Taking GT5 to perfection.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rittig
  • 15 comments
  • 2,017 views
Messages
60
Messages
ClausR
Hi all.

I've read numerous threads in here about what GT5 is missing, why it is a crappy game, wishlists for future updates etc. Very interesting reading.

But what it all boils down to, is that GT5 is aiming to be the best racing simulation in existance - and succeding very well. The legacy from the preceeding GT titles makes it tough to reach perfection - we gamers simply expect too much of the Polyphony staff. GT5 must be all that GT4 was, and GT3 and GT2...

GT5 gave us an intense experience, an amazing online setup, and a ******** of other stuff. I'm quite simply impressed! Sure, I could make mile long lists of stuff I'd like to have in addition, but the fact is: GT5 offers way more than I will ever use! And any user would be able to say that. The GT5 universe is so big, you simply do not use all of it - which also is a testiment to show that GT5 is now so complete, there's something for everyone.

So, I'm in love with GT5. I'm a 47 year old family man who spends way too many ours in front of my PS3 every week. I also consider myself a bit of a connaiseur. I go for the ultimate simulation experience. I never tune my cars, I want to experience them "as-is" straight from the factory. I only drive cockpit view, and I only use original instruments - no map, info, driving lines, driving aids, no nothing! If it's not there in real life, I turn it off. (Yeah, that prohibits me from racing Standard cars, but hey: I just said I don't use all of GT5, didn't I?)

To me, the two main things are: The cars and the races. Premium cars are amazing! The modelling fully fulfills my expectations. The tracks are amazing. Sure I'd put more Premium cars and tracks on my wishlist, and sure i almost expect to spend $ on DLC with that stuff at some point, but that's all up to resource management in Polyphony, I feel I got my moneys worth in GT5.

And races. The "Seasonals" is a great idea! Adding races on a weekly basis adds to the value of the game, and I love it! One might say there's now 4 main types of races, as opposed to 2 in the previous titles: A-spec and Specials (as in GT4) and online and seasonals. That's doubling the value of the game!

I am a satisfied customer!

I only feel left behind in one single way. Let's return to my "ultimate simulation experience" for a while. I love the racing. Pure racing. I do not tune my cars, I only use the original (cockpit view) instruments, however weird they are, and however hard they are to read in bad lighting. I also choose my cars, so they match my opponents. I want to race them as I would in real life: On equal terms.

This is where i feel left behind. Almost all races are up to 5 or 10 laps in length. In evenly matched cars, you cannot race through a field of 12 in a measly 5 laps. For me to win a race in 5 laps, I have to be in the fastest car by far! For beginner races, and races in (yawn) dull cars 5 lap races is fine by me, but when I race DTM cars, or Japanese superGT cars, 5 laps is horrible! It's like a teaser! When we get to serious racing in serrious cars, race series of 10 races of 20-30 laps would be perfect. I want to lean back in my Ferrari P330, enjoy the smell of old leather and motor oil, and hammer down Moulsanne in a pack of 10 evenly matched cars, fighting for fame and glory. Not in a 1 lap race! 10 laps would be fine by me - or whatever you guys at Polyphony decides is better.

"Why doesn't he just do the endurance races?"
I do, I do. Well, I have chores to do. Kids to educate, house to maintain, job to attend. I can race maybe 4-5 hours a week, so 24 hour races is out of my reach (untill in-game saves are introduced). But there's a large gap between the hundreds of ultra short races, and the numerous hours of fun in the endurance races, and I feel I'm living my GT5 life in that gap.

What would make GT5 a complete racing simulation, would be to fill up that gap with a well measured portion of mid-range races, for all us motor heads to enjoy - and re-race, and re-race, and ... oh, you get the picture :-)

Best regards,
Claus Rittig, GT5's biggest fan.
 
Apparently 2 more years :dopey:
 
I agree quite alot with the OP. Sure, the game could be improved, but seriously, it already is a brilliant game. I myself have started to race occasionally with nothing but the cockpit view (I didnt use standards anyway so no great loss). It adds a new challenge for me being that I have gone through most of the game using the HUD.
I absolutly love the seasonals also. People whinge and complain about lack of events and yet, we get 5 new races everyweek, which add up and are there for whenever we wish to race them again. GT5 is indeed a very brilliant game with room for improvement, but then again, doesnt everything have room for improvement?
 
Sincerely, my only problem is standart cars (and tracks), because I love to look and take photos of my gorgeous machines. I love GT5, but I also to play lots of other games, so I don't get tired.
 
Amazing online setup

No I think your wrong about that, sorry.

I do like that they are stepping it up with the seasonals. But really that's just a way to get us addicted to gt by stimulating our rewards centers with Helmets, bodysuits and zenny. And to grind.
 
Amazing online setup

No I think your wrong about that, sorry.

I do like that they are stepping it up with the seasonals. But really that's just a way to get us addicted to gt by stimulating our rewards centers with Helmets, bodysuits and zenny. And to grind.

Well lots of people complained about the lack of A-Spec races, so they added seasonals which has already given us tons of new races and plenty of cash. People are just going to keep of finding new things to complain about and wont be satisfied, its a crap way to go through life like that. I think its a great game.
 
The only thing I'm really missing is online leaderboards.
 
Well lots of people complained about the lack of A-Spec races, so they added seasonals which has already given us tons of new races and plenty of cash. People are just going to keep of finding new things to complain about and wont be satisfied, its a crap way to go through life like that. I think its a great game.

+1

People have a habit of focusing on the negatives.
 
Could it use some improvements? It sure can, anything no matter what it Is should always be improved, and I agree with most everything the op stated. People complain because they expected something out of this world, and what we got is still an excellent game, people complain just to hear themselves talk(or read) and a lot of the time its little stuff they nit pick at. In conclusion, GT5 is a great game, just look at what the "critics" gave it, sure it has a few things that could be improved, but what piece of modern technology doesn't?
 
I'll be happy with GT5 once PD add all the things they promised.
 
I go for the ultimate simulation experience. I never tune my cars, I want to experience them "as-is" straight from the factory. I only drive cockpit view, and I only use original instruments - no map, info, driving lines, driving aids, no nothing! If it's not there in real life, I turn it off. (Yeah, that prohibits me from racing Standard cars, but hey: I just said I don't use all of GT5, didn't I?)
Totally agree with you 👍
 
MitchZ06
Apparently 2 more years :dopey:

Hmm, yes indeed, hopefully kaz will keep developing this game for two more years, to what he wanted it to be, and start work on gt6 after he is fully satisfied with GT5.
 
Well lots of people complained about the lack of A-Spec races, so they added seasonals which has already given us tons of new races and plenty of cash. People are just going to keep of finding new things to complain about and wont be satisfied, its a crap way to go through life like that. I think its a great game.

+1
Exactly what i thought!
 
The 5 laps stuff are you talking about the seasonal? If so I agree

I'm not complaining it just seems so out of reach..
 
Too well said. Extremely well said.

GT5 is big. It's, also, a car driving/racing game, not Burnout. That's probably why most people think it's too short. Learn to utilize better. You shouldn't say GT5 isn't good enough when you're not using it properly. You're abusing it. By abusing, I mean, stop nitpicking and just enjoy it. By not using it properly, I mean, GT5 isn't meant to rack up trophies for you. It shouldn't even have a completion percentage. How many people would be angry if there weren't trophies or a simple completion percentage?
 
Last edited:
Back