- 2,823
- GTP_Brent
Mix cast from the Harry Potter movies with a strong dose of Edward Scissor Hands, and what do you get?
I saw Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street at a matine showing yesterday. It's really not the sort of movie I'd normally see - musical/horror with a dose of gore, but my gf picked it out and she was paying, so I figured what the hell. It was actually pretty good - Much much more humour than I had expected there to be.
Depp played his role very well imo (though, I'm not familiar with the play), but there were times that I felt Captain Jack coming through more strongly than Sweeney Todd. Helena Bonham Carter was great in her role as Mrs. Lovett. I hadn't heard her sing before, but she did so very well. Alan Rickman played his part, but I didn't think it was a particularly memorable performance (not like I've grown accustomed to from him anyways)... I think he was only cast for his Broadway experience. Oh, and Timothy Spall should not sing, simple as that.
The gore was entirely bearable - looks phony enough that I wasn't totally disgusted (I have no stomach for that sorta thing). It was more the anticipation of what was gonna happen that made me tense up; it transformed what might have normally been one of the more comedic scenes in the movie into one that made me squirm and wince.
To me, the ending didn't bring complete closure to the story for me... then again, it's a horror and not a comedy. I'll just leave it at that and not spoil it.
I'd give it a 4/5, which from someone who is not a fan of the genre, is very good.
I saw Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street at a matine showing yesterday. It's really not the sort of movie I'd normally see - musical/horror with a dose of gore, but my gf picked it out and she was paying, so I figured what the hell. It was actually pretty good - Much much more humour than I had expected there to be.
Depp played his role very well imo (though, I'm not familiar with the play), but there were times that I felt Captain Jack coming through more strongly than Sweeney Todd. Helena Bonham Carter was great in her role as Mrs. Lovett. I hadn't heard her sing before, but she did so very well. Alan Rickman played his part, but I didn't think it was a particularly memorable performance (not like I've grown accustomed to from him anyways)... I think he was only cast for his Broadway experience. Oh, and Timothy Spall should not sing, simple as that.
The gore was entirely bearable - looks phony enough that I wasn't totally disgusted (I have no stomach for that sorta thing). It was more the anticipation of what was gonna happen that made me tense up; it transformed what might have normally been one of the more comedic scenes in the movie into one that made me squirm and wince.
To me, the ending didn't bring complete closure to the story for me... then again, it's a horror and not a comedy. I'll just leave it at that and not spoil it.
I'd give it a 4/5, which from someone who is not a fan of the genre, is very good.