Tell us about your "underdog" cars.

United States
San Antonio Tx.
Qship
OK, so I’ve got all of the gold trophies and I started playing with the odd cars that I normally wouldn’t buy to see what I can do with them. I ended up with a few jewels that I wish I had when I was doing the Career Mode races. It takes some creative tuning and Nitrous but remember; IT’S A GAME.

’68 Karmann Ghia. Primer gray with matte gray wheels and white-wall tires! Love the looks. (OK, I’m 65 years old) 443PP Hard to tune and drive but beats the 550PP boys.

’09 Abarth 500. I didn’t put a big wing on it. That just looked so wrong. 495PP Have fun with the 500-600PP “race cars”. If you brake hard on a crest, it WILL front flip.

’07 Light Car Company Rocket. 656PP and the down-force of a pencil. BUT, it’s fun to beat the 720PP big boys or race cars. Winning at Nurburgring is very rewarding against “race cars” because that track is so rough and you’ll spend a lot of time airborne.

’01 Suzuki GSX-R/4 This was always a good underdog in GT5. 570PP and plays well with the 650PP Gray Hounds.

I have also found that in the Super Career Mode races in the rain where tire wear and fuel usage is on, a small car wins. The 24 Minutes at Spa (a 750PP race in the rain) can be won with a Bug-Eye Subaru Impreza Super Touring car (627PP) with Racing Soft tires. No pits for fuel or tires. Run the Suzuki GSX-R/4 in the Willow Springs 20-Mile Challenge. No pits needed. You’ll get way behind and then WIN!

These are just a few. It’s a challenge to see what you can do with an underdog car. Let us know what you’ve discovered.

Few days ago I saw that a guy done a lap around nurb in less than 10 minutes with a 52hp car. So, I've decided to lookout for a small, low hp car to do the same. The first one i've tryed was:

HondaLifeStepvan.JPG

This little Honda Life Step Van. ****ing cute and so damn good around corners with racing tires and a proper worked susp.

Not fully tuned, was tuned a bit to get 52hp, and with some weight reduction.

Done 9:55:xx around nurb (the same time as the guy on that AX diesel) . Epic.

^ I bought the Life Step the other day and tuned it up to 450PP it's alright actually. I love buying these sort of cars, I take them online don't care how competitive they are I race them anyway.

Ive been revisiting cars that absolutly sucked eggs in GT5, and checking what can be done with them. The few I did, ill post soon.
but im stuck on one. I went and bought the Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04.
so far, I have a very odd 450pp tune for it, lol.
everything I do 500 and up throws the car way off kilter.
im still working with it, but it does have potential.

Its not really expencive if anyone wanted to give it a shot. Been pretty challenging so far.

My trusty 534PP Range Rover Evoque won the Willow Springs 20-Mile Challenge and the 10-Lap Ascari Challenge, a feat which hugely impressed me. A four-wheel-drive four-pot supercar killer is what it is. And it's just great to drive.

I started with the mighty Mini Marcos. I've done so many career races with it, it's not funny :lol: I can't remember them all, but variously: all of the early races, Euro hot hatch, British, compacts, classics, FF, NA, Turbo... even the Group Bs on the Gornergrat (though they are as slow as the frame rate).

The car has been mostly been at the 450pp mark (I think this is stage 1 engine tune and high rpm turbo plus other parts) with my own setup, but reduced pp when regulations are less. You can beat the 550pp races at around 470pp - You need to stoke up the HP to beat them on the faster tracks like Spa.

One tip, if anyone wants to try one out, is not to do any weight reduction: add some ballast towards the front to aid grip and allow you to use more HP. Can't remember without checking but mine is around 160-170bhp at 450pp.

so far I've done 8:23 at 450pp/SH on the Nord (I'm not a 'RingMeister!) and it's good for well over 140 mph on the Dottingher straight.

It will never be competitive against good pp cars driven by humans, but you can amuse yourself trouncing the AI in much more potent cars, and be amazed at just how small it is even against other 'small' cars :dopey:. I just can't get enough of it.

@mtsmtts it is a good drive stock too 👍

Ive been revisiting cars that absolutly sucked eggs in GT5, and checking what can be done with them. The few I did, ill post soon.
but im stuck on one. I went and bought the Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04.
so far, I have a very odd 450pp tune for it, lol.
everything I do 500 and up throws the car way off kilter.
im still working with it, but it does have potential.

Its not really expencive if anyone wanted to give it a shot. Been pretty challenging so far.
That's disappointing. I had a tune for the OPTION in GT5 that could keep it up with 600pp cars all day. And now you're saying, from your experience, it can't handle anything above 500pp? I am not pleased at all. I'm going to buy it and see what PD did to my supercar killer. :irked:

Oh no, thats not what im saying, lol.
its not a horrid car at all, its just a challenge and a half.
im not saying its bad, im saying I cant get the same performance at high pp as I can low. Like its saying its too powerful, and wants to be tamed a LOT.

If I could get it to perform at 600pp like it does at 450pp, it would easily be an online creeper car.

XS
I see. Next time I get on I'll have to see if my GT5 tune can be adapted.
XS, do let me know how it works ^^
I would love to see what you did with it. I've spent around 4 game hours on her so far, and I've made some HUGE improvements but it still haven't reached a level where I would post it as a tune to share. Not at that quality yet.

Maybe between your tune and mine, we could get something kicking out of it, lol.
But aside from some built in understeer, it's not too much different then it was in gt5. But even that one took awhile to tune, well, for me at least, lol. But I was new to tuning then.

Let me know man, I'll be here grinding cash tonight ^^

I love playing around with my tuned old Fiat 500's and a couple of stock surprise cars for me were the Fiat Giovane Duo and the MG TF160.I've used them to beat the London City Trials race

@demonchilde I probably won't be on for a couple days. If I recall correctly I had negative rear toe which helped the car rotate mid-corner where it struggled the most, high damper extension, medium damper compression, and some camber. I don't recall what the ride height was.

Actually, you know what, I'm super curious so I'll try and post a tune for it tonight. If I'm not happy with it I'll PM you the tune instead of posting it on the boards. But heck yeah, lets see what we can do. Cheers!

Back