Suzuka 1000km

United States
Cincinnati, Ohi
DA6righthand
I like a challenge. Especially when I'm in an endurance race. There's strategy to it. The first time I tried this race I used the Xanavi GTR detuned to 450hp. It was raining and I drove circles around the AI drivers which was boring to me.

So I, for some dumb reason, got to lap 126 before I got aggravated with driving in the rain and quit. My next task was finding a different car to make the race competitive and fun. The Wedsport Lexus IS350 was my pick. After starting the race a few times and tuning the Lexus to a point where I was comfortable, I decided to start the race. To keep up with the rest of the field I installed the stage 3 turbo kit. Power limiter was set to keep the car at 440hp. For some reason a modded gt300 car is slower than a detuned gt500 car.

The start of the race was uneventful. By lap 3 I had reached 1st place only because the Arta NSX was held up by a GTR. Once the NSX passed the second place car the gap started to close. At lap 17 I was ahead by 7 seconds but had to pit because my tires were worn. I had kept a fast pace so I figured if I started being as smooth as possible with steering and the gas, I could stretch the tires to last 20 laps. Also, a half a tank of gas lasted roughly 20 laps so I kept right above a half tank with each pit stop. That way I could keep the car as light as possible.

After my first pit I was 40 seconds behind but went back to first when the ARTA NSX pitted on lap 24.

At about the midpoint of the race, I was roughly a minute aheaad of the NSX and stayed that way for a while til I ran into a sand trap. The gap closed to 40 seconds.

On my next pit I was passed and was in 3rd by the end of my pitstop. It took me about 10 lapps to catch up. Apparently the NSX had worn tires and he slowed his pace by a lot...and in turn he pitted two laps after I passed him.

So each time I pitted I would be passed and forced to catch up. I started adding things up and by the end of the race I would have to pit with 10 llaps to go. I decided to try to make my tires last more than 20 laps so I could pit with 15 to go.

The downfall was that at the end of each stint my tires were worn so badly that the NSX gained on me more than I thought he would. I knew my best bet was to use medium tires on my last pitstop so I could crank out some fast laps and asure that I'd be faster.

For the llast pitstop I took on minimal gas and came out only 12 secs behind. Needless to say, catching him was quite easy. Right after I passed him we came up on a lap car. I passed the lap car easily and he got stuck behind it. I finished 35 seconds ahead.

Overall the race was fun and I will always make the enduros a challenge. I wish there were more endurance races. Now if only I could find some people online to do an endurance race...

Back