Summer of Motor Racing (4H MX5, 1000KM, 9h completed)

• Thread starter ev0lutionX
  • 7 comments
icareless
titleimage.jpg

Welcome to a Summer of Motor Racing​

Yesterday, the 23.05.12 I finished my last exam of the 4th year of my MSc in Bus/Econ. Just in time for the racing season. Summer is not only girls in minimal clothing, ice cream, beer, and Norwegians swimming in the North Sea. It’s also racing. 24 hours of the Ring, Le Mans. F1 at Monaco, Canada, Silverstone, Spa, and finally Monza, which I have tickets for this year!

Yesterday, I also finished the first of the five endurance races I had yet to complete. From last summer to around February I took a long GT5 break. I bought an appartment, and my old setup just didn’t work out in my new place. I had to buy a wheelstand, which is was cheap and easy, and did allow me to race with my DFGT again.

I have already completed Grand Valley 300 KM, 200 miles at Laguna Seca, and Indy 500, which I X1’ed as they are distance races, and all that I did last summer. That was quite boring, and I decided against doing this for the timed races. Also, after a very hard exam earlier this semester, I completed the 4 hours of Nurburgring in the Lexus Weds Sports GT300 IS on Sports Soft, which was an easy win, and not something to write about.

That leaves the 4H Miata on Tsukuba, 1000 km of Suzuka, 9h of Tsukuba, 24 hours of Le Mans, and 24 hours of the Nurburgring. The goal is to complete them all by the F1 Monza GP weekend which is 7-9th of September. I said I finished one already, which is the 4h Miata race, and the report will follow shortly. Fortunately, this race was a lot more interesting than the 4h of the Ring.

For the other four races, I would be happy to take your advice for cars. I like a challenge. I also have a soft spot for Lexus, and everything Italian. I am not what Richard Hammond is, a driving god. I will do mistakes, tactically and technically. I am pretty slow, but atleast I am consistently slow.

Last edited:
The 4 hour of Tsukuba - The Car:

car.jpg

Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89 PREMIUM
Spot the rake? Like a Pro. (Adrian Newey)

The Track:
tsukubalayout.jpg

I thought I would easily own them all in a stock ’89 MX-5 with CS tires. I was wrong, so I bought a suspension kit, a transmission, and the clutch and flywheel. Shortened the gears a bit, and also made the springs a bit stiffer. Gave it some rake, added some camber and toe, and tried again on Sports Hards.

The Grid:
N. de Clercq (NA Special ‘89)
S. Kauppi (1.8 RS ’98)
B. Schumacher (1800 RS ’00)
F. Williamson (V-Special II ’93)
H. Hubbard (1600 NR-A ’04)
C. Berger (J-Limited NA ’91)
I. Careless (Me) (NA Special ’89)
T. Poli (1800 RS ’00)
D. Bonnet (J-Limited NA II ’93)
S. Cabrera (J-Limited NA, J ’91)
A. Ikeda (1.8 RS ’98)
R. Maruyama (VR-Limited ’95)​

Hour 1. Lap 1-51.
Start out well, by the first corner, I am in sixth, ending first lap in fourth, and taking third a lap later. I’m pretty much constantly between 1 and 2 sec behind the leading car for the first ten laps. Around the ten lap mark the 2nd place makes a mistake, and I dive to the inside of turn 4, having gotten the run on him after turn 3 (Dunlop bridge).

The next 15 laps is spent in 2nd behind S. Kauppi and the gap always seem to be 1-2 sec. I lap around the 1:11 mark, with a best of 1:10:6, but I’m not very good at this track, so usually I lap between 1:11:0 and 1:11:5. I’ve also got a new 3rd placed car, with is B. Schumacher (The third brother, Brother Schumacher).

I do some mistakes at this point, and the gap was 2.8 at max. But suddenly the first placed car does a mistake, and I close the gap during lap 25, and make the pass for the lead in Turn 4 on lap 26.

takingfirst.jpg

Taking the lead

Easy, I thought. It wasn’t going to be.

