Suggestion regarding "What kind of car should I buy?" threads

• Thread starter Zrow
  • 19 comments

Zrow

Sweet, delicious
Premium
AndrewPaul
How about a way to group together all of the "what kind of car should I buy" threads in the Cars in General forum? I find these to be pretty useful threads to browse through, especially when in the market for a new car.

Maybe one of those thread prefix/tag things? It's probably not worth a whole sub-forum, but some kind of grouping measure would be helpful.

Really just a sticky thread called "Looking to buy a car? Check here first!" thread would work great. Someone needs to be able to keep it up to date obviously every time a new one (that is worth adding) is created.

Really just a sticky thread called "Looking to buy a car? Check here first!" thread would work great. Someone needs to be able to keep it up to date obviously every time a new one (that is worth adding) is created.
But everyone is different.

And you know the thread would suggest everyone buys a miata/mx5 :D

It would be a thread listing all of the other "What car should I buy?" threads...One would go through them and if one had similar criteria as he/she was looking for, browse that thread and get ideas. If none of them fit, make a new one. Using that logic, we need to remove the search function because everyone is looking for something different.

It would be a thread listing all of the other "What car should I buy?" threads...One would go through them and if one had similar criteria as he/she was looking for, browse that thread and get ideas. If none of them fit, make a new one. Using that logic, we need to remove the search function because everyone is looking for something different.
But the search function is often used for topics. Topics are relevant to many different people.

Everyone is different when it comes to buying a car. That doesn't mean everyone needs a different car but their reasons for buying it will vary.

To discourage someone from discussing their needs and wants in detail, and in what I generally find quite a informative and entertaining thread, would be counter productive in my opinion. And if all threads were placed in one set, how would a Mod decide if there is enough of a difference to justify a new thread.

What about a general product suggestion sub-forum in the Rumble Strip? I know a lot people ask for advice on what to buy, whether it be cars, computers, cameras, whatever.

Limiting everything to one thread would be bad, everyone has different criteria and what not and it would probably end up becoming a jumbled mess.

Guys, Jordan has just eliminated a bunch of useless subforums... I doubt he'd want to create more. Not that the subforums were useless per se, but they weren't well-populated and tended to add confusion.

A new tag (like the F1 tag) would suffice. Most guys have started adding the phrase "another car buying thread" to their thread titles, so it's not far-fetched.

And what's wrong with buying a Miata? :D

I think the thread prefix tag would be fine, really. I don't think a single thread would work, as everyones parameters for purchasing are different.

As niky said, I'm not interested in adding any new forums at the moment. I'm still considering the recommendation for a thread prefix, but I'm not yet convinced that it's something that is posted often enough to really need categorization.

Limiting everything to one thread would be bad, everyone has different criteria and what not and it would probably end up becoming a jumbled mess.

Agreed. Omnibus threads just never seem to work out.

As niky said, I'm not interested in adding any new forums at the moment. I'm still considering the recommendation for a thread prefix, but I'm not yet convinced that it's something that is posted often enough to really need categorization.
I'm exaggerating, but every time I go into the "Cars In General" forum, half of the threads with new posts are "help me pick a new car" or some such. I like going through those when I'm in the mood, but the rest of the time it's kind of annoying. There is a lot of decent content in that sub-forum that gets buried by the 15 year-old looking for the proverbial $4000, fast, unique, fuel-efficient, cheap-to-insure sports car that doesn't exist. My two cents would be to combine "Auto News" and "Cars In General", and give "GTP Car Advice" (buying, selling, modding, whatever) its own forum.

The Ask GTP about your car problems thread works because most car problems have a simple answer... and it's done in a page or two... a car buying thread is sometimes a page or two long... sometimes it's an epic that starts with wishful thinking (page 1), canvassing (page 2-3... sometimes up to page 5), actively looking at cars (pages 4-6)... then buying (page 7, 8, 9)... then a gratuitous amount of pictures (ad infinitum).

By my count... buying threads are about three a week, at most... sometimes one... sometimes none. It's not a huge amount... and it provides a nice distraction from all the quarreling over release dates and threads about "What underwear are you going to use when you do GT5's endurance races". :lol:

Back