• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 4 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The sport of basketball is a wonderful game; but as good as basketball can be, it, like anything else, can be confusing to grasp completely. There are so many different layers to basketball that makes it such a great sport. Not many of us think about the real technical aspects of the game. Not many others really care- they just want to mostly see shots and dunks rather than think about what really makes plays work. If you prefer the latter from the previous sentence, this is your thread. I have set up this thread so we can discuss the state of basketball as well as what makes basketball great from various technical standpoints.

You see almost everything in the game of basketball. You see everything from proper shooting of the basketball to solid defensive plays. There are solid offensive packages drawn up by teams as well as solid defensive sets. You have things like the pick-and-roll, 2-3 Zone, man-to-man defense, 1-4 high, the three-man weave... all among many offensive and defensive plays and sets. And of course, you have various fouls. You know, "is this a block or a charge?" Did the officials make the right call? How do you foul smart when a trailing team needs to stop the clock? Executing certain plays and how and why certain plays work is part of the essence of what makes basketball so great to watch.

On top of this, we also tend to think about basketball in its current state. Is the shot clock too short, too long, or just right? Are people more wimpy about fouls and hard fouls than in times past? Should there even be violations of 3 Seconds in the Key? Should a player foul out on five fouls or six fouls like in the NBA? Should you even have players be fouled out of the game? What can be done to improve the quality of play? Are today's players even fit enough to take on the full grind of the game of basketball? Some referees call phantom fouls more like some debris cautions in NASCAR. Are referees too hesitant to call Technical Fouls and Flagrant Fouls (or Unsportsmanlike Fouls)? Are they too scared to take certain players out of the game that a Double Technical Foul is called as opposed to simply ejecting certain players?

All these are among many different issues regarding today's landscape of basketball. So to try to offer a little diversity to the variety of sports topics here on GTPlanet, I'm willing to offer this thread here on GTPlanet. It is a technical discussion of basketball and how we could probably improve the game of basketball or what makes basketball such a great sport... or is it one? Anything regarding the technical aspects of basketball and how it's officiated is fair game in this thread. This post concerns EVERY level of basketball- ranging from casually playing basketball all the way up to the professional and international styles of basketball.

Depending on how this thread is taken, I may include technical discussions of other sports. I might actually learn a few things from you all if I see some interesting points being mentioned here.

I forgot to include another aspect of discussing the technical aspects of basketball- putting players in certain other positions. Like for example, having a forward play guard. Could a player benefit his/her team better playing a different position from one's usual position?

I'm just making suggestions here...

As I sit here listening to a pretty bad Lady Gaga song, I think that the NBA's stance on the no trade clause(even though Kobe is the only one who has one) should be a standard adopted through baseball. I see to many good trades blocked because of some player wanting to go to Boston or the Yankees. By removing the no trade clause, maybe some of the other mediocre teams might actually get better.

Sorry for the baseball rant, but I figure I owe the NBA a compliment.

Ok since this is about the technical aspect of basketball, how about for the All-Star Dunk contest we have actual "All-Stars" instead of these amatuers. Their is plenty of potential at a great dunk contest but it has been lacking in recent years.

Or the all star weekend in general all things considered. To these players, there is nothing to play for.

Back