B. Schumacher also makes the pass quite easily, and over the next 25 laps he becomes more aggressive, constantly less than one second behind. I pull away in the corners, but he is so much faster than me that he eats it all up on back straight and over the start/finish line, on the run into T1.

I also realize I may have been pushing my front tires too much. I wanted to do a 1 stop strategy, and it did not seem like the tires would last 100 laps, so I started nursing them. I couldn’t shake B. Schumacher anyway. Brake balance is changed from 3-5 to 1-6 to ease the pressure on the front tires, and I’m not pushing any longer.

Lap times generally increase to 1:12’s but it doesn’t really matter. I pull away enough through Turn 1-4 that I survive another lap. It is not easy for the AI to pass on Tsukuba, especially when you hold the inside line.

1 Hour in and I need to make my tires last longer than the AI’s. He is faster than me. I’m afraid of giving him clean air, so I plan to pit a lap or two later than him, taking less fuel and such I will keep my lead. I can’t make any mistakes though.

Hour 2. Lap 51-101.
I’ve kept the AI behind me, 2nd place changed hands and is now occupied by Hubbard. Schumacher is in 3rd. He is also, a lot faster than me on the straights. On lap 67, he makes his first move.

lostlead.jpg

He moves in

gotitback.jpg

But can't make it around

I lost the lead for a split second, but the outside of turn 1 is a long way around though, and he couldn’t make the move stick.

He does try again at lap 74 as I go slightly wide in the last turn, but again he couldn’t make the move this time either.

1 hour and 45 min in they cut me some slack. Perhaps due to tires? Mine is good for another half an hour, I’ve been taking good care of them. Also, I can finally see the first backmarker now. I try to pass him on lap 94, but he pulls away on the straight as well! I got him in turn 1 on lap 95. 2nd and 3rd placed Hubbard and Schumacher is held up a bit, but passes, and changes positions. Schumi is now in 2nd. Gap around 3 sec.

Lap 98, I lap 11th placed car. No pitting yet.

2 hours in, and still leading. I thought I’d catch a break when I got in traffic, butno. The most I gained was a few seconds, and all that is eaten up a few laps later. Brother Schumacher is closing at between .3 and .5 a sec a lap. After two hours, the tires makes a noticeably impact on my lap times, which now is high 1:12’s. I can probably still make them work for another 20 minutes though. Ideally, I’d pit now, but I don’t want to give the AI clean air to run in.

Impressions half way in:
This race is not boring as I believed it would be, not at all. I drove 50 laps damn consistently. Had I done a mistake it would probably still be possible as the AI does lose some time in pits by taking on too much fuel, but it would have been very difficult. I don’t know what times the AI lap in clean air, but I suspect a lot faster than me.

Hour 3. Laps 101-150.

In lap 104 Hubbard takes 2nd. Schumi pitted. I decide to push hard for two laps then pit on lap 106. Hubbard passes me while I pit. I emerge 4th, and gets 3rd as third placed car pits the next lap. In lap 110, I easily take 2nd back, as the car in front is on bad tires. Hubbard is around 25 seconds ahead of me on lap 110. Out of the pit, it was 30-ish, so I’ve closed down 5 seconds in 5 laps.

Lap 115, Hubbard finally pits, and I pass. 2nd place is de Clerk, only 2 seconds behind, who still has to pit. I pull away FAST the next 10 laps increasing the gap to 20 seconds. It seems Schumi is stuck behind someone on worn tires. (Ironic, considering Barcelona :P).

Clerk pits on lap 127. The Gap to Schumi is 22 seconds. I wonder how fast he will close? Very fast is the answer. At lap 130 the gap is 19 seconds so I lost three seconds over the last three laps…

Lap 134, gap is now ~14 seconds. Resistance is futile. I guess I will go back to nurse the tires.

Lap 140, Schumacher is now right behind. Gap is 1 sec. He makes a move on the outside of T1 in lap 144, but again I defend the inside line and he can’t get past.

