Tempting in buying a Forester SG

Spain
Spain
Marty_Debiru
So like the title says, I'm thinking on buying a Subaru Forester SG, EJ20 turbo (called XT I think?). Of course manual.

Basically need a towing vehicle to move around my drift car since it's getting out of hand to drive it on the roads and want something nice and cool to do so. Forester SG has always been on my eyes, specially with the STi kit, some wheels, exhaust and lowered.

I'm wondering if someone here coudl give me some advice on what to look since this would be my first ever Subaru. Any suggestions, and if it's a good choice for towing a car. Won't be hitting off roads any time soon.

Thanks!

So I can't really give you any indication about the car, but what's the weight of your drift car, and does the trailer you use have brakes? It looks like the tow rating for that generation Forrest XT is 740kg on a standard trailer or 1800kg on a trailer with brakes. Personally, I wouldn't tow nearly 4,000lbs (1,800kgs) with a car, even 1,700lbs (740kgs) is pretty hefty and even a light flatbed trailer can weigh more than that. My dad has a twin-axel aluminum flatbed trailer that could fit something the size of a Ford Focus and it weighs 1,650lbs (750kg).

You'd also need to consider the gross vehicle weight too. I'm sure you're going to be taking things like tools, tires, etc. when you go to drift events, plus you and maybe one or two other people. All that adds up really, really quick and it looks like the cargo capacity is around 500kg. Having a full loaded vehicle, plus a trailer, plus a car on that trailer, seems like it would be way over the weight limit for a Forester. I'm sure it could manage with the weight, but you'll chew through the brakes, drivetrain, and tires pretty quickly.

For example, I have a 2020 Toyota 4Runner and just towed 4,500lbs for 1,800 miles. Even though it was under the weight limit, it still toasted my brakes and rear shocks.

So I can't really give you any indication about the car, but what's the weight of your drift car, and does the trailer you use have brakes? It looks like the tow rating for that generation Forrest XT is 740kg on a standard trailer or 1800kg on a trailer with brakes. Personally, I wouldn't tow nearly 4,000lbs (1,800kgs) with a car, even 1,700lbs (740kgs) is pretty hefty and even a light flatbed trailer can weigh more than that. My dad has a twin-axel aluminum flatbed trailer that could fit something the size of a Ford Focus and it weighs 1,650lbs (750kg).

You'd also need to consider the gross vehicle weight too. I'm sure you're going to be taking things like tools, tires, etc. when you go to drift events, plus you and maybe one or two other people. All that adds up really, really quick and it looks like the cargo capacity is around 500kg. Having a full loaded vehicle, plus a trailer, plus a car on that trailer, seems like it would be way over the weight limit for a Forester. I'm sure it could manage with the weight, but you'll chew through the brakes, drivetrain, and tires pretty quickly.

For example, I have a 2020 Toyota 4Runner and just towed 4,500lbs for 1,800 miles. Even though it was under the weight limit, it still toasted my brakes and rear shocks.
True.
Towing would be on the limit, as far as I have been able to confirm a Forester turbo can haul up to 1,800 kg with a trailer with brakes and the lighting system. Legally speaking. About the stress on the vehicle? That's another story. I would be towing like 2 or 3 times a year anyway and all on paved roads.

Trust me, if I could I would drive around in something like this
1663326030682.png

But local Spanish rules are strict and having something like that would be expensive, a logistical nightmare and kind of useless. I would buy an actual flat bed tow truck instead.

Also need it to work as a daily to go to work, have space to transport whatever I need, and so on. That's why I have been thinking on the Forester. Is not a full size truck or SUV, more like a compact one. Gas millage is more or less the same as an Impreza, wich is not bad (my previus daily was an IS300 so imagine). I still need to contact a legal authority so I can get a real final towing capacity of it before I make any move.

I'm also open to suggestions of any other similar vehicle. Kind of small, OK on millage, good looking, insteresting and able to hauld a trailer with a car. I know there's not many options out there... My friend uses a Volvo XC70 from the 2000's to tow his car and has never had any issue, just normal wear.

I had a non-turbo SF generation Forester for years. Loved it, but even as a low powered N/A it was terrible for fuel mileage. Permanent all wheel drive will do that.

As much as i liked mine, it was very reliable and more car-like on the road then other SUVs in that segment as well as a decent snow and mud plugger when needed (and manuals have a low-range for hill decent), i'm not sure it would make for a good tow-car for the reasons Joey points out above. But if its only for occasional tow work and it's legally able to tow the weight you want, then why not?

Being in Europe, is there some small Diesel SUV options? Maybe a VW Touareg? Not the most reliable car ever made, but they have a great platform (same rear-drive platform as the Porsche Cayenne), are not that big and are rated to tow 3,500kg. I don't think towing a vehicle trailer with anything small than that is a good idea.

towing vehicle to move around my drift car
It will, but the max tow rating for an American 2005 XT was 2400 pounds which is about the weight of a Nissan 240SX. Even using a dolly and leaving your rear wheels on the ground you will be exceeding the tow rating. If you're using a full car trailer, which can weight 1,000 pounds by itself, the Subaru doesn't have provisions for trailer brakes. There is a lot more to towing than you might think, especially transmission and differential cooling, and often adding a little radiator isn't actually enough because you need mass to absorb and disperse heat rather than a bit of airflow. The scrawny little transmission and differential cases on a Subaru would get heat soaked instantly while towing uphill in a Spanish summer.

Edit: @Joey D already covered the important points lol.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back