Suggestion: Prevent players from leaving league races with the threat of being banned

United States
United States
Sonic54978
This has been a problem I've been seeing for a while. In most Leagues, players would typically abandon in the middle of a race, which causes many issues for the more competitive racers. These racers would earn less points (depending on their results) and some would end up finishing in last place when they didn't do anything to earn it; all simply because players behind them left the race. In fact, we originally had 20 drivers in one League race, but when it was over, there were only 15 left!

I always thought that League races in Forza Motorsport (especially in the Pro, Elite, and Pinnacle divisions) should be treated as normal eSports events similar to Rocket League. So to prevent (or at least reduce the chances) this from happening and further sabotaging league races, I've came up with a solution:
Any player that leaves in the middle of a League will be permanently banned from that League until it's over. This is supposed to make Leagues fair to everybody and prevent unsportsmanlike behavior. If you were idling or lost connection to the Internet, you would be excused from being banned.

Is this a good idea? What do you think?

Pretty sure points are based off the starting grid. If you start with a grid of 24 cars, 12 people leave and you finish 12th you'll be rewarded for finishing 12/24. I know this because last place is generally 100 points but I've gotten over 600 points for a "last place" finish.

While I agree there should be some sort of penalty for leaving mid race, but banning someone after the first offense might be a bit harsh. It would be difficult to properly identify if someone purposely left the race or was dropped due to internet problems.

I would make it so being banned from that specific league after x amount of times leaving the race would be a last resort. If you left the race you would just get a time penalty until you could race again or a deduction of points in that league, and the time/deduction would increase after each race quit, and after 5 races or something then you would be forbidden from racing in leagues until the next rotation.

While I agree there should be some sort of penalty for leaving mid race, but banning someone after the first offense might be a bit harsh. It would be difficult to properly identify if someone purposely left the race or was dropped due to internet problems.

I would make it so being banned from that specific league after x amount of times leaving the race would be a last resort. If you left the race you would just get a time penalty until you could race again or a deduction of points in that league, and the time/deduction would increase after each race quit, and after 5 races or something then you would be forbidden from racing in leagues until the next rotation.
Oh, okay. Yeah, permaban might be a bit too harsh, so maybe that should take effect after leaving the race a few times-- also while losing points.

I think the ones that cause a massive pile-up in the first corner and then immediately leave should be banned/booted. I had a race during the first week of ForzaRC with the Mustangs where my car was so badly damaged after such an instance that I couldn't even make it up the esses. Instead of being a nuisance for the remainder of the race to those who managed to escape, I decided to leave. Because just like in real life, if your car is too badly damaged to continue, you retire.

I think the ones that cause a massive pile-up in the first corner and then immediately leave should be banned/booted. I had a race during the first week of ForzaRC with the Mustangs where my car was so badly damaged after such an instance that I couldn't even make it up the esses. Instead of being a nuisance for the remainder of the race to those who managed to escape, I decided to leave. Because just like in real life, if your car is too badly damaged to continue, you retire.
Oh wow. I was in the league where collisions were disabled, so when I was writing this, I never had that in mind.

Yeah, FRC was damage on, so tons of people quiting is understandable IMHO for most people. Any chance of finishing ahead of whoever else crashed with you is basically impossible and you might end up being a slow moving road block for the other racers as you slowly travel around the track to get to the pit.

I really don't get why people don't understand the concept of breaking when the other 8 people in front of you have.

It's no real different then day to day traffic.

It's no real different then day to day traffic.

Those people probably never actually experienced day to day traffic. Corner cutters also deserve to be hit with the plague or burned at the stake... It's especially bad at places like Bugatti and Yas Marina.

Should have implemented "Valve competitive system". Players who deliberately quits the race and dont return at around 2-3 minutes will be given a cooldown. First 30 minutes, then grown to an hour on second offense, a day for third, 3 days for beyond.

Should have implemented "Valve competitive system". Players who deliberately quits the race and dont return at around 2-3 minutes will be given a cooldown. First 30 minutes, then grown to an hour on second offense, a day for third, 3 days for beyond.
That shouldn't be a thing at all. Some people just have to up and leave sometimes, and shouldn't be punished because of it. It's all a very hard thing to moderate, really.

That shouldn't be a thing at all. Some people just have to up and leave sometimes, and shouldn't be punished because of it. It's all a very hard thing to moderate, really.
Then it should be divided into 2 modes, casual and ranked. Casual has no consequences for leaving, while ranked has but also has a reminder to commit the race until the end.

Then it should be divided into 2 modes, casual and ranked. Casual has no consequences for leaving, while ranked has but also has a reminder to commit the race until the end.
I still don't think it's a good idea. Banning people because they quit a game early is not appropriate. If anything a point system should be introduced and matchmade with like minded players.

I still don't think it's a good idea. Banning people because they quit a game early is not appropriate. If anything a point system should be introduced and matchmade with like minded players.
So cut the points if players quit?

TBH, I haven't seen many people leaving mid-race dring the FRC Leagues. May have been five or six players out of 24 on average; most of them after the first corner where, with sim damage on, it's easy to be left dead-in-the-water. Of course YMMV based on which tier you're at.

Besides, it's not much of an inconvenience - people who quit don't get points (because duh), but are still counted in the end-race scoreboard, which means that you still get yours. And other than people leaving because their car was totaled by the usual first corner crash, there are also people who get disconnected or have to quit for various reasons.

In other words - I don't really see the problem, but even if I were willing to entertain the idea that there was a problem with people leaving mid-race, I think your solution is far too extreme and doesn't take into account the fact that not all mid-race quitters are rage quitters.

I completely agree that some other unmistakably unsportmanlike behaviors should be punished with suspension from the week's League, tho.

People quit for different reasons too. My internet isn't the best, so I've quit in races before when I start lagging to the point where cars are jumping around. I do that so I don't take people out because I can't tell where I'm at, or others are.

Banning someone from the league for leaving the race would be extreme and unfair even if they left the race on purpose because they were loosing it would be extreme and of course there are many reasons why someone may leave a race including being disconnected.

The thing that bugs me the most about it is that Forza thinks it needs to display a message in the center of the screen telling you that this person has left the race and that causes a problem with visibility while driving. That should be changed, move it off to the corner or something and things would be a lot better.

Back