3 Hours in, Lap 150. What can I say? I expected the pitstops would cut me some slack and they did. But to no avail. Brother Schumacher is FAST. There is no backup strategy. I thought I’d own them all on Comfort Soft, so the Sports Hard I am currently running, IS the backup strategy. I can’t do one single mistake over the next 50 laps/hour. Brother Schumi will be less than one sec behind the entire way, and he’s already demonstrated what he can do in clean air. If I let him pass, I won’t catch up again. Now I know how it feels to be Felipe Massa. Not very good. I take a 30 minute break, then I sit down again with the voice of Gandalf in my head. THOU SHALL NOT PASS.

quebehind.jpg

Story of the race

Lap 155. Poli has joined us. He takes 2nd from Schumi a split second in Turn 1, but Schumi takes it back immediately. We’re now three cars separated by less than one sec.

Lap 165. Schumi tries an aggressive move on the outside of T2, but this is even more futile than the outside of T1. I keep the position.

Lap 175, I pass two backmarkers, which slows my opponents a little. Gap increases to 3sec.

Final 25 laps. A couple attempts to pass me, but after a while it appears like Schumi and Poli has given up. Maybe their tires are worn. They try no more outside moves. I win in the end by around 1.5 sec.

Top 4
Me
Schumi
Poli
Hubbard (Lapped)

It was much more fun than I expected, though clearly, I'm lucky to have won. I should've brought a better car, or atleast Sports Soft/Racing tires as a backup strategy. I didn't, but I still won. I did not see the AI pit on the last lap as been reported, but we only did 199 lap due to me beeing slow. So that may be why. Next will be the 1000 km of Suzuka, and I hope to start it over the weekend but if the weather keeps up it may not be until next week :)

Excellent write up and good win! 👍 I don't think you brought the wrong tyres, if it was that close then the tyres sound just right to me. This event can be won on CS tyres but, as you found, you need more power and nerves of steel to hold perfect lines for 4 hours!

Shame you're not going to revisit the GVS300 and Laguna200 as I find their combination of length and strategy work to create some of the best endurances (along with the Nurb 4hr) - as long as you don't bring too much of a car along. ;)

You're right, they are probably more interesting. I will revisit them at one point, but first I want to complete the ones I have yet to finish.

I did some testing today for the 1000 km of Suzuka. First, the Lexus SC430 Petronas GT500 car. I was around 20 sec faster per lap in the wet (600 pp). That just isnt gonna work, so I stage 4 turboed the GT300 Weds Sports IS to 580 pp. Im faster in the wet at 100%, and in the dry by quite a bit, but at around 49% wet, after everyone changes to slicks, they are 7-10 sec a lap faster than me.

I have absolutely no idea why, but it makes car selection a bit harder.. :(

Excellent write up and good win! 👍 I don't think you brought the wrong tyres, if it was that close then the tyres sound just right to me. This event can be won on CS tyres but, as you found, you need more power and nerves of steel to hold perfect lines for 4 hours!

Shame you're not going to revisit the GVS300 and Laguna200 as I find their combination of length and strategy work to create some of the best endurances (along with the Nurb 4hr) - as long as you don't bring too much of a car along. ;)

Could not agree more ...the best races in the offline game bar none.

The 1000 KM of Suzuka
Circuit_Suzuka.png

As previously mentioned, I have a soft spot for Lexus. So, when chosing what car to run, I decided I wanted to run the Lexus SC430. The Petronas livery is great, and reminds me of the F1 livery, so originally, I chose this car.

sc430.jpg

The Petronas Tom's Lexus SC430

However, as I tested, I realized that it would make it way too easy. In the dry, I was a couple of seconds faster than my opponents. In the wet, I was lightyears ahead, around 15 sec a lap. Quite clearly, the SC430 would blow the opposition away. This car was ranked in at 600pp.

