Tanner Foust Drifts Mulholland!!

• Thread starter mafia_boy
  • 24 comments

mafia_boy

(Banned)
GTP_Mafiaboy

Tanner Foust drifts his Rockstar Energy Drink Scion TC Drift Car on a legendary stretch of Mulholland Highway known as "The Snake". Watch Tanner unleash his 600hp NASCAR V8 powered Scion drift car on this famed road. There were no rehearsals and most of the film is of Tanner's first run on a clean stretch of road. And, yes, the road was closed.

Enjoy. :cool:

Way to inspire some idiot to try it without the cops...

Off-note, I think Formula-D's rules are a bit more liberal than D1GP...I think racing engines without a street version aren't allowed in D1.

I think going as fast as you can and just naturally drifting instead of a self induced drift is a more practical way of joing from point A to point B. Otherwise your just blowing smoke. Oh! yeah I forgot thats the whole point of Drifting "Blowing Smoke" :dopey:

Glad to see how my tax dollars are being wasted.
Principles and laurels, yeah, I forgot about that. Screw it, this was awesome. I'm just glad they were blocking the road for a reason this time.

Way to inspire some idiot to try it without the cops...
He didn't inspire anyone at all. It would be the idiots fault for getting inspired. I'm actually surprised nobody has tried it before, and right now I'm considering an early morning run whenever I manage to visit LA.

If I saw those tire tracks after the road was re-opened, I'd be like....OMGWTF?? :boggled: Nice video, but I'd rather take that road at maximum speed. If the CHP wants to close it for me, I wouldn't object.

Dear god that looked fun. I Want to drive on the Mulholland ever since Jay Leno drove on it in the SLS AMG. What was that 80's or maybe late 70's movie that was about street racing down the Mulholland?

This is a better way of doing it. No posing, drifting with purpose to go as fast as you can just pure driving.

Last edited:
Dear god that looked fun. I Want to drive on the Mulholland ever since Jay Leno drove on it in the SLS AMG. What was that 80's or maybe late 70's movie that was about street racing down the Mulholland?

Not sure which one you're talking about, but this video beats the crap out of the OP's "pro wrestling of motorsport". These were the true roots of car motorsports:

[youtubehd]VCfItWwi2V8[/youtubehd]

I can appreciate Tanner's driving, it's incredible if you see how the skid marks often follow around either side of the centre road line, but the video as a whole doesn't rev me up that much. That's all to do with the production value, and to be fair such a long route isn't the easiest to capture in an epic manner without a a huge budget and time.

The Peter Helm video is absolutely incredible. What I wouldn't do to be around in that era...

Not sure which one you're talking about, but this video beats the crap out of the OP's "pro wrestling of motorsport". These were the true roots of car motorsports:

*Youtube snip*

Looked good, but IMO, didn't beat the crap out of the video I put up. :dopey:

Nonetheless, it's a wonderful look at a time long ago and how people used to thrash a car around there back in the day. Nice video to watch, and the commentary almost sounds like it belongs in "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas". :)

it was "King of the mountain", which featured a pretty evil-looking Vette and a lame but sick-sounding Porsche 356 replica. Here is the video of the final scene in the movie, haha:

As a side note, when I saw this thread I donn't really remember how I got there, but I ended up at Pelican Forums on a thread that asked about the whereabouts of a certain 911 RSR widebody that used to be one of the fastests cars (if notTHe fastest) up there in mullholland in the 70s.

the link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-...3-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

The thread then goes on to include ex-street racers who make it a snowball of stories about how they used to race in Mullholland Drive every night in the mid-to-late 70s, how they set up their cars (from rollacaged Minis to fiat 124s with slicks to drifting big block Vettes and wide-fender z28s, complete with pics) and escaped police by turning off the lights completely and outrunning them...

then the owner of the Porsche that was the reason of the thread joins and also tells some amazing stories and pics... it is very worth a read... I know very very few people will go trough the 270+ pages the thread encompasses, but who knows.. I've been reading for two days and I'm in page 58 and I canot stop hahaha, so I tought I'd post it here, it's been an awesome read so far. Rest assured, it is NOT about Porsches going on the mullholland, it's about how it used to be in the 70s and the incredible variety of cars that ran fast up there. give it a read.

it was "King of the mountain", which featured a pretty evil-looking Vette and a lame but sick-sounding Porsche 356 replica. Here is the video of the final scene in the movie, haha:

As a side note, when I saw this thread I donn't really remember how I got there, but I ended up at Pelican Forums on a thread that asked about the whereabouts of a certain 911 RSR widebody that used to be one of the fastests cars (if notTHe fastest) up there in mullholland in the 70s.

the link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-...3-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

The thread then goes on to include ex-street racers who make it a snowball of stories about how they used to race in Mullholland Drive every night in the mid-to-late 70s, how they set up their cars (from rollacaged Minis to fiat 124s with slicks to drifting big block Vettes and wide-fender z28s, complete with pics) and escaped police by turning off the lights completely and outrunning them...

then the owner of the Porsche that was the reason of the thread joins and also tells some amazing stories and pics... it is very worth a read... I know very very few people will go trough the 270+ pages the thread encompasses, but who knows.. I've been reading for two days and I'm in page 58 and I canot stop hahaha, so I tought I'd post it here, it's been an awesome read so far. Rest assured, it is NOT about Porsches going on the mullholland, it's about how it used to be in the 70s and the incredible variety of cars that ran fast up there. give it a read.

Thank you and that is an amazing link. Gonna be a long night reading that whole thread. Quite amazing.

Thank you and that is an amazing link. Gonna be a long night reading that whole thread. Quite amazing.

I'm at page 74. It's awesome. and spaking of, if you read it long enough you now know about that chopped top, wide-fender, slick-tired RSR Porsche... LOOK WHAT I FOUND.

turn up the volume, it's way low in the video. BUT THE ACTUAL CAR APPEARS IN THIS VIDEO, RACING AROUND MULLHOLLAND IN 1982!!!!! long before it had to be put away because of too many close calls with the cops. It's EFFING awesome. click on it to go to Youtube and on the lateral link bar you'll see modern videos of it when the owner and his old friends take it out of it's slumber. Awesome car, awesome stories.

I'm at page 74. It's awesome. and spaking of, if you read it long enough you now know about that chopped top, wide-fender, slick-tired RSR Porsche... LOOK WHAT I FOUND.

turn up the volume, it's way low in the video. BUT THE ACTUAL CAR APPEARS IN THIS VIDEO, RACING AROUND MULLHOLLAND IN 1982!!!!! long before it had to be put away because of too many close calls with the cops. It's EFFING awesome. click on it to go to Youtube and on the lateral link bar you'll see modern videos of it when the owner and his old friends take it out of it's slumber. Awesome car, awesome stories.
Epic. I've been reading about the chopped RSR and how it was almost lost when the owners house collapsed. I'm still trying to find pics or vids of that evil Seville they keep talking about! It's in Randy Newman's I love LA music video for about a millisecond.

Epic. I've been reading about the chopped RSR and how it was almost lost when the owners house collapsed. I'm still trying to find pics or vids of that evil Seville they keep talking about! It's in Randy Newman's I love LA music video for about a millisecond.

hahahaha I couldn't find squat either, that car sounds freaking mean. I'd love me some fender-flared, twin-turboed, freaking.big.blocked Cadillac. ANY Cadillac.

Back