"Surviving Rookies" video tutorials

• Thread starter JohnBodin
  • 11 comments
United States
Indianapolis, I
Fellow iRacer Scott Hanley posted these "Surviving Rookies" videos on YouTube -- iRacer Eric Bailey2 summed-up the value of these videos very nicely:

Eric Bailey2
Lukas Gotsch
someone crashes in front of you...no chance to avoid the crash...your out of the race.
this happens nearly every day....

this is way too depressing
From now, everytime I read "can't avoid the crash" I invite people to watch and learn from the following videos. 40 minutes of your time will make you a better driver and, more important, less frustrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U&list=PLNW4gXU6_ObznDPIqXA-YtdWuBKZRlA2P&index=1

Thanks to Scott for putting these videos together -- there's a lot to be learned here, and even though the videos focus on oval racing, everything there applies for road racing as well.

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gH_rfWRqs&feature=share&list=PLNW4gXU6_ObznDPIqXA-YtdWuBKZRlA2P

Part 3 (of 3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gH_rfWRqs&list=PLNW4gXU6_ObznDPIqXA-YtdWuBKZRlA2P

At around the 10:00 mark in this third video, Scott says the following:

I've drawn all of these examples from the Street Stock series, but I promise you, the same approach works in the Rookie road series, too. That's where I first learned these skills, and I find they work on both road and oval equally well.

So, practice, be patient, and above all, be willing to think of yourself as a "rookie," not the Hall of Fame veteran. Approach each race as a chance to learn and gain experience, and your skills and confidence will grow . . . and you'll have more fun.

So true, IMO.

And, as Scott says in the videos:

Keep in mind the 3 rules:

1) Look up the track and anticipate trouble;

2) Recognize the trouble as soon as it begins, and;

3) Slow down for trouble . . . and then race, but race wisely

EDITED TO ADD: Can't get the YouTube tags to work properly for some reason. :(

part 1 video:

part 2 video:

part 3 video:

John to get the Youtube tag to work you have to use the letters and/or numbers after the watch?v=. For example the link to the part 2 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gH_rfWRqs&feature=share&list=PLNW4gXU6_ObznDPIqXA-YtdWuBKZRlA2P you would use the bold inside the youtube tags.

Thanks for the videos.

Thank you thank you thank you. as I said on ISR , had my first ever rookie oval race for Sim Racers asia and this couldn't have come at a better time to watch.

Thank you thank you thank you. as I said on ISR , had my first ever rookie oval race for Sim Racers asia and this couldn't have come at a better time to watch.

I was just about to write the same thing, my first last night too (same race)... I wish I watched this first!

I was just about to write the same thing, my first last night too (same race)... I wish I watched this first!

:LOL: yeah , this video made me want to race it even more now. never knew there is so much fun in oval

The guy making the videos under estimates the other cars. When I was in rookies I didn't have a problem missing a crash. It was the 10 guy behind that didn't know what a brake pedal is that gave me problems.
Slowing down for a crash like in video 3 was a nightmare. Because never once did the guy behind me do the same. Even if it was a light lift off the gas.

The real solution is to "give up" or kill them with pace (lap times).

If the track is Charlotte, give up, the draft won't let you out run the pack. Don't run a qualifying lap, start from the back and get to last place as soon as possible. Then you can slow down to miss wrecks without getting hit every time.

If it is a short track like USA then give yourself an hour of practice to get a good lap time mastered. Then run a qualifying lap. Almost any time will put you in 2nd or better. Then when the green flag drops take a deep turn 1, then run. Get a good gap on them then start watching out for the lap cars.

Everyone in rookies thinks they can "race" wheel to wheel. Don't trust them. If they want your spot give it to them and watch them crash in the next corner.

I would like to again thank John bodin for posting this. I started my Oval rookie career when/just before he post this video. and followed it. in less than a month. i did plenty of race and I am a promotion away from A license since last tuesday. I got my C license a day before March on Michigan 300 race and managed to finished the race with no contact incident. (1 spin in pit my fault from coming in too hot causing an x2 ) but 150 laps clean.
clean racing really works. Thank you John

Back