Terrain Testing/Exploring (Bump/Jump Maps) (OP Updated 10/3/15)

• Thread starter Quakebass
  • 103 comments

Quakebass

Premium
United States
Washington
quakebass
Testing/Exploring the Terrain Maps in the GT6 Course Maker

OP Update 10/1/15 - Jump Tracks Comfirmed!

image.jpg

OP Update 10/3/15 - Rough Terrain Confirmed!

image.jpg

9/30/15 - Initial Tests & Findings

Sooo... This was kind of a thing back in the GT5 days - making tracks that resulted in obnoxious pile-ups and car-pocalypses. Inevitably, I'm sure some people (like myself) will start looking to recreate/relive these sorts of things with the new GT6 tool set, so I've started to explore the maps to see what can be done.

So far, I've only gotten to testing a few portions of the Eifel map, and haven't gotten a whole lot of satisfactory results - but there is still lots to explore and experiment with yet.

I've made around 20-30 layouts in this general area, trying multiple ways of laying road on on each hill/mountain on (so far) just the far left 1/4 of the map. Not much that I've created (again, so far) has produced anything satisfying or save-worthy, but I kept this layout to document my observations:

image.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what this thread will become - I'm mighty busy and won't have a lot of time to regularly update the OP with findings, but I feel like this could become a great resource thread for builders out there as more people start to play around. For now, I'm just going to be looking for stuff that causes air time and AI mistakes, as I feel the findings could give insights to both those aiming for jump tracks and those aiming for realism.

- Channels/wrinkles are benign.

One of the first things I explored were the small channels/wrinkles, as they appeared to be very extreme and sudden elevation changes:

image.jpg image.jpg

...However, they also turned out to be the least eventful. There was absolutely no dip or crest in the track, and I couldn't even see where the terrain was supposedly doing so. Because of this, there weren't really any pictures I could grab.

*This starts to become an image-heavy post from this point on, so I'm going to try to put as much content as a spoiler as I can. I apologize for the poor quality, as I don't have a proper capture device. I did my best to capture the best angles to depict what I observed, and included the track map so you could locate where I am in relation to the terrain map.

Observations so far:

- Track appears to smoothen out terrain.

Rather than going with the contours of the hills, many times it seemed like the Tarmac would "cut" into the terrain in order to flatten out the surface it was laying on. It was especially apparent in unloaded sections of track beyond the draw-distance, where you could see the track base. This may make it difficult to get more jolty or extreme elevation changes - and if it is the case, it may explain the lack of visible wrinkles:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

- Steep elevation changes still exist

Despite the apparent smoothening of terrain, it's still possible to get steep hills going up and down mountains. I didn't find any extremely aggressive changes like GT5's Mt. Aso, but I'm still just scratching the surface with this thing:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

- Crests and sudden/destabilizing elevation changes are still possible

Again, despite what I observed to be terrain smoothening, it appears that sharper changes in elevation can still occur at times - but It's still not nearly as aggressive as the stuff you could find in GT5. However, even being in the obnoxiously sticky Tomahawk, I was able to catch a small amount of air at a (relatively) low speed in the corner presented in the second image:

image.jpg

image.jpg

10/1/15 - New Method Found

Massive Breakthrough!

Credit for initial findings goes to @eran0004 and @NFSCARBON1 - they found that dense anchor points seemed to reduce the flattening/smoothening of elevation. I decided to make this the basis of my experiments, and fruitful, immediate results came from it. Thanks, guys!

First things first, here's the layout I used:

image.jpg

...Aaaaaand with all 121 anchor points visible: :lol:

image.jpg

- Re-visiting small channels and wrinkles

Just for fun, I decided to revisit the channels/wrinkles from the day before. That turned out to be the best decision I made, as it gave results immediately. There was terrain I had assumed to be benign after being flattened out by the standard track base in an earlier experiment, but, by adding dense anchor points, it appeared to get broken up a bit, and upon integration had the track largely follow the original contours on the terrain map. I didn't even have to make a single adjustment - beautiful, glorious bumps were there with the first course transfer. Jump tracks are now 100% confirmed:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

- Banking may soften or sharpen bumps

Due to the excitement of an instantaneous jump track, I didn't do a whole lot more extensive testing - I just wanted to drive the thing and get it out there and into the world. However, since it's a very quick adjustment to change the banking severity, I set it to maximum steepness and exported a banked version to compare. There were some parts, largely on only one side (likely due to banking lowering/raising one side of the track to produce tilt) of the bumps that seemed softer or sharper than the original version. I tried to photograph these, but the differences just didn't really come across visually, likely due to my poor image quality. In my layout, it wasn't an extreme change, but this is just the first layout. There is a lot more experimenting to be done on this front - it could be affected more in other situations.