In my search for a more suitable car I remembered the GT300 Weds Sport Lexus. With a Stage 4 turbo an oil change, and some aero tweak it was ranked at 580pp, as such, a bit lower than previously. Testing proved a lot of close racing. In the dry, I was able to comfortably match my opponents time, and I could pull away around 1 sec a lap if I really pushed through the corners. In the wet, the baby Lexus still did blow the opposition away, but atleast not by 15 sec a lap. An interesting thing, is that while I was faster when the track was more than 50% wet, the GT500 cars left me for dust once the track started to dry. After a testing run on a wet track, the GT500 cars beat me by 7 sec a lap once we all changed to slicks. I have no idea how they suddenly found 7 sec, but oh. I decided to run the Baby Lexus. It looks cool.

is350.jpg

The Weds Sport Lexus IS350 - Awesome on wheels

testing2.jpg

Pre race testing - wet track

Race day, and the track is fortunately dry! I was hoping for a dry track, as that would lead to a more stable and probably a close race. I would be proven wrong due to something I did not consider, but more on that later.

Starting lineup:
S. Pereira YellowHat YMS Tomica GT-R ’08
U. Soininen Motul Autech GT-R ’08
H. Nishikawa Calsonic Impul GT-R ’08
H. Booth Raybrig NSX ’06
S. Bender Eneos SC430 ’08
R. Garrison Woodone Advan Clarion GT-R ’08
I. Careless Weds Sport IS350 ’08
M. Mercier Takata Dome NSX ’06
P. Asensio Epson NSX ’08
B. Hoover Arta NSX ’06
H. Bosch Bandai Direzza SC430 ’06
F. Solano Petronas Tom’s SC430 ’08​

Lap 1. Over the line, and on the run down to Turn 1. The Takata Dome NSX of M. Mercier starts on my inside, and is faster than me down to T1. I realize if I stay on the outside line through Turn 1, I will be boxed in behind the Clarion GT-R and with the Dome NSX on the inside. So, I chose the inside line instead, and really dive into T1. Some hard braking is necessary in order to avoid hitting the other cars at the exit of T1, and I lock up, but avoid contact. I also pass the Dome NSX, and find myself fourth after the hairpin, on the run up to the Spoon curve.

Lap 2. Over the line, and getting the tow of the Autech and Yellowhat GT-Rs in front of me. The Raybrig NSX has already taken the lead with the two GT-R’s in 2nd and 3rd. We go three wide into turn 1, and the baby Lexus emerge victorious. I am now in 2nd. Gap to first across the line was 5 sec, and the end of lap 2, it was 7 sec.

3wide.jpg

Three wide in Turn 1

I spend the next 5 laps closing on the first place Booth in his Raybrig NSX, before making the pass in lap 8. He tries to retake his position on the inside of Turn 1 in lap 9, but unfortunately, the GT500 cars doesn’t like to take that turn at full speed, and though his position was good and speed was a whole lot more than mine, he brakes too early, and misses his opportunity.

On lap 11, Booth pits. My racing hards could probably last a little longer, but I notice a drop in performance and lap times. I decide to pit on lap 12 and do 12 lap stints.

Lap 12: Inlap, with a near spin on the exit of the spoon curve. I take a new set of RH, and minimum fuel.

And that is pretty much what I did not consider. While I take min fuel, the AI takes a full tank, as such, I will gain quite a lot in the pits, atleast for the first stops. I’m not very good at Suzuka though, so I chose to keep my advantage. In hindsight, I shouldn’t, because it made for a lonely race.

I emerge in first, just in front of Pereira in the Yellowhat GT-R. He tries to go on the outside of T1, but I am able to fend his attack off. He has yet to pit, so he’s not really the car I’m battling. He pits on lap 13, and the gap to Booth in 2nd is close to 10 sec. A few lap later on lap 16, the gap is 8 sec, so he is closing.

Lap 20 and disaster spin. On the exit of the Degner turn (Turn 9) I must’ve had a rear wheel on the kerb, as I oversteer to the right when I put my foot down in third gear. All my lead to Booth, has vanished, and he’s on my tail into the Spoon curve. I pull away from .3 sec to 2 sec over the next two laps before Booth pits on lap 22. I stay with my 12 laps stint, and pit on lap 24 taking min fuel again.

