Suddenly I find myself wanting a motorcycle...

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 28 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Yet I have zero experience riding one. :nervous:

I know I will need to get a license, but would need to purchase the bike first as I don't know anyone with a bike to practice on. Have to do some research on this.

The main reason I am posting here is that I'm pretty sure which bike I want and I wanted to see if anyone here has experience with them. I want a street bike, but I do not want anything crazy fast, and it has to be smaller as I am only 5'6" and 135lbs. This has lead me to do some minor research, but everything I have come across on the internet is nothing but positive comments.

So, anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Ninja 250R? They're nicely styled, not crazy fast, get great mileage (50mpg+) and they're great for someone that is small like myself. The price is also nice, you can get a brand new 2012 model for about $4,000. I would have to purchase one new as I would need financing.

Any comments on experience with this particular bike would be appreciated. (Or just riding for the first time in general)

Yes! Another one joins the group.
The 250 would be a perfect bike for learning to ride street on, light, not much power, good handling, and cheap.
But if you could do it I would seriously recommend riding a dirtbike for a bit before riding on the street. You can get right to the limit on a dirtbike and if you crash you're only going 20-30 mph. It will teach you the basics about what the bike does under certain conditiions. Ie, rear wheel locked, or front wheel locked.
You would be much better off when you actually got to the street because you would have an understanding about what to do and waht not to do if you get into a corner a bit hot or something like that.

Great tip, only problem is that nobody I know owns a dirt bike either, and with my salary I would rather not purchase one just to use it for practice then not ever use it again. Plus I don't have a way to transport it to/from riding places.

Maybe a dual sport then?
A DRZ-400 would be a good bike.
Plus, riding a bike hard is insanly fun and if you had a bike that could go offroad you could ride hard legally.
It's kind if scary for me to think that somebody is riding a streetbike with no dirt experience.
And how old are you? It's a lot easier on an older person to have a more upright position.
If you're 20 then it won't matter.

Then you're mega old. :P

I'm kinda in the same bout you are. I would like to have a motorcycle. But I don't have any riding experience except for a few times on a dirtbike when I was 16. Other than that nothing outside of a bicycle.

Personally I want to do a budget cafe racer. Like out of an old Honda or Yamaha cruiser. Since those seem to be everywhere. It would surely be cheaper than trying to get my hands on a Triumph or Moto Guzzi or something.

And they just look drop dead gorgeous when done right:
yamaha-virago-caf-ra-3_460x0w.jpg

hondacb450caferacer.jpg

But of course there are the inherent dangers of riding a motorcycle. People just don't watch for them.

I was watching some vlogs from a guy on YouTube last night that has a Kawasaki Ninja 250r, and he has a few videos where he almost gets hit. Here's a couple:

Skip to 6:30

Skip to 5:40 (language warning)

Those vids point out the need to keep your eyes peeled, in all directions. When the pickup passes on the right, his lane was ending, but the rider saw what was coming and gave him room. You can see how far over in the lane he'd moved. In the first one, I always approach an intersection as far to the right of my lane as I can get because left-turn poopie-heads can't be bothered to actually go around my piece of road.

As for "budget" cafe racers, nothing that looks like those posted can be called budget.

To the OP, the Ninja 250 is a great starter bike. If you can find a used 500 parallel twin you might like that better. You're gonna drop the bike, so drop one that doesn't matter so much! A little more power, but still nothing like a 600 4-cylinder, but not something you'd be afraid to take out into traffic.

If the MSF basic rider course is not required where you are, take it anyway. Your buddies can't teach you half of what the course teaches you, and they'd teach you wrong if they tried. Friction zone, clutch, braking, swerving, eye movement, you'll get all of that in just a weekend. Youtube is full of vids of people teaching their friends to ride, right?

And gear up!!!! Keep your skin attached to your bones, and you'll live longer and happier. Or is the road softer there where you live than it is here? I've hit the pavement twice, and although I got bruised, I lost no skin and I did not stain the road with vital fluids. I can also speak clearly and chew my own food thanks to wearing a full-face rather than open-face helmet, and I was able to ride home from both incidents. Don't you even think about saying it's too expensive to get the gear!!!!

