Testimonial from a guy who switched to iRacing

• Thread starter highlifeGT
  • 12 comments
JimmyLoops
After more than a decade of sim racing in Gran Turismo, I finally checked out iRacing and what it had to offer.
The reasons for trying it out were many, all of which had occured within the last few months: I finally got brave enough to install bootcamp and windows on my Mac Pro (silver tower of power! lol), I purchased an Nvidia GTX 970 (out of blind luck it worked, i really didnt know for sure if it would). I got oculus rift dk2. And I made a few modifications to my gnarly modded bob earl VRC so I could last a few hours in the aftermarket seat I bolted on last winter.

After about a week of practice, practice, and more practice on the free cars provided, I got into a few races. I did quite well. I got out of rookie class in about 2 days.

Once I got used to the menu layout, configured graphics to be smooth during a full grid race, and learned about the importance of safety rating, irating, and league rules etc, I was hooked.

The one drawback, if any, is that I cannot possibly play this game without oculus rift. Its all I know. I can understand the allure of 3 screens for alot of guys, and there ARE certainly some advantages, but I have found solutions to pretty much every claim against rift not being suitable for serious racing. it IS suitable. you need the right hardware, a solid memorable button layout, and a little bit of luck with windows and decent drivers for all hardware.

I've spent about 100$ in add on tracks and cars. I suspect more purchases are soon to follow.

Last night I just got heavily invested in the CTS-V Global challange (ironically this one was free). Talk about a hard car to drive! Challenge accepted! I think the harder the car is to drive, the more fun I have.

I had to post my thoughts here even if they're a bit rambling in nature. I've defended gran turismo on many occasions from nay sayers who play nothing but Iracing. I can see why so many sim racers prefer iracing though. I absolutely love it, and the best part is that the community is pretty civilized compared to just about every other racing game online. I'll still take the T500 and Gran turismo out for some joy rides, but iracing is definately my go-to for sim racing and friendly networking.

(first thing i said when I arrived in a public practice was, "So everyone here has a wheel right?" -how naive of me to doubt it...of course they do. This will be my new home lol.

Attachments

• vrc 2015.JPG
    vrc 2015.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 95
nice into!
FOV is the most talked about thing (next to FFB) on the iracing forum. You can still have a good time with a single monitor but yes, triples or Oculus Rift helps lots!
The Caddy is a good laugh and oh boy, does it sound great!!!

nice into!
FOV is the most talked about thing (next to FFB) on the iracing forum. You can still have a good time with a single monitor but yes, triples or Oculus Rift helps lots!
The Caddy is a good laugh and oh boy, does it sound great!!!
Yes! I agree. Every one of my friends that took it out for a spin said it was a heavy, noisy, "dookie" car. I thought so too at first. But i kepy coming back again and again, if only just for the spectacle. Then i a few days ago it just clicked, and i got dialed in and just focused on line and smoothness. Feels amazing to tame. And Probably one of the best car engines I've heard in the game so far. I didnt mention but I'm a huge audiofile. One of the main reasons I haven't moved the whole rig back into my room is because I've got a 7.1 onkyo HDMI receiver and some Energy brand speakers. They're basically klipsch speakers with specialized internals for some extra impact. Every time I fire up that CTS my roommates come out into the living room to watch...then they remember I don't like to stream oculus on OBS during a race lol. All frame rates are belong to me. Can't take a hit.
Placed second and boosted my safety rating and irating up a huge amount last night. Ready for early promo real soon

How does the CTS feel compared to the ford falcon or the other touring car style cars?

Another thought that crossed my mind was that since I primarily played gran turismo with touring cars and gt class cars over the years, maybe these gnarly CTS cars will be my bread n butter. Lol.

The V8SC's are a handful! much more the the Caddy. I have only done about 3 sessions with my Falcon. I do more driving in the GT3's with the RUF.

They're a challenge but if you enjoy a challenge, definitely rewarding when you get it right with the V8SC.

I used to run triple screens with iRacing but now I run the Oculus Rift DK2 exclusively. There is no way I could go back to using triple screens, no way.

Welcome to the "REAL RACING SIMULATION" (cringes @game reference) lol. Iv' been on the service for 1 year now (GT lifer no more) and loving it! The only thing I don't like is that there's no GTR GT3 :banghead:

P.S. AC + The Green Hell + GTR GT3 is real nice too

Welcome to the "REAL RACING SIMULATION" (cringes @game reference) lol. Iv' been on the service for 1 year now (GT lifer no more) and loving it! The only thing I don't like is that there's no GTR GT3 :banghead:

P.S. AC + The Green Hell + GTR GT3 is real nice too

HAha, I think I like Iracing because theres no GTR. God I cant join Gran turismo online rooms anymore just because half the time there's a pack of GTR mod racers with tunes copied and pasted from their buddy's forum post.

If iRacing brings a GTR and a bunch of Gran turismo drivers flock over to iracing, we could see some dark days approaching in the world of iracing, LOL! jk...seriously though. lol

Oh, forgot to mention...I ordered an Accuforce Wheel last week. I'm heading down to Ohio to visit my Mom, and coincidentally, Sim Experience headquarters are 20 minutes from her house...found this out just recently. Half their employees live in the same part of town as she does. small world.

I ordered an Accuforce Wheel last week.

:cheers:

Cool! So have I! :-)

Although iRacing is awesome with even the most basic of equipment, using more high end stuff really adds to the immersion and fun. Last year I moved to using a Rift - fantastic! A few months I started using SimVibe. Lovely! Last week I upgraded to HE Pro pedals. Feel so much better! In a few months I'll add an AF. Then life will be complete and I won't want for anything else. Honest!

HAha, I think I like Iracing because theres no GTR. God I cant join Gran turismo online rooms anymore just because half the time there's a pack of GTR mod racers with tunes copied and pasted from their buddy's forum post.

If iRacing brings a GTR and a bunch of Gran turismo drivers flock over to iracing, we could see some dark days approaching in the world of iracing, LOL! jk...seriously though. lol
I thinks not! I didn't say every version of the GTR, from the first to the current? This is a racing sim not a driving sim. The Miata is on the service, but not every version known to man and luckly I only HAD to drive that once or thrice ever. Up until, not that long ago, GT3 Challenge could've almost been a "spec race challenge" with the small sampling of cars to choose from IMO. I drive the Ford because it aint easy and with the last build, it's big advantage "straight away speed" was minimized...oh well.

Back