During the next stints, not much happen. The gap is stable around 10 seconds for the entire stint. I pit again on lap 36, taking min fuel a third time.

Lap 40. The gap is still stable, though around 20 sec now.

Lap 47 and clearly, my opponent has pitted, as the gap is close to 50 sec now. My inlap is furiously slow, as I have near spins on the exit of Degner, the Hairpin, and Spoon, but I catch all three in time, so I don’t lose a whole lot of time. I pit again on lap 48, taking min fuel for the last time.

Lap 49, and clearly my laps before and after the pit was slow, because even as I took min fuel, Booth is still 20 seconds behind. I try to pick up the pace to manage the gap.

Lap 60, I go in for my fifth stop. Error free stint, and the gap increased by 5 seconds over this stint to 25 sec. I suspend the race, as my impatient friends want to try GT Academy.

On resume, it looks like rain, but as I enter the race, it’s still dry. I take 35 L and a new set of RH, and set off again, disaster looming in Turn 1. As the brake pedal isn’t calibrated yet, my 30% brake input is counted as a 100% brake input. I lock up, and end up in the sand. Fortunately, there is a lot of run off, so I don’t lose too much.

Lap 62 and the gap to Booth suddenly is 45 sec. I have no idea how he lost that much, I suspect he just pitted again.

Lap 63 I lap someone after Spoon. He overtakes me again on the start/finish straight, moves in ahead me, and brakes too early. I try to go on the outside, but he’s squeezing me onto the grass. There is some contact, but nothing major.

Lap 72 and my battle with a backmarker and generally, worn tires ensures that the gap to Booth has fallen to 35 seconds. He pits every 11th lap, so he was in at lap 66th for fresh tires, while I pit this lap for 35L and RH.

Lap 75, and I try to set a lap record. I usually run between 2:06 and 2:07, though when my tires are worn the lap times can get as high as low 2:08’s. I set a fastest lap of 2:05.5.

Lap 76 and of course, without even trying, I set a lap of 2:04.3. Guess I’m getting used to the car/track combo. Gap is back to 45 seconds.

Lap 84, 48,837209% into the race, I pit for 37L and RH. I thought this race would be closer, as I run roughly as fast as the Raybrig NSX. I do gain a lot in the pits though, and no major disasters has happened yet, leading to a lonly race with a quite constant gap.

As I exit pit, the gap is around 30 sec. Booth didn’t pit though, he’s probably gonna pit on lap 88, and I will keep my lead, and I realize I’ve won this race.

Lap 100-172 can be described as a lonely drive to the finish line. The gap pretty much remain constant, increasing while I’m on fresh tires, decreasing as they get worn. I have a blondie moment when I forgot to pit, and thought I’d run out of fuel. I was pretty empty as I pit as it suggested 100L, but I made it. RH all the way, and across the line, ages before everyone else. I lapped everyone but the 2006 NSX’es.

Final order:
I. Careless Weds Sport IS350 ’08
H. Booth Raybrig NSX ’06
M. Mercier Takata Dome NSX ’06
B. Hoover Arta NSX ’06
P. Asensio Epson NSX ’08
R. Garrison Woodone Advan Clarion GT-R ’08
S. Bender Eneos SC430 ’08
S. Pereira YellowHat YMS Tomica GT-R ’08
H. Nishikawa Calsonic Impul GT-R ’08
U. Soininen Motul Autech GT-R ’08
F. Solano Petronas Tom’s SC430 ’08
H. Bosch Bandai Direzza SC430 ’06

babylexus.jpg

The Baby Lexus laps its bigger brother

Unfortuantely, this race was not as interesting as the previous. Thus I vow to do a much more throughout research before the 9H of Tsukuba. The problem was really the fact that the AI was so much more faster than me while running slicks on a slightly wet track, as such I wanted a car that could at least keep up in the dry. I did not consider the fact that I would get away with faster pit stops though, and in a dry race, that really made the difference. After that, it was all about managing the gap, and avoid stupid things. Over the six hours, I did spin three times, forgot to pit once, and hit a backmarker twice. In other words, I did not lose too much time doing silly stuff, I gained a whole lot more in the pits.

