• 22 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Jordan,

Is there a possibility that swf files could be added to the allowed file types for attachments?

Would VBulletin treat the swf file as a image for being displayed? swf files would be a great format for avatars and such....using vector graphics...

Example..I made a 9kB image in swf format, then exported it as a animated gif...now it's 296KB and not near the quality...

Flash rocks man, how about some compatibility on the site? :D

Just a thought....

:cheers:

Actually, I was just thinking about adding .swf file attachments here, and I think I will. But, unfortunately, we won't be having any Flash avatars. It opens up a huge security hole, and I don't want to take that risk.

OK, .swf files have been added. I think it will just give a link to download the file, but I'm going to attach GTP's banner here to make sure...

Attachments

• flashbanner.swf
    4.5 KB · Views: 28
Originally posted by Jordan
Actually, I was just thinking about adding .swf file attachments here, and I think I will. But, unfortunately, we won't be having any Flash avatars. It opens up a huge security hole, and I don't want to take that risk.

WOW, really? As attachments? That's cool jordan...

What kind of security holes? As far as cgi scripts within a avatar? I would be curious of any articles if you've come accross any...

:cheers:

Uh-oh, I've got an "Error Locating Object Handler" message when I click on the file...is anyone else also finding this?

Originally posted by Pako
What kind of security holes? As far as cgi scripts within a avatar? I would be curious of any articles if you've come accross any...
Yes, it would allow all sorts of control over what happens on a page. Some of the biggest problems would be sounds or pop-up windows when the avatar loads.

Yes, it would allow all sorts of control over what happens on a page. Some of the biggest problems would be sounds or pop-up windows when the avatar loads.

WHOA! Yes, that could be highly disruptive to the site! Could you imagine what would happen if 14 avatars loaded all with scripts? It would be pure Chaos!

Good Call Jordan!

What about Quicktime format? The limitation could still be 35k...

Attachments

• dripping-orifice.swf
    7.3 KB · Views: 23
Nope, but all I get is the little object icon...
Hmmm...that's what I was afraid of. :( I'm stumped, but I'm no Flash expert either. I guess the best way to attach a flash file would be to zip it up into a .zip file, and then attach it.

Well, I'm guessing since the target file doesn't have the file extension.... That's probably where the problem lies...

Hmmm...that's what I was afraid of. :( I'm stumped, but I'm no Flash expert either. I guess the best way to attach a flash file would be to zip it up into a .zip file, and then attach it.

Well...even with the way it is now... you can still right-click on the attachment link and "Save As..." which works...

Well, I'm guessing since the target file doesn't have the file extension.... That's probably where the problem lies...

That's exactly what it is...

Try this Jordan:

*Click on the attachment...
*In the new window, under the url address ADD " .swf " to the end of the url address and hit enter...

The difference between this:
http://forums.gtplanet.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=137479

and this:
http://forums.gtplanet.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=137479.swf

Makes all the difference in the world... ;)

You're right, adding .swf does make all the difference in the world! :D But, that's not good - vBulletin doesn't know when to add that extension, so anyone who uploads a flash file will be confused. :( I guess I'll have to just take that extension off the list.

You're right, adding .swf does make all the difference in the world! :D But, that's not good - vBulletin doesn't know when to add that extension, so anyone who uploads a flash file will be confused. :( I guess I'll have to just take that extension off the list.

:( So close...

How about .mov files? :D That would be a good alternative...

BTW - Flash exports real nice to .mov formats...only adding 1KB for the Conversion...

Humm... will it work?

Attachments

• dripping_orifice.mov
    10 KB · Views: 17
It appears to be the same situation as the Flash Situation...

How about .mov as valid avatar formats? :D

Sigh... :(

How would that be any different than allowing .swf files?

Sigh... :(

How would that be any different than allowing .swf files?

Well, for one, Quicktime files are not interactive and cannot have command line interfaces coded into the .mov file right? The dimensions would still be restricted to the parameters set by you as well as the size restraints...

That would be so cool if it would work, without hindering the safety and consistancy of the site....
Fat Bastard quote

"I'm gettin' all emotional here..."

Without a filename extension IE tries to view the file as a jpeg (note the icon in the opened window). There isn't anything there to tell it what it is, so the default is an image.

I haven't found a "flash movie checker" yet, but I'm not giving up. I imagine there wouldn't be too many people that wanted to use them. I wonder if vBulletin would even support that.

I'm out ... talk to you guys later.

~LoudMusic

Back