TeamCZRRacing's '03 MR2 Spyder! (DIAL-UP WARNING)

United States
FL, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Milky Way
TeamACRZARacingo
GyroxOpex
Oh yes!

I've been hovering in the Readers' Rides section quite a lot recently, and in that time I've seen some pretty epic whips. It's taken a while, but finally, I proudly present, for your delectation, appreciation, and (hopefully not) lactation, my British Racing Green 2003 Toyota ZZW30 MR2 Spyder!

IMAG0500.jpg

This car is simply a delight to drive. You will smile every time you get into it, guaranteed. The steering has an incredibly quick rack with absolutely no deadzone, the engine is peppy, responsive and fuel-efficient, the sequential transmission keeps the focus on the road, and the suspension is fantastic for everything. It's the rare car that is both an amazing daily driver and stupid, pure fun on a twisty road. Oh -and it's a MAJOR head-turner. I can't go anywhere without someone looking at it like it's a Porsche.

So, enough talk. Shall we take a tour?

As you can see from the side, the ZZW30's wheelbase is fairly long, but not to a point where it hampers the car's handling in tight turns one bit. This makes it perfect for twisty mountain passes, as combined with the extremely good suspension, it makes the car very tossable. (Let's just ignore my neighbor's Sienna in the background there. :P)

IMAG0501.jpg

And here's a shot from the back. I'm not sure what looks better: the back, the front, or the sides!

IMAG0503.jpg

MR2 SPYDER! *heavy metal music*

IMAG0504.jpg

OK, so that's enough of the outside. Let's take a step inside!

So the interior is pretty comfortable for such a light car. The seats are firm but supportive, the A/C is fantastic, the center console is laid out in a way that just makes sense, and the stereo... the stereo in this car is mind-blowing. Seriously one of the best I've ever heard. Wait until the sun goes down, put some Crystal Method in, hit the highway, and just sit back and let the music from the extremely good stereo take you. Seriously, it sounds like the band is right frickin' there, in the passenger seat, next to you. The only thing I don't really like too much is that the electrical port is under the fold-out cupholders and therefore a little hard to get to if you're carrying a drink. One of my favorite features is the shifter buttons on the wheel spokes. The two buttons on the face both downshift the car when pressed, and there are two others on the back of the wheel that upshift. Super handy if you can't spare a hand for the shifter.

IMAG0506.jpg

I'm a particularly big fan of the instrument cluster. You know you're in a sports car when they put the tach and gear indicator right front-and-center! (Oh, and it glows orange at night too. As if everything else about this car wasn't baller enough already.)

IMAG0507.jpg

Conveniently, the hood and fuel cap releases are located right next to the driver's seat, and they're both protected by a lock that only works with the key. (Yeah, my carpets need a nice vacuuming, but don't worry, I take good care of my car!)

IMAG0508.jpg

The sequential shifter is simply a joy to use. Push it forward to shift down, pull it back to shift up, push it left to go into reverse, push it right to go into gear - easy-peasy!

IMAG0509.jpg

The trunk release is located in the glove box. Because logic. And Toyota.

IMAG0510.jpg

So, here's what's in the trunk! Yeah... not much cargo room up here - just enough space for the full-size(!) spare tire and some car care equipment. If you're wondering, the spare tire compartment is being held open by a latch on a string that you attach to the trunk's frame. Also, yes, one of the latches is broken, but I don't know how to fix it, and besides, it's really only a very, very minor issue.

IMAG0513.jpg

By the way, I love the MR logo on the spare tire cover. MIDSHIP RUNABOUT!

IMAG0512.jpg

Now it's time to explore the engine compartment, but first...

IMAG0515.jpg

...we've gotta jam the keyfob up under the release because the spring that pops the hood up is stuck and I don't know how to get it loose.

Ah, there she is! The beautiful 1ZZ-FED 4-cylinder in all her transversely-mounted glory! I really love the engine compartment in this car. There's nothing fancy - it's all lightweight materials and some seriously clever layout work meant to keep as much weight as possible close to the center of the car. That's why the engine is so far forward. The only issue is that it makes the car dang hard to work on. But hey, this car is SERIOUSLY reliable, so that shouldn't matter too much!

