technical question: 2 x PS3's running single screen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter citycar
  • 11 comments
  • 1,022 views
Messages
100
Australia
The InTerNetS!
Messages
city-car
Hi People,
I have two PS3's with two copies of GT6 (one is my brothers console and game the other is mine) and i'm wondering if we can run GT6 single player on one screen to get a smoother frame rate?
 
It's not possible so far as I'm aware. But what a great idea you've had! If only PD could find a way of doing that...

Maybe they could somehow use a LAN connection to utilize the other PS3's processing power.



👍
 
The latency of that would be awful


No it wouldn't, there's no latency when using a three screen set up, so why would there be any with a two screen set up? Obviously I'm talking about 2 PS3's connected directly to one another, not via the internet.
 
Last edited:
I was on about the latency of 2 CPU and GPU working together over a LAN wire for increased performance on a single screen.
 
I was on about the latency of 2 CPU and GPU working together over a LAN wire for increased performance on a single screen.


Me too. What the latency of a LAN? I presume it would be very low.
 
VBR
Me too. What the latency of a LAN? I presume it would be very low.
The time delay of an electrical signal traveling down an Ethernet cable alone would be far too great to do anything useful. In modern computers, even the distance of a few centimeters between the CPU and memory is enough to cause noticeable delay compared to the gigahertz frequencies that the CPU runs at. The gigabit data rate of ethernet is also not even close to enough to keep up with the teraflops of calculations that one processor can perform.
 
Last edited:
This would have been probably been possible if PS3's had a I/O port the original Playstations had.. 1920x1080p @ 60fps would be mint.. but I guess that's reserved for PS4.
 
I remember reading somewhere that PD had GT5 running at 4k resolution using 4 PS3's to showcase some of Sony's new 4k tv's.

This was a while back, and while I'm sure it could be done, I doubt they'd ever give us the option.
 
I remember reading somewhere that PD had GT5 running at 4k resolution using 4 PS3's to showcase some of Sony's new 4k tv's.

This was a while back, and while I'm sure it could be done, I doubt they'd ever give us the option.

No that was different, it wasn't 'quadruple linked PS3's' going directly to a 4K TV via one HDMI cable, it wasn't even a true 4K resolution on a 4K TV, it was 4 seperate PS3's hooked up to 4 1080p projectors that were lined up perfectly to produce one seamless 16:9 picture.. as far as I know 4x1080p isn't even on par with true native 4K, but it must be close. :p
 
This would have been probably been possible if PS3's had a I/O port the original Playstations had.. 1920x1080p @ 60fps would be mint.. but I guess that's reserved for PS4.

No.
PS3x2= GT6 in 4K.
Take that Project Cars!

Not really.
 
Maybe the could have some special HDMI dongle that goes 2 to 1. Or just have some special software that makes the TV combine two HDMI inputs on one screen.
 
Back