- Realistically rough/semi-rough road surface may be possible to create with extensive tinkering

While most of the bumps were large, there were a few smaller, more mellow bumps here and there throughout the track. Some of them really reminded me of some sort of road-rally stage - and as I've mentioned before, this came up in my very first iteration. I made no adjustments to this track after the first export (aside from the banking, obviously). There is a good chance that, as people begin to utilize this dense anchor point method, more complex, realistically bumpy surfaces could start to crop up in user-created tracks. This, like the last observation, was also very rushed and without much depth, but this one I can actually display visually. I've only really used hard-suspensioned sports and race cars in my tests so far, so even my physical analysis is limited, but here they are. This is definitely something I'm going to test more deeply sooner rather than later:

image.jpg

image.jpg

- Results/Predictions/Conclusions:

9/30/15 - I'd be willing to bet larger crests can be produced with further testing and more of the map explored. Also, basing on the Sierra track, the Andalusia location seems to have more aggressive terrain, and may produce even better results (of course, depending on your idea of "better" :lol:). But there's still a lot of testing to do to know for sure.

10/1/15 - I've just opened a can of worms, here. I don't even really know what to try next - likely building a track with a larger lead up and runoff for larger jumps. But there's soooooo much more terrain to explore, now that we know the track can be affected by each and every little divet. Track width is probably a good thing to look at, and it'd probably be good to just take a few peeks at the other locations to see how much/if they differ from Eifel. There isn't much else to conclude on other than that jump tracks are very much alive and well, and that this is only the beginning - everything I built today was purely by accident, all in my initial test track. When people figure out how to harness (maybe even exploit) the tools available to us, I can't even begin to imagine what will be created. If anyone makes any observations or creations that give more insights, and can back them up with some sort of visual or screen grab, as long as it's plenty visible and clear what you're trying to show, I'd be more than happy to include it in an OP update.

- Notes:

- I haven't played with track width settings all that much yet.
- I used the Tomahawk VGT purely to make the process of screenshots and traveling around the track faster.
- I haven't tested with soft-suspensioned vehicles yet.

Last edited:
After my first day with the app it seems like elevation changes might be linked to how close together you put the anchors. I got a scary jump at the Death Valley map after putting several anchors close to each other over a crest.

I would like to see that. Sounds interesting!

After my first day with the app it seems like elevation changes might be linked to how close together you put the anchors. I got a scary jump at the Death Valley map after putting several anchors close to each other over a crest.

Cool, I'll retry the wrinkles with this method tonight, and update the OP with your credit if there's anything noteworthy.

Just to clarify: The crest was already there on the map, but putting the anchors close together seemed to prevent it from being smoothened by the track.

I'm trying to do tracks with closer anchors over the crests, bumps, etc to see what happens.

I wish they had an option to show elevation levels. You know, the ones that have different colors usually between red and yellow to show elevation levels.

You kinda have to guess unfortunately

Breakthroughs have been made!

Thank you @eran0004 and @NFSCARBON1 - your methods achieved results! I'll credit you when I put the more detailed analysis in the OP.

...I really don't have words to describe this:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

...And this is without banking...

Here's the track map:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll get this one shared real quick for anyone interested, and perhaps a banked variant as well.

Last edited:
Another quick update - banking appears to have smoothened some of the bumps a little bit. They're still very much there and very much capable of spinning and rolling your car (and the ones I photographed seemed to have actually seem to have gotten slightly bigger), but just they're just a little more modest. It's still gonna go on my profile.

With thorough trial-and-error people may actually be able to use this to make tracks with bumpy, road-rally-like surfaces, but we'll see. It certainly adds a lot more detail in the track map at minimum, so I'd actually highly recommend jamming in dense anchor points to see what you can create.

@Quakebass Just out of interest, how many corners does it say that you've got? :eek:

Is there a way to check? I'm certainly not gonna count 'em :P

That looks fun lol, would be intresting to drive on that. How do we find the track when its shared?

As far as I know, you can only share tracks with friended users in the community section. Feel free to drop a request, I have very few GT friends on PSN.

I'm opening up a public lobby for anyone that wants to try it out, ID is 1472-4711-0167-3382-2043. I'll only be able to keep it open for an hour or two since it's already going on 1 AM here...

***EDIT*** - Lobby closed.

Last edited:

As far as I know, you can only share tracks with friended users in the community section. Feel free to drop a request, I have very few GT friends on PSN.

I'm opening up a public lobby for anyone that wants to try it out, ID is 1472-4711-0167-3382-2043. I'll only be able to keep it open for an hour or two since it's already going on 1 AM here...

