T500RS or G27?

• Thread starter chryzsh
  • 28 comments
Norway
Bergen
I know this has been asked before, but I still can't decide. I'm a student in a small apartment with no real place to have a wheel, so I would have to mount it on my living room glass table, about 1 cm thick, the times I want to play. How are the two compared in taking the wheel down and up from the table? Will this be a complete hassle everytime I want to play? I am also wondering which works "best" for GT6, and which one is the better option for future compability (PS4)? The price difference is kind of high, where G27 is an ok price and T500RS costs about 50% more. Is it worth the money? I don't know a lot about wheels, but I love playing GT and last time I had a wheel was about ten years ago on the red momo wheels from Logitech. So what do you say? Are there any significant pros or cons on these two?

Last edited:
Its the T500 hands down. The problem is that I would not put any wheel on a glass table. I would feel to uncomfortable that the glass might crack or worse... shatter in a billion small pieces.

T500 and G27 are not comparable. The T500 is more powerful, more direct in FFB, has a really sensitive and accurate position sensor, has no center FFB deadzone, etc etc. it easily is 3 as good as the G27. So the price is worth it.

Depending if you want to shift manually, you will need to additionally buy the TH8 shifter. Plus you can consider the F1 rim and GTE rim add-ons for the T500 as well. Personally I would just buy a DSD adapter and a real aftermarket (momo, Sparco, OMP, no-name) of 350mm or smaller. While this is also possible with the G27 the motors are too weak to work against the leverage of a normal size 350mm rim. So only with the T500 you can go for such big rims.

When it comes to GT6 the T500 has a very different FFB system compared to all the other wheels in that game. There just is no comparison as the others have weight transfer based FFB, with the T500 you actually have front wheel grip based FFB (as you'd have in a real car).

Anyways, this is a non-question for me as I own a G25, T500 and a CSW. T500 for GT6 it is after having swapped them around during the past week orso.

Thanks for your long and informative reply. I will have to think about it some more. But it's duly noted that the T500 is "better". Still I have the big issue of space and need the ability to easily dismount the wheel from a table.

Thanks for your long and informative reply. I will have to think about it some more. But it's duly noted that the T500 is "better". Still I have the big issue of space and need the ability to easily dismount the wheel from a table.

The T500 has a single clamp. The G27 has two clamps. So the T500 takes less time to (un)mount. Got mine on a foldable table for the time being as I didn't want to remove the CSW from my rSeat rig.

As far as the pedals go. You can remove the iron bars around it so that it takes up less space. Of course this will remove your ability to use the pedals in hanging GT style, but that is only temporary as the bar can be re-attached again. The bar is simply hold into place with cir clips, so its an easy task.

The T500 doesn't take up a lot more space than the G27. At least not notable in my opinion.

Hi Chryzsh -Personally I haven't tried a G27, but I do have a T500 and I'm completely happy with it.

I don't think it is a good idea to fit a T500 to a glass table - it is much better to hard mount the T500 with two bolts - I suggest you get a Wheelstand pro. I've had two (for different wheels) and can therefore confirm that they are excellent. I realise it will increase your budget, but it will be totally worth it for the convenience of having your wheel and pedals hard mounted to a stable, easy fold and store stand. Plus it is easy to take with you if you want to play at a friend or relatives house. Also the wheel angle and height are easily adjustable to suit you and your friends size. I have found that it is important to be able to make very small adjustments in angle and height etc in order to get maximum comfort and avoid muscle aches from sim racing. If you have a wheelstand pro you will use the wheel a lot, but if you have to keep dismounting it you won't use it much - guaranteed (it will just be too invonvenient).

If you are playing GT6 I would save the budget by not bothering with the TH8RS - the clutch model is very unforgiving so you will miss a lot of shifts, plus you won't be fast enough with a clutch to use it for online racing. Also I would suggest don't bother with the F1 rim unless you play single seaters all the time.

Wow. Thanks for the reply! Haven't yet come to a conclusion as money is still scarce (at least if I'm going for T500) and if it can't be mounted easy on and off and not on a glass table I have some serious issues getting this to work in a practical manner.

Get a G27. You really won't be able to make use of a T500 without a dedicated rig or wheel stand anyway since it's clamp is so worthless, and it probably won't be worth twice the price to you. G27 is a good all around wheel, it comes with a shifter, and is a great value for the cost.

Vote for G27. Easy and cheap to mod many ways.

T500 owners, can you tell what kind of load cell brake mods your wheel have? Some hydraulic load cell perhaps? Simple load cell?

