Terrorized Asphalt at Capri.

Rotary Junkie

Premium
United States
Canton, MI
RJs_RX-7
Terrorized Asphalt 1: Lancer Rally Vs FD RX-7

The small island of Capri was crawling with spectators for the day's event. They had been there for hours anticipating an event that was expected to last 10-15 minutes at most... A 1-on-1 battle between a Lancer Evo and an RX-7. It wouldn't have been much of a match, with the lightweight FD usually taking the crown with superior acceleration and cornering, had it not been for the caliber of Evolution brought out.

Instead of the overweight-but-small road-going Lancer Evolution, a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Super Rally Car was brought out. Effectively an Evo VIII on crack, the SRC had been stripped down to WRC Group A minimum weight (1230kg) and used a heavily tuned 4G63 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder producing 322hp and 398 ft-lbs of torque. Add in the rather high-downforce aerodynamic package and race-use-only slicks, and it becomes a force to be reckoned with.

The opposing FD wasn't exactly average either, but in a different way. Instead of the average large-turbo, 400-500hp 13B, this car was rather stock under the hood, with the only modifications being very mild porting, a rebalanced eccentric shaft and fresh rotors, and a straight pipe exhaust. Output: 296hp and 249 ft-lbs of torque. The car also carried a full interior and was not lightened in any way shape or form, putting curb weight at 1260kg. On paper, it would seem that while the cars were close, the FD stood no chance. With no downforce and DOT-legal (barely) cheater slicks, it was at a disadvantage in all areas. No matter how well geared it was or how well tuned the suspension was, it seemed it stood no chance.

The race was started at a 50mph roll with the Evo leading. It pulled away a bit until the first corner where the FD's driver nailed the brakes a bit too late, gaining and then falling back slightly. Yet the car rotated well enough to provide a straight shot onto the straight leading to the second hairpin, allowing it to gain back onto the Evo's tail slightly. The jump before the second hairpin bottomed both cars out slightly, but neither was upset by it whatsoever. Seemed the Evo was at about the same exact distance away upon exiting the second corner as it was exiting the first. The third hairpin showed the FD gracefully kicking the tail out without need for countersteer or lifting off throttle, and taking it slightly quicker than the Evo, gaining slightly. But the climb up to the fourth hairpin of the course gave the Evo a chance to walk away slightly. Neither car seemed too upset by the second jump of the course, and the RX-7 again gained slightly through the corner and on exit of the fourth hairpin, with the Evo pulling back away down the straight. The RX-7 again gained on the long right-hand sweeper before the S-section, but lost out slightly through the esses due to the less-grippy tires and lack of downforce. The following right-hand sweeper, the RX-7 gained again slightly, then both cars plunged downhill through a quick left-right section followed directly by a tight hairpin. The RX-7 was at least four car lengths behind the Evo, but gaining slightly. Then, at the braking zone before the hairpin, the driver of the FD saw an opening. A small one, and a risky one, but an opening. He delayed braking until much later than the Evo, passing on the inside. There was some mild rubbing after the pass, as the Evo's driver refused to alter his line for the bright red RX-7 suddenly inside of him, but the RX-7 pulled away from it easily. While the race was supposed to be 5 laps long, and was indeed run for the full 5 laps, it was decided there. The Evo would gain a bit, but then lose it back just as quickly. The FD pulled away to a 3.7 second lead by the end of the fourth lap, but the Evo gained some of that back through the hairpin sector at the beginning of the course, where the FD's driver was oddly off-line and therefore slower.

Victor: FD RX-7.

Total Times:
1991 Mazda RX-7 Type R (FD, J): 10:57.673
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Super Rally Car: 11:00.254

Sounds like a pretty epic battle on the first lap there! :P

Would of been better with pictures but I can imagine it well with your description. :)

I'm confused...which one were you driving, RJ?

obviously the FD, as it says in his username, Rotary Junkie..,

BTW, this reminds me of my story (see my sig) nice race RJ.., how many A-Spec points did you get??

@ VTiRoj - it has to sound epic.., we have to exaggerate, otherwise it wouldn't be worth or interesting reading it.., ;)

obviously the FD, as it says in his username, Rotary Junkie..,

BTW, this reminds me of my story (see my sig) nice race RJ.., how many A-Spec points did you get??

@ VTiRoj - it has to sound epic.., we have to exaggerate, otherwise it wouldn't be worth or interesting reading it.., ;)

Thats true, us Capri Reporters are the best as such things it seems. :sly:

See my sig for my Capri story too! :dopey:

have you noticed something?? us 3 did the Capri Rally in 3 different difficulties..,

VtiRoj (you) - Easy
=drifting24/7= (me) - Normal
Rotary Junkie - Hard

have you noticed something?? us 3 did the Capri Rally in 3 different difficulties..,

VtiRoj (you) - Easy
=drifting24/7= (me) - Normal
Rotary Junkie - Hard

:eek:

Freaky.

Or is it the sign? A sign at how our minds are one? 3 sides of the same... er... 3 sided thing. :sly:

Maybe all 3 of you are triplets....seperated by time & space and yet....able to subtly communicate via a 3rd-party message bulletin board. Perhaps it's time to call Maury or Oprah so they can exploit this phenomenon on one of their cheesy shows.

...damn, now i'm starting to sound epic! :eek:

Orpah. On her birth certificate, it says Orpah.

Also, unless D24/7 managed more than 178 A-Spec points, I nabbed the most out of the three of us.

Also, unless D24/7 managed more than 178 A-Spec points, I nabbed the most out of the three of us.

Just you watch, I'll nab 200 points later today. :sly:

I think my NSX-R got over 100 points from this race, although against the mad 205, not the puny Lancer. :P

yeah you did.., i only got 156 A-Spec points, i'm 22 points short but still, i enjoyed my race.., :sly:

Back