TB's Taco, aka Vader

• Thread starter TB
  • 105 comments

TB

Space Lord
United States
NoDak
Cy-Fi
After a fifteen year, 101,000 mile journey, we're preparing to give the Pilot to my son after he gets his license. So I needed a vehicle to replace Ol' Reliable.

My wife had two dealerships battle with each other, decreasing prices and interest rates trying to outdo each other. In the end, the local dealer lost and the one from two hours away drove it up to my driveway.

So I bought a brand new vehicle without ever even seeing it first.

Without further ado, some terrible phone pics of my new ride, a 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro.

AKA, Vader.

20200310_164333.jpg

20200310_204239.jpg

20200310_204308.jpg

20200310_205817.jpg

20200310_204919.jpg

I need some stuff bolted on it but, sadly, that will have to wait for a bit.

That. Title. Though.

I can't even threaten to ban you. We're on equal footing.
It's a good thing you fixed that formatting or I'd have to ban you first.

And you're welcome for the visual. :P

TB
It's a good thing you fixed that formatting or I'd have to ban you first.

And you're welcome for the visual. :P

I didn't realize I messed up until I saw it. :lol:

I need compensation for this great emotional distress that you've caused me. How about a video of you starting it up and giving it a rev?

Looks at thread title after the exhaust spits excess liquid onto the ground. Nope. I refuse. :lol:

Was that a cold start? Not a bad sounding V6, wish it had a little bit more of a grunt in the lower RPMs though.

Looks at thread title after the exhaust spits excess liquid onto the ground. Nope. I refuse. :lol:
A wet Taco is a lot better than a dry Taco, I promise you that.
Was that a cold start? Not a bad sounding V6, wish it had a little bit more of a grunt in the lower RPMs though.
Recorded this morning after sitting all night. It actually sounds better in the cab, possibly due to the mic on my phone or because it's under load when driving.

- - - - -

I had to hint down a couple of settings in the menu to change:

Default headlight shutoff time was, I think, 30 seconds. That was changed to zero.

Putting your hand on the door handle only unlocks the drivers door, which is asinine. It now unlocks all four doors.

I've spent entirely too long looking at things others have done on TacomaWorld, most of which I'd never need or do. But there are a few things that have piqued my interest.

Congrats! Awesome (and a little jealous) that you got the TRD Pro. You can now start going down the rabbit hole and build out an overlanding rig.

TB
I've spent entirely too long looking at things others have done on TacomaWorld, most of which I'd never need or do. But there are a few things that have piqued my interest.

Please for the sake of your sanity, stay away from TacomaWorld. Maybe it's changed, but the sheer mix of hate and idiocy that the website produces was astounding. I can also save you some headache, the answer to what size lift and tires is always 3" with Bilstein 5100s and 285's BFG KO2's or 255's if you're into tall skinnies.

Now that that's out of the way, you really went all out on your Taco and it looks great. Thankfully you skipped the snorkel package though because then it'd just look silly. I am a bit disappointed in the tire choice Toyota went with though, for an off-road rig those Goodyear Wranglers (I think they're Wranglers) are kind of meh. But I'm sure you'll appreciate them more on the highway since you'll actually be able to have a conversation. When I put the Duratracs on my truck, all you could hear was the tires at anything over 50mph.

I'm not sure if Toyota solved the rust problem on the Taco's frames or not (my guess is no), but one thing I always did was coat the whole thing in Fluid Film. Not only did it prevent rust, it also prevented mud from caking up on the frame as well.

the sheer mix of hate and idiocy that the website produces was astounding.
There are undertones of TRD OR people thing Pros are pointless, same with buying a Tavoma but not taking it HARDCORE offroading (armor and sliderz, yo!). A decade with you guys has given me a pretty good filter for nonsense. :P
the answer to what size lift and tires is always 3" with Bilstein 5100s and 285's BFG KO2's or 255's if you're into tall skinnies.
you skipped the snorkel package though because then it'd just look silly.
There will never be a lift, different sized tires or a snorkel. A tonneau cover and steps will do.
you really went all out on your Taco and it looks great.
Not me, my wife. She brokered everything!
coat the whole thing in Fluid Film.
I have seen that mentioned there. I will have to look into it. When this damn snow goes away.
Should have called it the Chimichanga.
Valid, but it would need to be more red than black for that.

The TRD Pro is the best Taco to buy if you don't want to modify your truck extensively.

Its got great suspension, all the bells and whistles and looks fantastic.

When your current tires wear out I do recommend replacing them with something more capable even if you stick to the stock size.

I have met loads of my local AZ Tacomaworld guys and most of them are wonderful but one or two are obnoxious braggarts and narcissists.

Enjoy the truck! I love mine! Also, be glad that I think your truck doesn't come with factory JBL. Upgrading the speakers is fairly straightforward and without JBL is incredibly easy to do. I put infinity kappas in mine and the difference is night and day better.

TB
The abysmal radio knobs had to go so I found a replacement on Thingiverse, printed one, had to sand it down a bit, edited the file and printed a second one. It is incredible how much better these are.

View attachment 907299

Whoever the radio dial employee is at Toyota, he's had his job far too long.

People making fun of you for 17mpg. I dream of 17 mpg.

OTOH, say buh-bye to the rapidly receding taillights of the S55... :sly:

People making fun of you for 17mpg. I dream of 17 mpg.

OTOH, say buh-bye to the rapidly receding taillights of the S55... :sly:
I'm closer to 18 now! :dopey:

And I really have no need for speed when there are speed limits anyway.

- - - - -

Got my steps installed tonight. I think I'm done with toys for a while now.

20200519_172947.jpg

Back