Team Oreca Viper vs BMW-VGT at the Nurb-24

MustangManiac

TeamJaguarUSA
Premium
United States
Chicago
mustang622006
Part 1
The debate continues elsewhere here on the planet as to whether the ai has changed since the latest update. Meanwhile I am having a blast with the new Beemer VGT. What follows is a story of a race with the new car at an S-class event, the Nurburgring 24:

I start in P16, the Viper in P14, a McLaren in P12 with a Citroen way up in P4. The race begins in the dry, but the rain begins falling before the first few corners were taken on lap 1.

Nürburgring 24h.jpg

I make my first pass, an Opel Astra, entering turn 11 while leaving the GP/f track.
Nürburgring 24h_1.jpg

I had passed the Lister on the short chute and the Viper opens a hole turning onto the Nordschleife, I follow him through passing both a Skyline and a Lambo.
Nürburgring 24h_2.jpg

This Lexus IS-F poses little problem while I continue to follow the Viper.
Nürburgring 24h_3.jpg

Things begin to get a bit dicey now as the Viper puts a Z4 and Benz between us. The Viper is pulling away and my fellow Beemer driver is not being co-operative at all (imagine that). I have to make the pass so I dive bomb the corner and lean on him on the exit, no love loss between partners I suppose.
Nürburgring 24h_4.jpg

With the track at 31% wet, still on slicks, this high speed curvy section of the track may not be the best place to make a pass, but you got to do what you got to do...I make my move and it sticks.
Nürburgring 24h_5.jpg

I knew I could out brake the Challenger going into the karussell, but I had not expected the CLK to slow as much as he did...I will take what I can get thank you very much. I enter the curve hot on the tail of the Viper.
Nürburgring 24h_6.jpg

The Viper opens a hole while passing the McLaren, I decide to try and follow through. At 38% wet, it is too slick I nearly lose it. I get her straight with two wheels on the wet grass while the McLaren and Viper pull away.
Nürburgring 24h_7.jpg

It wouldn't be until close to Schwalberschwanz that I would have another chance. I looks to the inside at the right hander before the hill and the McLaren shuts the door. I swing to the outside going up the hill and out brake him as the Viper noses inside the Mitsu entering the curve at the top of the hill.
Nürburgring 24h_8.jpg

This time I follow the Viper on the inside across the top of the hill and back down, passing both the FT and the Ford GT. We are in P3/P4 now, track is at 55% wet, it's getting dark and we are heading to that long back straight.
Nürburgring 24h_9.jpg

I was able to keep up with the Viper using the draft and even pulled along side, but the bridge and little left curve is fast approaching. I figure discretion is the better part of valor here and lift, giving the Viper the line into the curve and down the hill. Besides, I know we will be pitting at the end of the lap so no need in risking a big mistake here.
Nürburgring 24h_10.jpg

As the Citoen hits his stall the GTR, Viper and I enter pit lane nose to tail with the Ford GT and McLaren just behind us. It's full dark now, the track is at 67% wet and so ends part one/lap one.
Stay tuned...

Not as many pics this installment, photomode doesn't work as well in the dark. The Viper and I picked up spots in the pits, we went in P3-4 and exited P1-2. The plan wes to follow the Viper and just try and keep him in my sights through the dark lap 2. With the track at 77% wet and the massive amounts of torque from the V10 the Viper was having trouble in the twisties so I made my move.

Nürburgring 24h.jpg

The Viper was not happy about this.
Nürburgring 24h_1.jpg

Speaking of slick, I go around exiting the GP/F section and the GTR goes by. I re-enter the track along side the McLaren.
Nürburgring 24h_2.jpg

The McLaren slams the guard rail entering the Nordschleife, I wondered what happened to him.
Nürburgring 24h_3.jpg

I get by the GTR with out too much drama on my way to chasing down the Viper once again.
Nürburgring 24h_4.jpg

I finally catch and pass the Viper just before the karussell, I can hear that monster motor and squealing tires exiting every corner.
Nürburgring 24h_5.jpg

The race is on, I manage to keep him behind me until we get to the front stretch at lap 3...

The Viper that just wouldn't quit, the entire lap he was not more than a couple of lengths back and most often banging on my back bumper and looking to get by.

Nürburgring 24h_6.jpg

The big V10 gets by me on the front straight to start lap 3, the race is on now!
Nürburgring 24h_9.jpg

I pass the Viper early in the lap and he comes charging back...cutting corners here.
Nürburgring 24h_12.jpg

Setting up for a move to the outside on corner exit.
Nürburgring 24h_15.jpg

He was looking inside and out on the fast, twisty section.
Nürburgring 24h_18.jpg

About half way through the lap and he is still right on my tail.
Nürburgring 24h_21.jpg

I made my one lane change to the inside just before the bridge on the back straight and instead of trying the outside he just tucks in close...
Nürburgring 24h_24.jpg

...real close!
Nürburgring 24h_26.jpg

I take the checkers in the Beemer just 0.091 seconds ahead.
Nürburgring 24h_27.jpg

He pulls along side on the cool down lap, I glance over expecting a 👍 and he flips me the bird! Okay, I just made that last part up, but it's probably what I would have done :D

Back