Last edited:
Happens all the time actually.

Yeah, that's why whenever a new rider slides a tire, they usually go down because they have no idea about what to do. It's the first time that the bike has started to get away from them.

27 seems fine to start riding, you're sensible enough to avoid getting a bike that only .000001% of the population can handle. (XYZ-R1000)

About the gear 👍 . Don't bother riding if you're just going to do it in a shirt and jeans.

If you are set on a sport style bike, also have a look at the Honda CBR250.
Not the CBR250RR lol, that bike has 45 hp.

I don't want anything with more power than what I'm looking at. It's just to get out and ride or cheaper transport to work, I don't plan on racing it. An old friend of mine mentioned something about kevlar mesh gear, so something to look into. I've seen several reviews between the Honda and the Kawasaki, and the Ninja always comes out on top.

I really can't afford to do this right away, so I have time to gather the gear, etc. before I even purchase the bike. (plus I'm stuck with a car I can't get rid of and can't afford both, so another problem in itself)

I haven't ridden a bike, however it can't possibly be that much different then riding an ATV.

^ Either trolling or clueless lol.
When you ride a bike you are part of it, directly connected as one.
Riding an ATV is like you're just sitting on it.
The Ninja seems like the perfect bike for you, still look into a dual sport though.
Even if it has road only tires it'll have a much better seating position.
The Ninja gets a bit buzzy at 65-75Mph, same with a supermoto.

Last edited:
I'd say a Ninja 250 is a fine choice, as R1600 is only going to be on the road there's no real reason to buy a dual sport unless the roads are poorly paved or he was tall or personal preference (or all which is why I got a Supermoto). Similarly given the intended use of the bike, there isn't much need to worry about getting to the limits of grip because it's far more important to be aware of the more immediate danger posed by other vehicles. Though obviously there is similarities between riding a bike and driving a car, people do treat you differently and the level of awareness needs to be much higher for obvious reasons.

The main things to worry about have been discussed, get the gear, be hyper-aware and take some sort of lessons to get you familiar with bike controls. From there unless you plan on riding hard you don't need to worry about getting familiar with over the limit riding and you can learn that at any time but it will help a thousand times if you have more experience with the controls, the tests and lessons should get you familiar with emergency stops and such (I assume).

I've never been dirt riding, or on any closed tracks, but I can safely say now if I wish I can slide my bike happily and can control unintended slides as well (it's honestly not miles away from doing the same on a push bike, for me at least it's easier on the motorcycle because it's more progressive and you can feel it coming if you know the signs). It sounds like a good idea though for a way to learn what will happen over the limit, but I still think this shouldn't be first on the check list unless you want to, baby steps.

Side note I've been on ATVs and motorcycles, the controls are the same but the similarities end there.

I too would recommend the 250 Ninja. I myself have one (2012 Model) and I had no prior experience at all with bikes and being only 5'4", I am rather comfortable with it. Its does tend to get a bit buzzy at the higher speeds but is decent and smooth in the mid-range.

I know I will need to get a license, but would need to purchase the bike first as I don't know anyone with a bike to practice on. Have to do some research on this.

Search for Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) in your state. They should have a program (usually held at community college) where you learn the basics on their bike. I think they had Honda Shadows for mine. The course was three 8 hour days. The first day is all classroom, the next two were hands-on. At the end you take the test and get the license from them rather than the DMV. I think I paid around $300, but this was ten years ago.

Once you get your own bike, you can go back and take the advanced course (which is exactly the same thing except on your own bike) if the insurance discount is worth it.

You could walk into this course with absolutely no experience and come out with a license 3 days later. It's really that easy. The classes usually have long wait-list during the summer so plan accordingly. Good luck.

My first bike was a 2003 GSX-R 600. I still ride it to this day. I could not imagine riding anything smaller, I'm 5'5 160lbs. I've ridden my buddy's 1000 and that is too much. 600 is perfect IMO.

Awesome read. :lol:

Just some advice regarding step 5. If you buy a sports bike the first thing you should buy are frame sliders, before a stand. On eBay you could get both a front and rear stand for $100. There is no need to spend $100 on just a rear stand. Besides maintence the reason for a stand is to get your soft tires off the ground if your bike sits in the winter so having both front and rear would be best.