Line it's drawn on pedals, you stuck with your original pedals when going on T500, then even buying G27 and some good load cell mod and your price is still staying lower than T500 with ordinary pedals and some shifter.

I might consider T500 if there were some load cell mods like TSS or AP Electrix. Pricey it's but not bad, if counting only wheel, not pedals.

There is a load cell brake mod for T500, the Bodin BLC-T500... however it's super easy and cheap to just do the Basher Mod with some skate bushings. For me the clutch is actually the weak link on the T500 pedals, it's way too light.

Hi Chryzsh - If the wheel is just for GT6 on PS3 and money is very tight I would go for a Logitech DFGT with a wheelstand pro - if you got a G27 you wouldn't use the shifter much and on GT5 many of the fastest players used DFGT and I don't expect that will change with GT6.

Better to have a good wheel (DFGT) with a great stand than a better wheel with no stand!

Good advice. A sturdy and comfortable wheel mount/stand is essential. If you don't have a good place to mount the wheel you'll never really enjoy it.

Oh, and the DFGT would be easier to mount and dismount in any environment: G27 has the separate shifter and a lot of cables, T500RS is huge (both wheel body and pedals set are much larger than Logitech wheels), DFGT is easiest to mount and dismount if you have limited space and want something easy to tidy away.

There is a load cell brake mod for T500, the Bodin BLC-T500... however it's super easy and cheap to just do the Basher Mod with some skate bushings. For me the clutch is actually the weak link on the T500 pedals, it's way too light.
I know that mod, expensive, not comfortable, hardly adjustable, home made solution feeling overall.
Skate bushing for brake pedal is far away from loadcell mod.

Point was there is not choices for T500, there only one choice, you like it or not, on G27 there is multiple choices and many kits where you can even make your own mod.
Price range of G27 mods are from decent cheap to really top high end pricey stuff, T500 all stuff is starting over mid range prices.

I know that mod, expensive, not comfortable, hardly adjustable, home made solution feeling overall.

Point was there is not choices for T500, there only one choice, you like it or not, on G27 there is multiple choices and many kits where you can even make your own mod.
Price range of G27 mods are from decent cheap to really top high end pricey stuff, T500 all stuff is starting over mid range prices.

I really don't know how you can say bushings are far away from the loadcell mod. In the end, they're doing the same exact thing. The load cell is using fancy measurement to determine how much pressure you're applying. And based on pressure, is assigning a brake percentage.

The bushings, which you can customize pressure by different sizes, do the same thing. For 100 percent brake, you need X pounds of pressure. For 20 percent brake, you need Y pounds of pressure. For 50 percent brake, you need Z pounds of pressure.

I realize it's low tech and some people automatically prejudice themselves against it for that reason, but in the end, they're both doing the exact same thing.

I wasn't reviewing the BLC-T500, as I don't own one, just stating it exists. I do own a Basher Mod, and it's pretty great.

Also, it does make sense that G27 has more options out there... it's cheaper, it's been out there MUCH longer, and obviously more people own it. If you look above, I even suggested the OP buy G27, because I think for a casual user T500 is too expensive and overkill, and I liked my G27 for a long time.

Finally, honestly. how many G27 console users are REALLY going to upgrade their brake to a load cell? Some of those G27 mods cost more than the WHOLE wheel package! A nixim or GTEYE maybe. And if you're a PC player, you can still use clubsports with your T500. So there you go.

I really don't know how you can say bushings are far away from the loadcell mod. In the end, they're doing the same exact thing. The load cell is using fancy measurement to determine how much pressure you're applying. And based on pressure, is assigning a brake percentage.

The bushings, which you can customize pressure by different sizes, do the same thing. For 100 percent brake, you need X pounds of pressure. For 20 percent brake, you need Y pounds of pressure. For 50 percent brake, you need Z pounds of pressure.

I realize it's low tech and some people automatically prejudice themselves against it for that reason, but in the end, they're both doing the exact same thing.
Skate bushing is not changing brake amount as pressure, T500 pedals counts after bushings still only distance, bushings make you harder to get that needed amount of distance.
Load cell counts pressure, not distance, well produced brake mod is having some amount of movement on pedal, but movement is not counted on load cell, only transferred pressure from pedals joint/axle to sensor.

Skate bushing is not changing brake amount as pressure, T500 pedals counts after bushings still only distance, bushings make you harder to get that needed amount of distance.
Load cell counts pressure, not distance, well produced brake mod is having some amount of movement on pedal, but movement is not counted on load cell, only transferred pressure from pedals joint/axle to sensor.