Onto the 9H of madness/Tsukuba. I hope I will have it done by next week.

The 9h of Madness

r1.jpg

Car: Aston Martin V12 Vantage
1526 kg (164 @ 13 ballast)
374 bhp
500pp

Lineup

1. Carbon R (R34) '04
2. Mine's Skyline
3. Lancer Evolution VI '00
4. Nismo 380RS Super Leggera
5. Gran Turismo 350Z RS
6. 350Z '04
7. V12 Vantage '10 (me)
8. Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01
9. SKyline GT-R S-tune R32 '00
10. Option Stream Z '04
11. Amemiya FD35 RX-7
12. CTR230R '08

3rd by the end of lap 1. I'm chasing down the leading Carbon R and Mine's Skyline. I pass the Skyline in T2 on lap 2 and the Carbon R in T4. Realizing that the Carbon R is holding the Mine's up, I have an "accident" placing me fourth, with the 380RS and Carbon R just ahead. Somehow in the carnage, the Skyline got into the lead.

I take down both the 380 RS and the Carbon R the next lap and then I start eating away at the lead the Skyline built.

The next 16 laps I close slowly. Gap was 6 sec, it is now 4.5 sec. Mine's catching some traffic, reducing the gap to 2.2 sec. On Lap 20, I hit enough traffic, so the gap is back to 4 sec, which I reduce by .2 or .3 a lap to 2.5 sec at lap 25. We approach more backmarkers, and I get him in T4 on lap 27, however, the winner of the drag race on the back straight is the Mine's. I squeeze him a little on entry to the last corner, and surprisingly, he gives up easily (no contact). The Mine's make a run for first on the start/finish straight, but has to give up.

r2.jpg

This race's rabbit, the Mine's Skyline

Dissapointingly, the Mine's soon get stuck behind a backmarker, causing me to extend the gap to 10 seconds, before he gets past the slower car.

Lap 38: Gap 53 seconds, the Mine's obviously pitted. I go in on lap 39, after 40 minutes for 45L and RH. I emerge in lap 39 11 sec ahead. By lap 45, he's closed it down to 3 sec, before I go past a backmarker train, and my lead increases again.

Lap 65: Gap 9 sec, though I pass the 3 car train mentioned previously again. The Mine's gonna love that.

Lap 76: Mine's pitted, cause the gap is now 1 lap. My tires are still good, so I stay out for a bit. I pit on lap 82. I see the Mine's passing as I enter pit, so I guess the gap is around 1 min. 1h 30 min completed and I suspend.

Returning for another stint in the evening, full tank and RH. Emerging first by 13 sec.

Lap 90: Gap is 5 sec, but lots of traffic.

Lap 95: As we both clear the traffic, the gap is 12 sec.

Lap 115 and Mine's pit, I lead by a lap again, but I will pit in on lap 120. Gap on exit is 30 sec. I can stop pushing and relax for a while. He closes the gap by 10 sec to 20 sec during his next stint, but as he pits on lap 150, I lap him again.

On lap 155 I see the Mine's in my mirrors, one lap down after having pitted. As the Mine's on fresh rubber he is a lot faster than me, and beeing a gentleman, I let him pass and unlap himself. He takes 12 seconds on me over the next 5 laps as I pit on lap 160. I come out still in 1st, only 3.5 sec ahead. Close!

Lap 170, the gap is less than 1 sec, but we hit traffic again, and I pull away.

Lap 200 is my inlap, the Mine's Skyline already pitted so the gap is back to 1 lap. I take full fuel and RH. Something must have happened recently, cause I exit pits a full 35 sec ahead of the Mine's. I'm not sure why, the gap before he pitted was only 15 sec. He must've hit a bad spot of traffic.

