Surely it's not WMP this time...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 6 comments
  • 592 views

ExigeEvan

Premium
Messages
17,192
To begin at the beginning.

When I got the latest RHCP album Stadium Arcadium I found that the last few songs on disc 2 (Mars/Jupiter....) had their titles jumbled up. But I simply put this down to a WMP error.


Now today, for Xmas I've been given the Radio1 Live Lounge 2006 and well, all the songs are from Foo Fighters Skin and Bones album! Except their not, they're just labeled that way!

So has anyone had the same/similair problems?

[EDIT] And now I've ripping disc 2 and the same problem has occured! Disc two is supposedly full of Coldplay/RHCP/Cure etc etc.

But what I have noticed is that the first tracks on both CDs are correctly labelled! So it looks like someone working in the factory has copied and pasted play lists but only checking that the first tracks are the same :dopey:
 
Been there, got sick of that.

It did it with MTV Ibiza '99 twice, first time labelling them the wrong so CD1 was CD2 and vice versa, then when I got my laptop I did it again but this time got Cream 2000 track names.

Another thing is when it decides it doesn't want to name them at all. It did that with both of my Gatecrasher classics collections (1+2), both 3cd. That was a mighty pain in the arse typing all the info out.

Why can't Microsoft make a media player that works.

One other thing about WMP while I'm here, when I went to burn a cd, it refused to copy it right at the end of the process, but be fine with the second disc, wasting the first, so say I wanted to burn 3 cds, it'd be 6.

Nero FTW.
 
But surely it can't be WMP in my case! I don't even have skin and bones!
 
That doesn't matter to WMP, it'll pick anything it thinks is right and throw it at you.
 
I don't think you realise.

It showed the entire playlist of Skin and Bones. Now I do have some of the songs in Skin And Bones but certainly not all of them.

So unless it grabbed the data off the net, something I wasn't aware that it did.
 
I think it does, because I don't see how else it'd identify it wrong, it's not like every CDs data is stored in WMP in case you have the album and need it to label them.
 
WMP and most other sites use a special disk ID that's transferred from the disk onto the mp3s when you rip/convert. Unfortunately, there's no set standard on those id's and there tends to be overlap sometimes. It gets worse when the main CDDB site (FreeDB) is maintained by users who have no set quality standards. You'll find all manner of typos, punctuation/grammar errors, as well as mislabeled disks on there. There's not much you can do about it other than try a labeling specific application like MP3Tag to try searching the FreeDB archives or manually labeling them.
 
Back