TH8a Troubleshooting

• Thread starter s15specr
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Im using a TH8a shifter with my T-GT on GT Sport and im currently having an issue.

When i shift there is a delay in shifting gears, and the game doesn't seem to recognise when the clutch is pushed in, it just shifts into gear without needing the clutch like it would if you never had one. Im only having this issue when the TH8a is connected directly to my PS4 via usb, it works with no issue when plugged into the T-GT, however this means i cannot use my TSS Handbrake :(.

I had been working flawlessly plugged directly into my PS4 up until the last few times ive played.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for the replies guys.

You might have to use the TM Sim Hub, it allows you to connect multiple thrustmaster peripherals to the same wheelbase. It works great for me on Xbox

This is an option, but i don't think its ideal as i only use the TH8a and TSS, and it was working fine until this point, id rather not spend any more money if i can help it.

What about other PS4 driving games that support the shifter being connected via USB - https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/th8a-en/

There are quite a few of them. If the shifter works ok in those then it points to GTS being the problem.

This is a good idea as i forgot i also have Dirt 2.0 installed on my PS4, although ive never played it. Hope there are cars on there with manual transmissions though as thats the only thing im having trouble with

the game doesn't seem to recognise when the clutch is pushed in, it just shifts into gear without needing the clutch like it would if you never had one.

That's the default transmission setting on GTS (not the delay, though.) You'll have to change to fully manual gear mode by pushing the clutch pedal once every time you start on the track. And only some of the N class cars (the ones with stock manual transmission) can be used this way. You'll know it's in full manual when the game displays a # symbol where the currently selected gear is usually displayed when you do a misshift (i.e. too fast, or without clutching properly.) Caveat: My th8 is connected directly to the wheel, so it might not work with the usb connection.

From the GTS user manual:

Gear Stick and Clutch Controls
If you are using a steering wheel controller that has a gear stick (such as the Guillemot TH8 RS shifter) and a clutch pedal, please be sure to select Manual (MT) transmission in Driving Options. When you start racing, paddle shift will be automatically selected, but you can change the mode by performing the following actions:

Using the gear stick -> The gear stick alone will become operational. (Auto-clutch mode.)
Stepping on the clutch pedal -> The gear stick and clutch will both become operational. (Full Manual Mode.)

Using the paddle shift controls in either of these modes will automatically switch the system back to paddle shift mode.

There are certain cars, such as those with torque converters, CVT, dual clutches etc. in which a clutch pedal cannot be used even if a manual transmission mode is available.

Edit: IMO, the only games that benefits of having a handbrake are rally games, so maybe you don't need to always have it connected.

Last edited:
That's the default transmission setting on GTS (not the delay, though.) You'll have to change to fully manual gear mode by pushing the clutch pedal once every time you start on the track. And only some of the N class cars (the ones with stock manual transmission) can be used this way. You'll know it's in full manual when the game displays a # symbol where the currently selected gear is usually displayed when you do a misshift (i.e. too fast, or without clutching properly.) Caveat: My th8 is connected directly to the wheel, so it might not work with the usb connection.

From the GTS user manual:

Edit: IMO, the only games that benefits of having a handbrake are rally games, so maybe you don't need to always have it connected.

Thanks for your reply buddy, however it doesn't solve my problem,

Im fully aware of how it usually works, but ive been using the shifter plugged directly into the ps4 with my handbrake connected to my wheel for almost 1 year with no issues until now though, which is what im confused about.

When plugged directly in now it goes out of the manual mode and using the clutch does nothing, theres also a strange delay in some shifts too.

I really want to have my handbrake working again though, i use it for drifting and parking in lobbies and i miss it :(, ive actually applied the handbrake by second nature several times since its been disconnected :lol:

Well good news,

I just connected the TSS back to the T-GT, and the TH8a back into the PS4, but i swapped the usb cables from the front of the PS4 and it seems to be working again :D, lets just hope it doesn't start glitching again.

I didn't test it before swapping the usb cables though so who knows if that has made a difference or not.

ive been using the shifter plugged directly into the ps4 with my handbrake connected to my wheel for almost 1 year with no issues until now though, which is what im confused about.

That's does sound annoying. I'd test the shifter in another game, or with the configuration software on a PC. Good luck troubleshooting:tup:

Well good news,

I just connected the TSS back to the T-GT, and the TH8a back into the PS4, but i swapped the usb cables from the front of the PS4 and it seems to be working again :D, lets just hope it doesn't start glitching again.

I didn't test it before swapping the usb cables though so who knows if that has made a difference or not.

Fingers crossed here!:cool:

Back