Take-Two-Gate: R* To The Rescue?

I don't see this posted in here and not sure if it was just missed or nobody thought to post it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...ular-grand-theft-auto-modding-tool&GroupKeys=

“Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players.”

I don't see this posted in here and not sure if it was just missed or nobody thought to post it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...ular-grand-theft-auto-modding-tool&GroupKeys=
Yeah...

But, it did negatively affected the Single Player base. The one thing they did right was shutting down those paid online mod menus for the PC, anything other than OpenIV is regardless of losing that player base that uses mods the correct way they should be. They'll lose sales for sure though, even some console gamers were going to get the PC edition, but this PR stunt is not gonna help them in any way. Regardless I think Rockstar's statement is full of crap because they have not said anything further than this, and it's like they are avoiding the situation totally.

"Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody."

I'm pretty sure that OpenIV made a statement saying their program stopped players from joining online if they had mods running because they respected Rockstar's wishes for unmodified multiplayer.

Regardless I think Rockstar's statement is full of crap because they have not said anything further than this, and it's like they are avoiding the situation totally.
I'm watching a polecat324 video right now which is how I learned about it and I agree with him that everyone needs to be patient and wait this out because it's likely that Rockstar really is trying to figure out how to make this work.

R*'s released another effective statement (in the form of a support article about single-player mods), claiming that they've been in discussions with T2 and that T2 has agreed not to take action against any mod tools for R* games that don't affect any online services. It's not much, considering the first official statement was that the tool was used to affect online play in the first place, but it's something.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009494848
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009494848
Rockstar Games believes in reasonable fan creativity, and, in particular, wants creators to showcase their passion for our games. After discussions with Take-Two, Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar’s PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties. This does not apply to (i) multiplayer or online services; (ii) tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services, or (iii) use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project. This is not a license, and it does not constitute endorsement, approval, or authorization of any third-party project. Take-Two reserves the right to object to any third-party project, or to revise, revoke and/or withdraw this statement at any time in their own discretion. This statement does not constitute a waiver of any rights that Take-Two may have with respect to third-party projects.

As well as this, R* is apparently now in contact with the OpenIV developers, presumably to arrange a compromise of sorts. Presumably it's not guaranteed that OpenIV will return for good if the team can't convince R* and T2 that the tool can't affect online play at all, but at the very least we should be getting a clear resolution to the issue sometime soon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-is-talking-with-openiv-developer-issues-new-statement-on-mods/
http://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-is-talking-with-openiv-developer-issues-new-statement-on-mods/
On the more hopeful side of things, Rockstar has told PC Gamer that it is now in contact with the developer of OpenIV. That's certainly a positive step forward, and will hopefully lead to a more constructive resolution than a complete shutdown of the modding suite. When we have more details on this, we'll update our story.

It's worth noting that the reference to "tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services" is more or less the reason Rockstar gave in its initial statement about the shutdown of OpenIV. I'm not sure what resolution can be reached under those guidelines, but if both sides are talking, at least there's some hope.

I've also heard that if you open OpenIV you'll be able to download an update that removes the legal message, but I can't verify this.

Not sure this helps or not, but it's interesting to see how this tool (Open IV) or any other offline program should not affect the online basis.

Plus a history lesson from one of the developers of the Online and Single Player: http://yan2295.com/the-future-of-gta.php

It may have some answers for us though, and why they take online modding so seriously (Which they should).

Though, I haven't opened Open IV as of yet currently, still waiting for the clear to actually use it, if so. Then I may buy GTA V for PC.

For now, it's a step in the right direction, yes. But consider this for a moment:

Take-Two reserves the right to object to any third-party project, or to revise, revoke and/or withdraw this statement at any time in their own discretion.

Basically, once the storm is over, they can go back and remove that entire post and we'll be back to square one. They're doing the classic thing of saying what we want to hear them say yet leaving a backdoor open for future 🤬 with people, which, I guess, was to be expected.

For now, it's a step in the right direction, yes. But consider this for a moment:

Basically, once the storm is over, they can go back and remove that entire post and we'll be back to square one. They're doing the classic thing of saying what we want to hear them say yet leaving a backdoor open for future 🤬 with people, which, I guess, was to be expected.
For the inflation of Shark Cards, I guess they want to focus on a Online Only game, which would be a bad model. Keep on fighting and let Rockstar and Take Two know what we mean by good mods.

Just for the record, OpenIV is available to download again off their website. The announcement of the C&D is still one of the first things you see when you open the site, but the download link now works again.

Just for the record, OpenIV is available to download again off their website. The announcement of the C&D is still one of the first things you see when you open the site, but the download link now works again.
It's good to see C&D was lifted based off what the team and Rockstar discussed, but it looks like the Liberty City in V mod has to be discontinued. (I was looking forward to that mod! :( )

Back