Suspension - ride height adjustment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bailout
  • 8 comments
  • 1,070 views
Messages
162
Messages
jacker100
I've started tinkering with ride height adjustment (haven't go into springs or dampers yet), what I'd like to know is what is stoping me just slaming it to the ground?

I know in a real car the lower you drop your car the centre of gravity is lowered and you corner better etc but at the expense of ride comfort and speed bumps become a problem, the UK goverment are putting the damn things everywhere at the moment!!

In game you don't have to worry about comfort so why mess around just lowering it a bit and not all the way?

What are the disadvantages of doing this? Also when I drop the height what damper and spring adjustments do I need to make?
 
You'll bottom out on bumps and curbs if you go too low.

I'm no expert, so check the tuning section for guides, but I expect you'll want to stiffen your suspension.
 
Okay will do, so far I've just used the main forum.
 
I generally go in and reduce the ride 1/2 of what it currently is set at to start, then tweak it from there. If you want to find out what happens if you just drop it all the way take a Furai on De Sarthe straight and hold on.:nervous:

Also in certain tracks like Côte d'Azur that have raised bumpers in turning sections you'll bottom out or get hung up.
 
Your suspension needs to be able to travel in order to work effectively. As you lower it, you want to firm it up some so it reduces travel. At some point, it'll have to be so firm to limit movement that it won't be able to work effectively across bumpy surfaces, which cause it to skitter (losing contact with ground).

There's definitely a point that it starts to negatively impact handling.
 
GT5 needs a better, more detailed data logger so people can make better setups.
One of the things I really miss is ride height.
Other thing I'd like to see is tire wear on the inside/middle/outside per tire, so I can set camber much better.
 
Just try out different settings, you'll feel the difference pretty quickly. I usually drop the cars max, because most of them only reduce height by 20mm. So then I stiffen the springs a bit as well (most of the times the dampers by 1 or 2, depending on the cars weight. As mentioned above have a look into the tuning threats an try out a few.
 
Merquise
GT5 needs a better, more detailed data logger so people can make better setups.
One of the things I really miss is ride height.
Other thing I'd like to see is tire wear on the inside/middle/outside per tire, so I can set camber much better.

YES!
Two more to add to the list:
Full adjustments for karts
And CAMBER!
 
I've always slammed my cars in this game and I've had no problems.
 
Back