Sunset at Le Mans is incorrect... by about 120 degrees.

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So this something I noticed recently and it is actually bugging the hell out of me, and those of you who have been to Le Mans during racing week will have probably noticed this also: the sun is in a completely incorrect position at Le Mans for Sunset, and we're not talking minimal details, we're talking by an entire 120degrees.

Currently the game has it at the bottom of Mulsanne, which is completely incorrect, because the sunset usually curves over and in the direction of Golf Curves leaving towards Indianapolis, as show here on Suncalc (which is currently very glitchy for some reason) for a typical June evening at the circuit:

uueV9wt.png

For reference, Mulsanne Corner is where you can see 'Golf Des 24 Heures' and the sunset position is the darker orange line.

Also, before some of you say "maybe they scanned it in winter", here's where sunset is in winter:

j9cexdw.png

Same as before, the darker orange line is the actual sunset position and I've used the lighter orange to show you guys where the game has put sunset, last time I checked, the sun didn't set south...

Why am I so bothered about this? It's because I can't recreate this shot I took in 2017 in the aforementioned location of Golf Curves heading towards Indianapolis:

2YvEbHN.jpg

Photomode in Gran Turismo ultimately lead on the path towards motorsports photography, so it would have been cool to make exact replicas of my real world shots in Gran Turismo Sport.

Obviously it's probably a massive job to do currently via a patch or update, but hopefully they fix it for the rumoured PS5 title because it kinda come across to me as something Polyphony did just because they feel it looks better in their opinion.

Also, apologies if I've butchered the image formatting, I can't seem to scale images down for some reason.

Well this on a whole new level as far as complaints about a game goes. :lol:

On the other hand, it gives you photo opportunities real photographs at Le Mans will never be able to achieve, bringing another aspect of creativity altogether. Think outside the box!

Why am I so bothered about this? It's because I can't recreate this shot I took in 2017 in the aforementioned location of Golf Curves heading towards Indianapolis:

2YvEbHN.jpg

Photomode in Gran Turismo ultimately lead on the path towards motorsports photography, so it would have been cool to make exact replicas of my real world shots in Gran Turismo Sport.
That shot is freakin brilliant!

Well this on a whole new level as far as complaints about a game goes. :lol:

On the other hand, it gives you photo opportunities real photographs at Le Mans will never be able to achieve, bringing another aspect of creativity altogether. Think outside the box!

Still good compare in other game there were people complain about 1 tree on Nords missing.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Bathurst also has incorrect sun position. Although haven’t checked myself.

Probably something to do with baked shadows and is an intentional design choice to save time or resource when building the tracks.

Interesting, I am always curious about time of day to real settings in video games compared to the real thing and this seems to
be a pretty major oopsie but as the previous post said they changed Monza and RBR so maybe if the right people read it.

So this something I noticed recently and it is actually bugging the hell out of me, and those of you who have been to Le Mans during racing week will have probably noticed this also: the sun is in a completely incorrect position at Le Mans for Sunset, and we're not talking minimal details, we're talking by an entire 120degrees.

Currently the game has it at the bottom of Mulsanne, which is completely incorrect, because the sunset usually curves over and in the direction of Golf Curves leaving towards Indianapolis, as show here on Suncalc (which is currently very glitchy for some reason) for a typical June evening at the circuit:

uueV9wt.png

For reference, Mulsanne Corner is where you can see 'Golf Des 24 Heures' and the sunset position is the darker orange line.

Also, before some of you say "maybe they scanned it in winter", here's where sunset is in winter:

j9cexdw.png

Same as before, the darker orange line is the actual sunset position and I've used the lighter orange to show you guys where the game has put sunset, last time I checked, the sun didn't set south...

uueV9wt.png

j9cexdw.png

2YvEbHN.jpg

Obviously it's probably a massive job to do currently via a patch or update, but hopefully they fix it for the rumoured PS5 title because it kinda come across to me as something Polyphony did just because they feel it looks better in their opinion.

Also, apologies if I've butchered the image formatting, I can't seem to scale images down for some reason.

The biggest travesty is that it took 6 replies for someone to even mention what a stunning photo that is that you captured, that definately deserves to be in the opening credits in the next GT!!!

@Phaceless_Ph Now that I've said that, it's actually a little low res for a background image. Do you have a higher res version you don't mind sharing? Sorry for being so demanding!

Will do once I'm back from Monaco :-)

The biggest travesty is that it took 6 replies for someone to even mention what a stunning photo that is that you captured, that definately deserves to be in the opening credits in the next GT!!!

I did ask Tom from Polyphony when I met Kaz Yamauchi and Taka-san at Rome E-Prix last year, he told me to email him about it, didn't get a reply, probably went to his junk folder lol.

Back