The Ninja 250 is a great first bike. You could also consider an SV650, quite a bit faster but still a good bike for new riders if you have a mature head. I always discourage new riders from buying new bikes, always better to get something cheaper and secondhand as it is a shame to drop a new bike. As wfooshee said look at a GS500 or similar, a bit faster than a ninja 250 but cheaper and crash better if you drop it, so good advice there.

I am not familiar with the license in the states but get as much training as you can, even additional out side of the mandatory license will benefit you hugely.

Also buy good kit and make sure you wear it. As a New rider you will likely crash but good kit will give you the best chance of not injuring yourself. It really is not fun braking bones or taking skin off to the bone but can mostly be avoided if wearing good kit and riding safely and well within your limits. I have been off twice at more then 80mph and walked away without a scratch due to good quality bike gear.

Also pick your riding buddies wisely as riding with squids will no doubt get you hurt or at worst killed.

Good luck on the purchase, and a welcome to the world of 2 wheels, you will love it. I have been riding for 12 years and loving ever moment of it.

If you are used to average cars the ninja 250 will feel quick.

NINJA 250

0-60mph in about 5.8 seconds

QM 14.5 @ 90mph

Top Speed 110mph

Last edited:
Good luck on the purchase, and a welcome to the world of 2 wheels, you will love it. I have been riding for 12 years and loving ever moment of it.

If you are used to average cars the ninja 250 will feel quick.

NINJA 250

0-60mph in about 5.8 seconds

QM 14.5 @ 90mph

Top Speed 110mph

Ninja 250 is a nice bike... I chose a Suzuki GS500 over it. Personally I like the naked look better, and the bigger engine struck me as a better thing since I know I won't be able to afford another bike for a while. Posting that performance stuff for I'd imagine a newer ninja made me go look for what my bike should run. Turns out a '93 GS500 does 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter in 14.2. So not much faster on the top end but quite a bit more torque :sly:

Ninja 250 is a nice bike... I chose a Suzuki GS500 over it. Personally I like the naked look better, and the bigger engine struck me as a better thing since I know I won't be able to afford another bike for a while. Posting that performance stuff for I'd imagine a newer ninja made me go look for what my bike should run. Turns out a '93 GS500 does 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter in 14.2. So not much faster on the top end but quite a bit more torque :sly:

The GS500's are great bikes, I did my motorcycle test on one of them. Yes not hugely faster but a much better spread of power/torque for easy overtakes. The Ninja on the other hand will need quite a bit more revs for the same kind of thrust.

Any new rider will be happy with either:tup:

All this bike talk is making want to ride so gonna head to the lakes now. Will post up some pictures later:drool:

Another one bitten by the bug.

I'm 35, and have been riding on the road for 20 years. My first "bike" was a Jawa Babetta moped at age 7.

After almost 30 years on 2 wheels I have a few recommendations for potential new riders.

1) Safety while riding on public roads is and will always be priority #1.

You must ride very defensively, but not so much it ruins your ride. Always be aware of your surrounding. If a car is at an intersection stopped and waiting to pull out, watch their front tire for movement. Your brain will comprehend a wheel beginning to move before the cars body. Sounds silly, but it works.
Gear. Wear it.
The best helmet you can afford. Same with the jacket and gloves. Armor is your friend, do not be a squid, wear it. Doesn't matter if it's 110 degrees, wear it.

2) MSF course, take one.
My first 10 years were accident free, I thought I knew it all. I was dense, pathetic, and learned a lot.

3) First bike choice
This can be a very emotional event, with millions of different opinions.
You've got the wife or mom that doesn't even want you to get one, the buddies running 1000cc, and the dealer that says you have to buy 250cc or surely you'll kill yourself.

I walk a different path here. I firmly believe a 5-600cc bike is the way to go when buying a first bike. Why? Because you will outgrow a smaller bike within a month, believe me.

When starting out, you have to exhibit the utmost respect for YOUR capabilities, not the machines potential. You'll experience the bikes potential as your skills increase.