But it's the same net effect. If I only apply a slight amount of muscle pressure, I'm not moving my pedal with two 65 bushings in it. If I want 100 percent brake, I've got to apply quite a bit of force. And obviously there are a ton of degrees in between. And if you wanted an even stiffer brake, you could go with higher rated bushings. In the end, the net result is the same. One's super low tech and one's elegant, but it's not fair to say they're far away from one another. Because they're really not once you forget about how they're accomplishing things.

I wasn't reviewing the BLC-T500, as I don't own one, just stating it exists. I do own a Basher Mod, and it's pretty great.

Also, it does make sense that G27 has more options out there... it's cheaper, it's been out there MUCH longer, and obviously more people own it. If you look above, I even suggested the OP buy G27, because I think for a casual user T500 is too expensive and overkill, and I liked my G27 for a long time.

Finally, honestly. how many G27 console users are REALLY going to upgrade their brake to a load cell? Some of those G27 mods cost more than the WHOLE wheel package! A nixim or GTEYE maybe. And if you're a PC player, you can still use clubsports with your T500. So there you go.
Comparison to PC is flying, "all" wheels can use separate pedal set on PC.
Ap electrix costs 65€(postal incl) G27 wheel 250€(postal incl).
You can also buy many higher priced products, do many different choices available.

But it's the same net effect. If I only apply a slight amount of muscle pressure, I'm not moving my pedal with two 65 bushings in it. If I want 100 percent brake, I've got to apply quite a bit of force. And obviously there are a ton of degrees in between. And if you wanted an even stiffer brake, you could go with higher rated bushings. In the end, the net result is the same. One's super low tech and one's elegant, but it's not fair to say they're far away from one another. Because they're really not once you forget about how they're accomplishing things.
I had spring mod for G27, called arc brake mod or something, Italian with two different stiffness springs, it was nice, totally better than original, progressive spring design etc. But comparing that to AP Electrix load cell mod is close to hand and wife.

After reading all the replies carefully, I have somewhat started feeling more drawn to buying a DFGT. Do I seem like a complete moron then? Just had the feeling that there is money to save and I have very limited possibilites for mounting.

Hi Chryzsh - if money is tight you are being sensible, also I am sure you will be happy with DFGT and a wheelstand pro for GT6 on PS3.

Just a word of warning - I don't know about prices in your country, but 6 weeks ago a DFGT new from Amazon UK was £76, when GT6 was released the price had risen to £197! The time to buy was a couple of months ago - you may need to wait a few months for prices to come down to a sensible level again.

DFGT is a nice wheel, but the pedals leave a little to be desired... still for a casual racer there is an easy brake pedal mod involving a squash ball that does wonders. At half the price of a G27 tho, you can't really go wrong, but it might require a quick "upgrade" if you get really into racing with a wheel.

You a student and can afford a T500 ???? WTF

G27 is a no contest IMHO simply because they are the best value for Dollar spent.

Shame you couldn't get the t500 when it was $150 at microcenter the other week. That's almost the same price as the DFGT. Madness.

After reading all the replies carefully, I have somewhat started feeling more drawn to buying a DFGT. Do I seem like a complete moron then? Just had the feeling that there is money to save and I have very limited possibilites for mounting.

DFGT is fine choice, no point shelling out a lot of cash in a wheel if you don't have a rig.

get something like a wheel stand and DFGT for the price of a G27. you can always upgrade your wheel later. the prices of wheel seem to hold their value for a while so you won't lose a lot of money

The T500 RS is a better wheel with MUCH better pedals (it's all about the PEDALS) but, the G27 is for you. It's almost half the size and much lighter.

The T500 RS is a better wheel with MUCH better pedals (it's all about the PEDALS) but, the G27 is for you. It's almost half the size and much lighter.

Im not so sure the t500 wins in the pedal department. While in stock form the T500 pedals may be better, when it comes to modding the pedals (its all about modding the pedals) I think the G27s win that fight. Theres really only a couple choices for the T500s, while the G27 has many, many options. That's only speaking for the brake pedal. Mounting options the G27 pedals cant be matched by any other pedals. Durability, I think they speak for themselves. I think all considered the G27 pedals are the better set of pedals.

I had the GT Eye and Bodnar USB cable on my G27 and they couldn't hold a candle to my T500 pedals with the Basher mod and the cheap Amazon (11.xx) replacement faces.

Obviously the G27 has some really expensive mods, but at a certain point, you're beginning to ask yourself whether it wouldn't just be smarter to buy a whole new pedal system.

Back