Switching from Standard to Professional

rivermandrake
I'm finding it very painful.

I know you'll tell me to practice practice practice but I have been. However, not as much as I'd like, I work some long hours.

Despite the fact it's more realistic, I don't enjoy 'driving on eggshells', that's how switching to pro feels to me! I'm scared to put my foot down too early when existing a corner for fear of spinning out. This has resulted in lower lap times, grass/sky/wall and some swearing.

I'm using progressive acceleration too, I'm trying to be careful, almost creeping around the track. It's just not as fun and I'm annoyed because I want to race with pro settings like everyone else here and enjoy the game!

I suppose it's about learning the limits of the cars all over again, it's tough work at times. :ouch:

Are you using a wheel or a hand-held controller? I found professional mode very difficult with a controller.

Hey River

Ultimately the game is about your enjoyment, so if you enjoy it more on Standard there's a strong argument for staying that way. And I say that despite being a Professional snob ;-)

However....most people would say that the sense of achievement and enjoyment is greater, in the end, on Pro.

Practice, practice? Yes, but there's little point just putting in the hours without some thought to maximise the time spent.

If you're finding it difficult then the great thing about GT is that all of the real-world techniques described in many standard racing texts and courses apply directly to GT. Smoothness, apexes, lines, throttle controls....it's all directly relevant which is why we (well, I) love the game so much. So, I'd get hold of some racing manuals and read them. Then your GT time will be much more productive.

Humans typically learn best with lots of little sessions, not many longer sessions, so try and grab 15-20 minutes frequently rather than 1-2 hours infrequently. They also learn best when taking little steps forward from a solid base, don't try and emulate Aryton Senna on your outlap.

Basically if this game was simple, easy or quick to master nobody would be interested. It's a challenge, just like driving real cars. Everyone's been where you are.

All the best, and it's a great feeling when you get there.

Enjoy the game is the most important part, but if you can endure the change. You will end up being very skillful eventually. It's always very painful when you change though.

I don't have the time to play & bother with the tuning so i can make it around a track without spinning out. I have enough time to turn on the game run some laps and head back to the real world. Just race in standard, it's not the end of the world.

I don't have the time to play & bother with the tuning so i can make it around a track without spinning out. I have enough time to turn on the game run some laps and head back to the real world. Just race in standard, it's not the end of the world.

I don't know, I never tune when I can avoid it yet I always race in pro. Plus Lion's Den and others here make it easy. Take the time and go for pro, effort invested = enjoyment of achievement! But.. if after a little time in pro it's not doin' it for you, there's nothing wrong with playing a game on less than the most difficult setting!

Last edited:
I just tried professional over standard and didn't notice huge difference, maybe it's because I had ASM set to ON :| well anyways, I'm finding it most difficult with ASM off. I'm trying this RX7 challenge and I've looked at the highest GTP rankers and all do not have any aids enabled at all so I thought I'd do the same. I actually already had traction control down to 0 and didn't notice much of a difference with the car behavior but once I took ASM off, then troubles started. I just can't get a clean lap. Even if I try to be gentle with it, it goes off real quick and I spin out. So I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to get a good lap with ASM on or will I just have to get used to driving without ASM and then try hot lapping? I really don't know and it's frustrating the hell out of me!

outtanames - the advice already given in this thread is what you need to follow. I don't think there is anything more to add. Best of luck.

Back