Sudden regrip/snapback (controller)

• Thread starter Mane
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I have found a weird feeling driving some cars just over the limit. This morning I think I discovered why, but I need some additional input.
I think it's the speed sensitivity of the controller (dualshock ps4pro today).

Some cars in some situations start to oversteer, so I apply the opposite lock.

The vehicle responds by suddenly snapping back in the opposite direction.
Say turning into a left-hander, start to apply the power, little snap of oversteer so add some right-hand lock, the car then re-grips and turns into the right-hand wall.

Watching a replay; full-left-lock at 95mph into the corner, the maximum amount of steering is about 45 degrees because of the speed-limited rack on the controller. However, the opposite-lock applies more like 180 degrees of steering thus a great deal more corrective steering angle is suddenly and violently applied.

I need to test further to understand this, but I am very interested to hear whether anyone else has experienced such sudden regain of grip and snapback, whatever input method you use.

Changing steering sensitivity and adding some CSF/TCS/ASM can mitigate this issue, but I don't feel like this should be happening at all, and for sure it's not a handling trait I would tolerate in a real life car.

I couldn't find a thread about this, but I found it difficult to describe, so apologies if this is a known issue.

It seems there is some sort of built in counter-steer assist when using a controller, even with all aids turned off.

I feel the controller is better in some car/track combos than my Thrustmaster T300rs. There is a difference in the way the cars handle switching back and forth between controller and wheel.

I feel like I get this issue with the tomahawk all the time on Tokyo Highway. You make an adjustment one way, adjust the other way and off it goes turning crazy into a wall

I've had the same problem, like the steering is too sensitive on controller..
Kontrolfreek-FPS-Freek-Analog-Extenders-COD-Thumbstick-Grips-for-Playstation-4-for-PS4-Joystic...jpg

Then i remembered i had thumbstick extenders so i put one on the left, now i have more control and the sudden snap back is just enough to regain the grip lost in oversteer.

It's a pretty cheap solution and makes all the steering inputs more precise

It's without any aids, no countersteer.

The car should, depending on input, either spin out or regain grip in the direction of its inertia. Instead it (not all cars, it seems inconsistent) suddenly and violently swerves in the opposite direction like the Automan car taking an American junction. Some cars drift and spin and act appropriately, but sometimes one just behaves all regrip snappy and I can't figure out what causes it.

I feel like the Tomahawk is so different that it may not be very useful for comparison, but I'll check it out. I do have a thumbstick I can try too.

There should some natural counter-steer without input (depending on the steering geometry of the car (let go and steer it with your feet)) but that couldn't make a car regrip and turn so violently.
I don't know if its just a controller thing, I think it could be, but I need more data to draw any conclusions.

with control pad counter assist does not turn off even when disabled in options, you can basically just drift corners without any real steering input

with control pad counter assist does not turn off even when disabled in options, you can basically just drift corners without any real steering input
Thanks for the input. It is completely irrelevant to the topic, hopefully you just didn't understand. For your information, real cars are like this too. Throw the car in, let go of the wheel and steer on the throttle is great fun (don't try it in your dad's car on public road though!! 🤣)

1.13 update
Patch notes confirm that this was indeed an (collection of multi-nested) issue.

The fixes put in place appear to be good (judging from a very quick racing Samba test around Barcelona), and there is no longer the unnatural grip deltas, nor the other problems with impossible physics vs momentum.

I'd like to thank everyone who came in here to tell me their irrelevant and wildly incorrect opinion about countersteer assist, even though I clearly detailed how it mitigates the issue in my original post, and the other people who have "discussed" it with me to tell me its my driving. Sorry you were so wrong.
I don't expect such closed-minded fools to change, and it is sad that this once lovely forum seems so negative these days.

Genuine thanks to those who were interested, and did listen and help.
Interesting that this problem affected all input methods (but not necessarily equally), and I'm really glad we got the first big step of fixing it so quickly.

I'm really looking forward to properly testing it later.

Thanks for the input. It is completely irrelevant to the topic, hopefully you just didn't understand. For your information, real cars are like this too. Throw the car in, let go of the wheel and steer on the throttle is great fun (don't try it in your dad's car on public road though!! 🤣)

1.13 update
Patch notes confirm that this was indeed an (collection of multi-nested) issue.

The fixes put in place appear to be good (judging from a very quick racing Samba test around Barcelona), and there is no longer the unnatural grip deltas, nor the other problems with impossible physics vs momentum.

I'd like to thank everyone who came in here to tell me their irrelevant and wildly incorrect opinion about countersteer assist, even though I clearly detailed how it mitigates the issue in my original post, and the other people who have "discussed" it with me to tell me its my driving. Sorry you were so wrong.
I don't expect such closed-minded fools to change, and it is sad that this once lovely forum seems so negative these days.

Genuine thanks to those who were interested, and did listen and help.
Interesting that this problem affected all input methods (but not necessarily equally), and I'm really glad we got the first big step of fixing it so quickly.

I'm really looking forward to properly testing it later.

sorry it was in relation to the post above "It seems there is some sort of built in counter-steer assist when using a controller, even with all aids turned off."

i get the double snap as well because i apply counter steer and the ps5 is also applying it so over compensate and usually throw myself off the track the opposite way

cant say i ever have this type of snap back in real life though, and i daily some beasts

Still nothing to do with this issue.

It is difficult to describe (and therefore understand what it is from description) but it's also being resolved as described in today's notes, so no big deal. It's a combination of things and not just controller.

As for experiencing built-in countersteer in a real car, I certainly would not recommend it as a daily thing except for stunt drivers. Throw a load of lock, let go of the wheel and the car will centre the steering, then apply a dab of oppo for you. I remember seeing a couple of stunt drivers doing exactly that filming a BMW M5 advert maybe 20 years ago, really cool. You can try letting go of the wheel while maneuvering at very slow speed and see what happens, it's really predictable. Just do it somewhere sensible with lots of empty space.

Back