I nabbed the number from your public profile (the one @JoaoSilva just posted). People are able to save your creation to their profile from there, and it retains the proper creator credits. 👍

I nabbed the number from your public profile (the one @JoaoSilva just posted). People are able to save your creation to their profile from there, and it retains the proper creator credits. 👍

Thank you so much! I'd be amazed if I end up being the first person to ever make a jump track in GT6...

This was only an experiemental excersize. I know there's massively more creative minds than mine on this site, people are gonna be making WAAAY more amazing things than this, I'm sure 👍

Thank you so much! I'd be amazed if I end up being the first person to ever make a jump track in GT6...

This was only an experiemental excersize. I know there's massively more creative minds than mine on this site, people are gonna be making WAAAY more amazing things than this, I'm sure 👍

About an hour or two ago I saw an amazing jump track that was a point to point line filled with massive jumps, by the amount of mini turns I can tell he would of used a similar method you have. It'd be great if you could try one of those ;)

About an hour or two ago I saw an amazing jump track that was a point to point line filled with massive jumps, by the amount of mini turns I can tell he would of used a similar method you have. It'd be great if you could try one of those ;)

Well, all I know for sure is that the images in my initial discovery post were taken at 11:40 PM PST (a little less than 3 hours prior to this post), and my post in the "Courses not Transferring" thread was just about the exact moment I got the map transferred. There very well could've been people trying the method before me.

I'll look for those sprint tracks, though, they sound fun 👍

Is your psn Quakebass? My psn is ChrisFax4Ever

Well, all I know for sure is that the images in my initial discovery post were taken at 11:40 PM PST (a little less than 3 hours prior to this post), and my post in the "Courses not Transferring" thread was just about the exact moment I got the map transferred. There very well could've been people trying the method before me.

I'll look for those sprint tracks, though, they sound fun 👍

I can't wait, the sprint jump track I was on was pretty insane and a lot of fun to jump over each other online. I'd love to see your end result since your test jump track was a lot of fun with the AI. If you can make a long straight with jumps I'd maybe suggest making it sort of like an oval for racing?

I can't wait, the sprint jump track I was on was pretty insane and a lot of fun to jump over each other online. I'd love to see your end result since your test jump track was a lot of fun with the AI. If you can make a long straight with jumps I'd maybe suggest making it sort of like an oval for racing?

Yeah, that's the plan. This was literally the first thing that came out after the transfer, it was such a satisfying surprise. I haven't even made anything outside of Eifel, there's sooooooo much to explore and test.

Breakthroughs have been made!

Thank you @eran0004 and @NFSCARBON1 - your methods achieved results! I'll credit you when I put the more detailed analysis in the OP.

...I really don't have words to describe this:

View attachment 454798

View attachment 454799

View attachment 454800

...And this is without banking...

Here's the track map:

View attachment 454801

View attachment 454802

I'll get this one shared real quick for anyone interested, and perhaps and banked variant as well.
How to do this Bump and Jump Track? I want to be able to do some jumps into my car! :D

Maybe there is hope for making a proper reproduction of Mid-Ohio after all. The front straight is flat then rises up into the Keyhole back down the backstraight and kink to China Beach and then the sharp rise and fall of Madness. I just afraid that it would take a lot of experimenting and re-aligning of the course to get the elevation changes to occur in the right places. Can more anchor points be added in after the course is drawn or do you have to do them as you go?

Maybe there is hope for making a proper reproduction of Mid-Ohio after all. The front straight is flat then rises up into the Keyhole back down the backstraight and kink to China Beach and then the sharp rise and fall of Madness. I just afraid that it would take a lot of experimenting and re-aligning of the course to get the elevation changes to occur in the right places. Can more anchor points be added in after the course is drawn or do you have to do them as you go?

There are a few functions that I found but didn't see specified in the in-app tutorial - that was one of them, as well as a "reduce corner radius" item.

I'll screenshot them when I get a break from my calculus class :lol:

*Edit: Images:

(I might end up using this as a tutorial in the OP, actually)

There's a minimum section length upon adding a section:

image.jpg

...But you can shorten it in post:

image.jpg

...And cut slightly more off through rotating end points:

image.jpg image.jpg

Then, you can hold your finger on the track section to get a pop-up tab:

image.jpg

There's a minimum section length, so adding an anchor point won't work if the piece is already near-minimum length (I don't really see this as an issue):

image.jpg

Decreasing radius decreases track width boundaries (I'm pretty sure this affects scenery options):

image.jpg image.jpg

...However, it won't shrink minimum section length:

image.jpg

...But will allow sharper corners, which may allow over-all denser anchor points of linked together properly:

image.jpg

It will definitely require thorough testing and tinkering, but I think the results of this dense-anchor method are worth it.

Last edited:
Back