• Poll closed .
England
Bromley
V16T91
E0nLeader
2003-Suzuki-GSX-R1000b.jpg
V
2006YZF-R1.jpg

Yet another rivalry match with Suzuki's stunningly refined hyper-sports missile, the GSX-R1000 scrapping against Yamaha's sharpened version of their YZF-R6, the YZF-R1. So, do you think the Suzuki should proceed to the next round? Or will the Yamaha have the luck?

This ones a difficult one for me, infact the most difficult one I will likely have during the all the polls because I've always said if I was to own a fast bike right now, it would be a one of these 2. Infact I'm so sat on the wall I'm going to not vote at this point in time.

Taking the question too seriously I might, but the pictured K3 Suzuki would rival older R1 than pictured, in which case it would be better. Then again, in 2004 Suzuki was still nearly the same bike against completely revised R1, which was more modern and faster.

As you guys all say its so close, I've drivin an R1, and have ridin with a few GSX-R1000's. The R1 looked and felt lighter, and more nimble... Which is what gives the R1 my vote. Just as a Bike is ment for going fast, a superbike of these proportions should turn on a dime, and feel like it too, R1 has obtained my vote.

My votes also swung to the Yamaha, it just looks and is that bit more hardcore without being stark raving mad and stiff like a Ninja ZX10R.

I'm a biased gsxr 600 owner so I would choose the Suzuki. I would have to admit though, I doubt I would be any slower or faster on the R1. These bikes can only really be pulled apart by high level riders who are pushing for the limits.

I rented a 2009 R6 for two weeks and the only thing I don't like is the head lights are ugly IMO, otherwise stunning bike and unbelievable sound for standard bike. I think it looks better than the R1 and I personally would not desire anything faster than a 600.

It's got to be the Gixxer in blue and white but that's from a very biased point of view ;)

Both bikes are pretty amazing but I'm a Suzuki man.

I vote R1! I owned a 99' R1 and now ride an '03 R1 with multiple mods. My next door neighbor has a 06' Gixxer 1000 and the differences are only found by the riders abilities. But the style is clear. Yamaha wins.

I vote R1! I owned a 99' R1 and now ride an '03 R1 with multiple mods. My next door neighbor has a 06' Gixxer 1000 and the differences are only found by the riders abilities. But the style is clear. Yamaha wins.

YES! an 03 R1 is the way to go! Do you have any pics?

Here is my scooter. 👍

picture010cq3.jpg

Here is my '99 project bike (which I later torn down and sold). It was a '99 R1 with an R7 TT CF lowers and uppers (I ordered from a factory in London who supplies the Isle of Man TT bikes) , and CF Tank; I got the RAM sswing-arm and a full Brembo setup with Super Corsas shod.

picture.php
[/IMG]

I kept the expensive bits and put together a more stock package on my '03

picture.php

I rode an '06 R1 a buddy of mine has, AND DAMN! Much better weight proportions and handling. Although my '99 with all the CF and titanium was still more nimble (damn I miss that bike).

I'll post some more pics of the '99 project in my photo gallery. I documented the entire build.

As far as my '03, I don't like the pipe (or the stock paint now) so I'm working on my new version this spring. I plan on going with a CF lower and repainting the uppers (and replacing the pipe). More pictures to come.

Very nice! I have not put a leg over anything newer then mine but I hear that the torque of the 03 is still worth the price of admission. I haven't done anything other then the standard mods and I doubt I will ever have the cash to do anything major.

Anyway, Welcome to the GTPlanet. It's not exactly two wheeled friendly but there are enough of us around. Can't wait to see more pics of your builds. I would also assume you are already a member of r1-forum.com?!

Nah. I'm new to the forum business. I have been on R1-forum but not a member. May look into it. Since the weather is getting nice again, I'll be riding alot more. I live in central Texas so I have nice access to the hill country twisties. Been out there a few times. It was alot of fun. I used to race (liberties taken with that word) 600 super-sport (WERA) on a Honda F3, but never had the cash to be any factor. I do like the few track days I've been to. Nevertheless, I posted some build pics in the gallery section. As soon as I start my '03 work I'll update you.

You're right about the torque. The '06 rev'd up great, but you never felt like it could sling you off.

Would have voted for the GSX-R 1000, not that it would have mattered on the outcome. My favorite bike, had an 83 1100 GS-E.

Back