SupergroupsMusic 

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Messages
33,150
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
Okay, so lately I've been going through a bit of a phase where I'm listening to supergroups. I went through Audioslave (Soundgarden/Rage Against the Machine) and Velvet Revolver (Stone Temple Pilots/Guns n' Roses/Wasted Youth) and even The Dead Weather (The Kills/The White Stripes/Queens of the Stone Age/The Raconteurs). And while they've all been fairly solid in their own way, none of them have been particlarly super. They've all played up their joining of bands as a marketing tool.

I guess the reason I'm saying this is because I've just heard about another supergroup that based on their lineup sounds really good, but I don't want to be disappointed by them because of who they are. They're called Them Crooked Vultures, and it's made up of John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin being the original har rock band), Dave Grohl (Nirvana being the definitive grunge band and Foo Fighters the only post-grunge band that didn't suck) and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age being one of the very few bands that seems to play music for the sake of music.

So are supergroups a good thing? Can a supergroup that doesn't suck actually work?
 
You should check out Temple of the Dog and Liquid Tension Experiment, even though they aren't really supergroups. TotD is made up of Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, and the bassist of Pearl Jam and a few other guys. LTE is even less of a "supergroup" than ToTD since they are just Dream Theater minus the singer and a different bassist. Still worth checking out though. 👍

The only real supergroup I know of is Chickenfoot, made up of Joe Satriani, Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, and Chad Smith. They are pretty good, but nothing that great.
 
Yeah, Ive got Temple and Liquid Tension - I'm a massive fan of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Dream Theater -but neither band really markets themselves as a supergroup.
 
Foo Fighters, though they also kinda suck. (Nirvana and Sunny Day Real Estate)
 
Supergroups can be a good thing. TotD would be a good example which someone else mentioned.
 
Temple of the Dog came out with 1 album, so I don't really know if they can be classified as a legitimate supergroup... I got a couple more:

A Perfect Circle (Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails)
Angels and Airwaves (Blink-182, The Offspring, 30 Seconds to Mars)
Chickenfoot (Van Halen, RHCP, Joe Satriani)

None of them are particularly spectacular, but all are worth listening to. My personal favorite supergroup is Velvet Revolver.
 
A Perfect Circle is really good.
 
A Perfect Circle is great, my only complaint is that Maynard has basically brought Tools sound to the same as theirs. I don't mind it, but I miss the old Tool.
 
Temple of the Dog came out with 1 album, so I don't really know if they can be classified as a legitimate supergroup... I got a couple more:

Not to mention that the 1 album was made before any of the participants made it big.
 
Don't forget Hellyeah with Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and guitarist Greg Tribbett, Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell, Damageplan bassist Bob Zilla, and former Pantera, Rebel Meets Rebel and Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul. In execution it was good, but not amazing.

If you're into heavier material, I deeply suggest finding Roadrunner United: All Star Sessions, which is a whole album devoted to mash-ups like above listed and other suggestions in the thread. Click the name and you'll get the Wiki page. 👍



Cheers,
Jetboy
 
You read my mind Jet. =)

I suggest any Prog Death fans out super-group Barren Earth.. Very very awesome music, reminds me of Opeth a bit :)

Lineup:
Mikko Kotamäki – Vocals (Swallow The Sun)
Olli-Pekka Laine – Bass (Ex-Amorphis, Mannhai)
Kasper Mårtenson –Keyboards (Ex-Amorphis, Ben Granfelt Band)
Janne Perttilä – Guitar (Rytmihäiriö)
Marko Tarvonen – Drums (Moonsorrow)
Sami Ylisirniö – Guitar (Kreator, Waltari)
 
Power Metal fans may want to check out Dream Evil... their songs do have a heavier edge than most power metal bands...
 
Back