Tires.
The only thing between you and road rash, and after you, the most important thing on the bike.
I run Michelin Pilot Power, or Sports depending on what bike.
I run 30PSI in all tires, always have, always will. This gives you a good balance of warm up, traction, and tire wear.
They will be cold the first few miles, let them warm up, you race GT, you understand.

Ask any biker, and they'll have 1000 recommendations for you so this could go on forever.
If any newbies have specific questions, PM me.
I am in no way the authority, but do know a bit and I'm always more than willing to help my fellow bikers.

My current garage includes.
'05 999R
'04 749
'99 Blackbird
'01 750SS
'00 Monster 900

I'm a die hard Ducati fan.

30psi is nearly flat. Maybe it's because of the bike I have and its weight, but I run 38-40 front, 40-42 rear.

If you've looked at any of these threads, you've seen me preach the gear.

MSF course. Everybody needs one. To get an endorsement now in Florida you have to do one. I wish they could run all those "grandfathered" endorsements through a course, it'd open a lot of people's eyes!

500cc twins make great first bikes. Dirt bikes and dirt riding make even better first bikes! Saying that, I never had the chance, and I've never been been on a dirt bike. (Mom was "You ain't gittin' no motorsickle while you're livin' here!" I bought my bike with money from her house after she passed. Karma, kismet, whatever. It's justice at last!)

30psi sounds alright to me, we run our front tire at 28-30 and the rear at 26-28.
And yes, dirt experience is invaluable to street riding.

I haven't ridden a bike, however it can't possibly be that much different then riding an ATV.

So far from the truth my friend.

Four wheelers and ridden off road, away from lunatic motorists doing 65+ mph driving like A-holes, giving no regard to the man or woman on two wheels.

"Oh, I did not see that motorcyclist coming down the road". You can read about it everyday in the papers. I'll give you the fact that ATV's can be very dangerous, even for the most experienced rider, but it is a far cry from riding on 2 wheels amidst serious traffic in the city, let alone on the freeway.

R1600 - Good luck in your new biking adventure, you'll like it, it's fun. Sometimes it's not so fun :nervous:. Give it time, and you'll see for yourself. Not trying to burst your "biking bubble", but there are 2 types of bikers out there, "those who have laid it down", and "those who will lay it down". Just be careful out there and give full attention to your surroundings. 👍

^All of this.

And just hope that when you lay it down, its actually laying it down.
Lowsiding at 100mph and not hitting anything is fine.
Highsiding at 10mph isin't.

In my opinion, the Kawasaki 250 is the bike to go for if your that size (same as me) as it is the bike that I would have if I ever ride on the road. I have never ridden a bike like this, as I am only 14, but from my experience from bike shows, they are brilliant for people my size. Also, they have very good reviews, so, why not?

I've been riding dirtbikes since i was 4 years old (Started on a little PW50), and racing sportbikes at 15. I have an r6 and recently went out and bought a Ninja 250. The bike is AMAZING and is perfect for everyone. I would consider myself a very good rider (cockyness aside :lol:) and i still enjoy every minute on my 250, I ride it back and forth to work everyday and it's a fun bike to be on. Definatly go with the 250 if you are still looking for a bike. Its something that you can push to the limit and still be CLOSE to legal speed (Within around 20mph above typical 70mph interstate speed) which is what really makes a bike enjoyable and fun. Hope to help you out and get another guy into the one of the greatest sports invented!

I've been riding dirtbikes since i was 4 years old (Started on a little PW50), and racing sportbikes at 15. I have an r6 and recently went out and bought a Ninja 250. The bike is AMAZING and is perfect for everyone. I would consider myself a very good rider (cockyness aside :lol:) and i still enjoy every minute on my 250, I ride it back and forth to work everyday and it's a fun bike to be on. Definatly go with the 250 if you are still looking for a bike. Its something that you can push to the limit and still be CLOSE to legal speed (Within around 20mph above typical 70mph interstate speed) which is what really makes a bike enjoyable and fun. Hope to help you out and get another guy into the one of the greatest sports invented!

Yep good advice. My first bike was a 33bhp 7 speed Supermotard. That bike taught me a hell of a lot and I would not be the rider I am today without thrashing that little thing. Small bike teach you allot but without the harsher learning curve.

Latest Posts

Back