Supercars

  • Thread starter Thread starter kikie
  • 48 comments
  • 1,637 views
G.T
Caterhams? I don't think so.

They have to blend good acceleration with top speed IMO. Caterhams have the acceleration, but not the top speed.

But with the top of the range being a 2.6, is that a huge surprise?
 
G.T
Caterhams? I don't think so.

They have to blend good acceleration with top speed IMO. Caterhams have the acceleration, but not the top speed.

Agree - no car that costs under £30k new could be classed a supercar
 
What about the Smart Roadster?

It's not a supercar, but it's a super car!
big_gay_al.jpg
 
It is not one too slow to be one and Smart Cars suck.
 
Elegy
Well, we could always do what GT4 does...set an HP figure as the dividing limit and be done with it. :)

EDIT: And, so sorry, but...I've not heard of Caterham before. :dunce:
Were not looking for a compromised definition for us all to agree on, a Bhp figure again will not show whats a supercar and whats not, theres 500 and 600Bhp cars that arn't supercars, at the same time theres 300Bhp cars that are supercars so setting a Bhp won't work, as I said, setting a minimum level of performance won't work either you could easily knock cars like the Countach, Muira, Testarossa ect out if you do any of that. To get a definitive list of supercars you'd need to get all the cars seperated by age, and for each generation have a different set of parameters for the cars to be classed as a supercar. Again Bhp is not going to be a factor here, it's all relative to what normal cars are achieving and setting limit to how much better than the norm a car has to be to become a supercar. any normal cars are getting faster and faster year by year so in a few years supercars from the 90's will seem like supercars from the 70's do now.

Caterham are a speciality car manufacturer here in the UK, they build cars based on the Lotus super seven, very light bare bones sports cars. Do a google search.
 
A good example being the Isdera Commendatore 112i

408 hp but 213mph.
 
Well, if nothing else, it'd make things a hell of a lot easier. In the short term, anyway (you ain't kidding about how fast the HPs on your average daily drivers are going up year by year). I never really did like how convoluted car classification can get... :crazy:
 
aren't supercars not; limited edition and hand made???
 
Elegy
Well, we could always do what GT4 does...set an HP figure as the dividing limit and be done with it. :)

EDIT: And, so sorry, but...I've not heard of Caterham before. :dunce:


Theres a Caterham in GT4.
 
Is there? Huh. Doesn't surprise me that I missed it; I didn't realize there was a Plymouth in the game for a while, either. :dunce: :sick:
 
kikie
aren't supercars not; limited edition and hand made???
No, they don't have to be.
 
A supercar to me is a car that I'll never own unless I win the lottery and it's insanely fast...*see Aston Martin DB9 or Vanquish. Now, cars like the Carrera GT, Ford GT, Koenigsegg, the Blue Devil C6, and the Veryon would be hyper cars in my opinion. Cars that are absolutely insanely fast and that give me and everyone else around me a woody. Note: The Enzo so so ugly it would never excite me.

I don't think luxury has anything to do with the basis for a "supercar". The definition of this term has evolved since the early years. I WANT Airconditioning in my supercar/hypercar dammit.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

The term supercar is now hard to really define now since some of the cars that arent looked at as exotics are now getting close to the current exotics. I used to think that supercars are cars that are faster than the common car, rare, beautiful, and way out of reach from the majority with its 6 digit price.

Since the new Z06 and Viper have the HP close or more than the current supercars, I just think the term supercars is now diminishing. Maybe the current supercars need to go up to the 1000HP mark to recreate the word SUPERCAR? HP to HP is not a very good argument anymore and so is looks. I would say that a supercar should now be defined mostly as being faster than the common cars, very limited, and not in the reach of the average people. :O
 
I'd have to put a separation between a GT car and a Supercar. Grand Tourers, are stylish, fast responsive and expensive, think SLR, Vanquish, Murcielago. They are however heavy, and are filled with electric nonsense and stupid paddle gearboxes (some of them).

A supercar is similar, in that it is stylish fast, responsive and expensive. But it must weigh as little as possible and leave all of the control to the driver. For a car to be Super, it absolutely must scare me every time I drive it with monstrous power, huge speed and the constant threat of me losing contol and flying into a ditch.

I drove a TVR Griffith B340 once, I was white and shaking afterwards after having it all over the road. BRILLIANT.

GT cars hold your hand as you drive (to an extent) a supercar will try to bite it off. That isn't to say a GT car is soft, I'm sure I could crash a Vanqush if given the chance, but I bet I'd crash a Sagaris quicker.

Kurtis.
 
How about, a Supercars must have all of the following-

Performance
Distinctive Design
Technology
Spirit
Presence

Without these, IMO it's just a sports car.
 
I think there are several factors that combined would give you a decent definition. I don't see why a GT can't be a supercar. Maybe 2 out of three gets you into the club. Top speed over 190, some sort of hand built or price exclusivity to them, and some kind of weight limit, maybe 3500 lbs. The Ford GT is pretty porky at 3468lbs, but still fast (3.7 and punching 200mph) and exclusive (and expensive) enough to make the cut. The Vette Z06 is (will be) pretty common, but the engine is hand assembled, only 3100 lbs, and unconfirmed reports of it lapping the ring in 7:40.

In fact, the way I see it, you could pretty much define supercars as "expensive performance" except for TVR, Corvette, and the Viper. Everything else that fast is SO expensive, it pretty much falls right into the mold. It's the Vette, Viper and the TVRs that are causing such a quandry about the true definition of a supercar because they're uber fast but cheap.
 
a supercar for me is a car that is good looking, light, powerful, handles the corners so well it makes you feel like a driving god (there is no such thing as a driving god though), but most importantly it must be exclusive. it does not have to be practical at all, in fact it should be simple because the main thing a supercar is supposed to do is perform very well around a track, good example being the ferrari f40 and the ultima gtr (dunno if u can call an ultima exclusive). the merc slr cant really be called a supercar cuz it's heavy, it's an auto and it does not look like something u could use in a track everyday...it's more of a 'super gt' or a 'super-tourer', it's in a class of it's own.
 
skicrush
It's the Vette, Viper and the TVRs that are causing such a quandry about the true definition of a supercar because they're uber fast but cheap.

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I agree with you right there! :O In my opinion, I think its either that the people are going to have to fit in Vipers, Corvettes, TVRs as "supercar" status or the supercars are going to have to push up their performance to keep the Corvette ans such away from the club. :O
 
To me, its a car that defines speed.
A car that can get the 200Mph mark, and is fast, with a sleek design to match. Its car that can easily tople street cars.

Its a car that can easily put speed, performance, and money together.
Lamborghini, imo, as always been a supercar company. Ferrari and Porsche, are supercar and sports cars.

A supercar to me, is a car that really has....the look, the money, and the specs to perform at the top of the charts.
 
Back