21 lap later on lap 221 I, for the first time, lap the Mine's Skyline on the track. I'm not sure why, he is in clean air and thus should be faster.

Lap 242: I've tried to pit twice. Entry speed is well below 100 kmh, but the car slides out on track both times. On lap 242, my tires are gone and I drift every corner. It is a very slow lap, and I take pit entry at 40 km/h. Annoying, as I did not change my braking spot for pit entry.

As I emerge from the pit lane, the gap is again very close. I come out 2nd, 2.5 sec behind the Mine's. I lost a lot of time due to this, but I don't really worry. We soon catch traffic, and I pass the Mine's for the lead again.

I pit again on lap 280, gap on entry is one lap as the Mine's already did his scheduled stop. Emerge 20 sec ahead. Pushed hard and drove error free on this stint!

I keep up with the pushing, really wanting to see how fast this car can go around. Generally, I lap around the 1 minute mark, with high 59's on fresher tires. However, it is a long time since I've pushed. I do some low 59's before the tires make any further attempt futile. On lap 316, I realize I may have been pushing them too much. I'm 4 laps away from making my 40 lap stint, and the tires already gone. I pit after a very slow lap. Gap is 20 seconds on pit exit, increasing to 1 lap as the Mine's pit a little later.

I decide to throw the 40 lap stints plan out of the window, as the Mine's doesn't make 40 laps, I don't really need to either. The gap is quite constant over the next stint, once again when I come out of the pits on lap 356 the gap is 20 sec.

Next stints only last for 35 laps, as I push and set a new fastest time of 59.015. I should be able to do faster, so I keep pushing. 7 laps in the next stints I set a time of 58.670. I keep pushing, doing sub 59's on fresh tires, but tires are soon gone again. Still though, I lap between 59s and 1m quite consistently now, around a 1sec improvement. I stay out till lap 425, having extended my lead quite much. As I come back on track, it's around 50 sec.

Lap 457 and the victor is decided I guess, as I come out of the pits with 1h and 5 min to go with the lapped Mine's Skyline behind me. As I'm on fresh tires, I'm not about to let him pass again. I'd rather see how fast I can pull away.

Lap 464: New fastest lap 59.390. I pit again on lap 490, the Mine's somewhere +1 lap behind me. 30 minutes to go, this will be a 5 hour stint till completion!

The race ends with 521 laps completed. A-Spec level 40 thank you. The Aston's PP at race end is 495.

Final results

1. V12 Vantage '10 521 laps
2. Mine's Skyline 519 laps
3. Amemiya FD35 RX-7 517 laps
4. 350Z '04 513 laps
5. CTR230R '08 510 laps
6. Nismo 380RS Super Leggera 509 laps
7. Gran Turismo 350Z RS 507 laps
8. Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01 505 laps
9. Skyline GT-R S-tune R32 '00 504 laps
10. Carbon R (R34) '04 504 laps
11. Lancer Evolution VI '00 493 laps
12. Option Stream Z '04 489 laps

I should've detuned the car further to 480-490 pp in order to make a closer race. In the first part of the race, I got the close and epic race that I wanted, but as I learned the car/track combo better, my laptimes generally decreased by a second, which is a lot. Additionally, for some reason, the Mine's Skyline suddenly stopped beeing fast in clear air. I'd take a car that let you lap just below one minute with this grid. I can definitively recommend the Vantage, it's a great car!

I did already start doing the 24h of Le Mans, though I aborted two attempts. Everyone does it in the R10.. which was the car I wanted to do it in. Due to this, I went for it in the CLK-GTR instead. However, I do need cockpit view, and such, I aborted 4 hours in. I'm not sure when I will do an attempt for real, or how long it will take.

Long, I guess. I did the 9h in two days, but I had a lot of spare time those days. I don't at the moment.

Also, quick question: Stage 4 turboed or stock R10 for 24h Le Mans ?

Thank you for reading!

Back