Ten's Volvo V40

Discussion in 'Member's Rides' started by TenEightyOne, Nov 16, 2019.

1. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Mrs. Ten and I have been looking at cars for some time, we were planning to buy new or nearly-new. In the end we've decided to get something a little older and to keep the remainder of the savings for a house move that our jobs might require.

We're now the proud owners of a 2012 Volvo V40. It's the diesel D2, something I thought I'd never do... but I love it. No pictures yet because the torrential rain hasn't let up for long enough, but the zero road tax and great mpg are keeping me thoroughly warm inside. It's a Lux so I have the stress of having white leather seats. Hmmm.

Here are a couple of photos from the run into town to collect Mrs. Ten. The urban MPG is a revelation after the Mazda 6 that I scrapped yesterday with a sigh of relief. The front wheel bearings needed changing and they were worth more than the rest of the car.

I'd also like to point out that while I am in a Disabled space there are about 40 more nearer the shop that are unoccupied! :D

V40MPG.png V40Rain.png

yas and SVX like this.
  2. lbpomg95

lbpomg95

As a fellow Volvo owner, I approve! White leather's easy enough to keep clean with the right products, you needn't worry too much! It looks so much nicer than black seats either way. Looking forward to more photos!

TenEightyOne likes this.
  3. SVX

SVX Premium

Very interested to see how this goes. Been really looking at getting a T4 lately, and the design really captivated. Congrats on the purchase!

TenEightyOne likes this.
  4. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Only a few hundred miles so far, too rainy to get any pictures, but love it. With a car full of four people and their gear yesterday it pulled like a train and still did 70mpg. The boot space could be a little more but most of the time it'll just be two of us making journeys. The ride's firm, and I know that's something that some people complain about, but I really like it.

I only have one complaint and that's a minor niggle - the speedo isn't that clear, and there's no mark for 30mph. Coming from an eager, noisy 2.0 petrol to a quietly thrumming diesel I'm still having to keep an eye on the speedo around town, particularly at this time of year when there are lots of Blow Into The Tube events set up around the main roads. for the public to enjoy. I'm finding it hard to spot 30 at a glance but I guess I'll have my ear in soon.

Mrs. Ten thinks there are too many buttons but then it took her six months to get her head around wheel controls on computer mouses.

5. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

More photos, including the slightly annoying (imo) speedo.

Volvo1.jpg Volvo2.jpg Volvo3.jpg Volvo4.jpg Volvo5.jpg Volvo6.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    SVX and yas like this.
  6. yas

yas

Nice, light interior is best to keep the feeling of space. Drove a V40 D2 a year ago and it is pretty much perfect for this size. Congrats!

7. lbpomg95

lbpomg95

Nice to see a manual gearbox too!

8. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

We didn't plan on something quite so light, but we'll see how it goes :lol:

It was never in question :cheers:

9. lbpomg95

lbpomg95

Good on ya :D I used to work for a franchise that included a Volvo dealer - you'd look through the stocklist and I'm sure about 60% of the V40's were auto, and almost all of the other models were auto - I've been wanting a 5 cylinder manual Volvo for ages!

TenEightyOne likes this.