IMAG0516.jpg

So there it is - my '03 ZZW30! Truly my pride and joy. It's such an irresistibly fun car to just hop in and go for a long drive. And they're pretty rare, too - only 27,941 of this particular generation of MR2 were sold in the US before their discontinuation - so if you're looking for a car and there's one of these in your area, get it because it'll be gone fast.

I hope you enjoyed! Questions? Comments? Leave 'em below!

Last edited:
I have too admit, I am upset with this not being a manual 5/6 Speed.

EDIT: Sorry for a negative comment popping right out.

I really do like the car in general. No dead zone in the steering? Personally, I cannot stand that. Only know that because of my mom's Camry... You see, my truck has a pretty minor dead zone and the first time I drove her Camry it was like TURN! So it scared me more than anything.

Question. Is the dead zone a legitimate dead zone (or lack thereof), or does the car's quick and snappy handling make it feel that way?

Last edited:
I have too admit, I am upset with this not being a manual 5/6 Speed.
It's a sequential 6. Quite honestly, if you're going to daily this car like I do, that's the transmission you want. There's no clutch pedal, so shifting is a breeze, and when you're in the mood to thrash it, the simplicity of the sequential trans makes it easier ti focus on the road.

It's a sequential 6. Quite honestly, if you're going to daily this car like I do, that's the transmission you want. There's no clutch pedal, so shifting is a breeze, and when you're in the mood to thrash it, the simplicity of the sequential trans makes it easier ti focus on the road.
I quite liked my Mom's 5 speed sequential Audi, although I still prefer fully manual.

And check my first post for a delayed edit. Sorry about that. :)

Question. Is the dead zone a legitimate dead zone (or lack thereof), or does the car's quick and snappy handling make it feel that way?
No, there's actually no dead zone. :) I like it that way in a sports car because it makes it more immediate.

Congratulations on your new car!! :gtpflag:👍
Now if I only could get something like that or mx5...

One thing thought...that steering wheel and the dashboard...it reminds me of my (;)) brother's 2002 Rav4...

20151216_204137.jpg

20151216_204159.jpg

Mind my asking what the mileage is?

Looks like it's very well kept, hope you enjoy it. Considering you have cupholders and I don't, I'm kinda jealous...

Mind my asking what the mileage is?

Looks like it's very well kept, hope you enjoy it. Considering you have cupholders and I don't, I'm kinda jealous...
I think it was ~138k when I bought it, and it hasn't changed much since. :)

And thanks! :D

Nice car. Love the colour. Thanks for the tour around the car, I've never had a chance to get a good look at one of these.

It's funny how you say people think it's a Porsche where the SW20 is always thought to be a Ferrari.

Must be difficult carrying any luggage with the lack of a boot and a tiny front.

Nice car. Love the colour. Thanks for the tour around the car, I've never had a chance to get a good look at one of these.

It's funny how you say people think it's a Porsche where the SW20 is always thought to be a Ferrari.

Must be difficult carrying any luggage with the lack of a boot and a tiny front.
I know, right? Funny thing is, there are a lot of Porsches around here, so you'd think people would know the difference. :)

It's not that difficult. If I get anything big, I just put it in the passenger seat. And you're welcome. :cheers:

Update: as of a couple days ago, the MR2 Spyder is at the mechanic's for a new clutch; it started slipping a few months ago, which I understand is something these sequential transmissions are prone to do on this car. I'll post an update when I get it back!

So, got it back today. Clutch was fixed, but the steering is now off-center, so I'm gonna have to take it back again soon.

That sounds like the wheel alignment is out. When they dropped out the subframe to remove the engine when it was put back in it may not have been in the exact same location putting the rear alignment out making the steering have to compensate for this. On the SW20 I don't see a way of perfectly aligning the subframe once it's been removed so I expect the same on the ZZW30.

Back