million credits so I might as well not do the "free mods" trick; it's not really a morality issue.

I guess I just wish the AI would match the fields better. The rally cars were tearing me up in the Beginner GTWC series, but now I've got a couple of cars that will walk all over them. I like to drive as hard as I can, so I guess I'll just have to detune a little to match the field.

I guess I also wish the races were a little harder, and the TT/License tests were slightly easier. They don't seem to balance out very well.

It is not fun if u use car far more powerful and higher in Hp than the AI does. That is the reason I restarted GT3. The first time I finished all just to feel happy. Now I am doing everything again straight from beginneers. For example: I used a Skyline GTs-Mk modded but not full in the Turbo series. I used a new beetle in the beetle cup, not the RSi like I did in my other game.I used my miata LS stock on the Roadster cup too. The point is. Use a car with the same hp level or one of the same the AI uses.

I too had to fight with the Rally cars through the beginner GTWC series. I even burned a few days, as the stock NSX w/ tires was enough on tokyo, but not enough on Super speedway.

I bought a number of low power mods, then went for it. I used qualifying to check my power, and then tuned/detuned to match closer.

Of all the pieces that I wish PD would improve for GT4, the AI abilities and variations are near the top. More tracks, and less repetitive cars are the other 2.

I'm hoping to get bored with GT3 enough to pick up WRC, but it's a long way coming.

I'm in the midst of the rally chore then I've got the merc challenge to wrap up beginner. Which means that I'll face tougher AI.

AO

Originally posted by neon_duke
No, I'm just kind of disappointed by my last GT3 session. I mean, it was fun, but I don't feel very victorious.

He he I kinda know how that feels, when I did the Pro gt Allsrars race, 10 races some 10 laps some 15 laps, took me a week and what did I win??

A red Impreza :mad:
Not A r390 GT1 roadcar which was what I wanted.

He he I kinda know how that feels, when I did the Pro gt Allsrars race, 10 races some 10 laps some 15 laps, took me a week and what did I win??

A red Impreza :mad:
Not A r390 GT1 roadcar which was what I wanted.
You should've done the race via Series Race, bro! :D (BTW, you meant the R390 GT1 racecar... the roadcar is won in some other place... heh, makes it all the worse, eh?)

BTW, I pose the same question as someone else did... does anybody actually run the endurance races for competition? I mean, the cars are so dam-... darned lousy that it's too easy to pick up a victory in a weakling car, so you might as well take a racey car just to get the race over sooner. :rolleyes: How sad that PD didn't make the enduros more competitive...

No I did the race in series during the week, saving it after each race. But stupidly I didnt do the random trick and I won A RED IMPREZA!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

the fury

Oh sorry I mistyped I meant the race version, I already had the roadcar version.

No I did the race in series during the week, saving it after each race. But stupidly I didnt do the random trick and I won A RED IMPREZA!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

the fury
Well, you could always do the entire series over again to try and win an R390 race car. :smilewink

I did it twice again to get that and the GT0-Ne race car as well. By the way your avatar keeps making my comps music go funny.

I agree that some of the races are a lot like going to knife fight with a shot gun.
I Think GT4 should have the HP limit on the races/series to keep things more interesting. It will also cause the expenditure of more cr. and keep you racing to make more money to do more mods.

I did it twice again to get that and the GT0-Ne race car as well. By the way your avatar keeps making my comps music go funny.
:confused: :confused: :confused: What do you mean?

Back