"That One Car"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bengalryan9
  • 21 comments
  • 2,697 views
Messages
16
Messages
NKURyan
You know the one. You enter a race or a series, and it's the car that makes you instantly think that it's going to be 5x harder than it would've been other wise. The car that you'll be neck and neck with despite being more than 10 seconds up on the rest of the pack. Those cars you almost dread seeing in the starting grid. Cars like:

Ferrari Enzo in the Ferrari only race - the Enzo(s) tend to pull out way in front in this race putting up much more of a fight than any of the other Ferraris. If you're doing this at the level when you first unlock the event chances are you don't have the money to buy and tune one of the top shelf Ferraris, either. I remember doing this with a 512bb, the only one I could afford at the time. I had to cut the chicanes at Monza to grab a lead and then hold on for dear life.

That one Jaguar race car in the Dream Cup - compared to the rest of the field this car is ridiculously overpowered. It has something like 900hp to a weight of 900 ratio, which is far better than any of the other "typical opponents". Ups the challenge considerably.

Chapparal 2J, Historic Racing Cup - the prime example of "that one car" in my opinion. You WILL see it in the races as the pool of "typical opponents" is so small that it will show up every time. It's far more powerful than the other cars, and if you're like me (and many other players, judging from some of the posts around here) you are generally trying to scrape through this with an underpowered car (a Countach, or RM Camaro) because it's all you can afford. I think when a big part of the strategy is "hope the 2J doesn't start in front of you" that speaks for itself. I've heard people say the same thing about the Toyota 7, but I personally haven't had too many problems with it (good luck, maybe?).

There's a few that come to mind... any others out there that fit the bill?
 
There was this one race that a Bugatti would show up from time to time. That Veyron did not like me for some reason. It would go out of its way to ram me off the track!
 
Ya, this is one of the reasons why A-spec races feel boring and rigged most of the time. Unfortunately, there will always be only 2-3 cars tops that will fight for the win, the rest are their as high speed traffic. Even in the Super GT race, there is 1 car that is way faster than the others.
 
Amuse S2000 GT1 and the ARTA NSX. They are the only opposition in the Tuned Cup and the SuperGT championship.

However, most blatant examples are the 2J and the XJR-9, proof that PD didn't thought stuff trough.
 
You know the one. You enter a race or a series, and it's the car that makes you instantly think that it's going to be 5x harder than it would've been other wise. The car that you'll be neck and neck with despite being more than 10 seconds up on the rest of the pack. Those cars you almost dread seeing in the starting grid. Cars like:

Ferrari Enzo in the Ferrari only race - the Enzo(s) tend to pull out way in front in this race putting up much more of a fight than any of the other Ferraris. If you're doing this at the level when you first unlock the event chances are you don't have the money to buy and tune one of the top shelf Ferraris, either. I remember doing this with a 512bb, the only one I could afford at the time. I had to cut the chicanes at Monza to grab a lead and then hold on for dear life.

That one Jaguar race car in the Dream Cup - compared to the rest of the field this car is ridiculously overpowered. It has something like 900hp to a weight of 900 ratio, which is far better than any of the other "typical opponents". Ups the challenge considerably.

Chapparal 2J, Historic Racing Cup - the prime example of "that one car" in my opinion. You WILL see it in the races as the pool of "typical opponents" is so small that it will show up every time. It's far more powerful than the other cars, and if you're like me (and many other players, judging from some of the posts around here) you are generally trying to scrape through this with an underpowered car (a Countach, or RM Camaro) because it's all you can afford. I think when a big part of the strategy is "hope the 2J doesn't start in front of you" that speaks for itself. I've heard people say the same thing about the Toyota 7, but I personally haven't had too many problems with it (good luck, maybe?).

There's a few that come to mind... any others out there that fit the bill?

The Toyota 7 destroys it. I had to wait until I got the 7 before letting Bob do the HRC and even then I had to hold his hand throughout the entire race. Deep Forest, he won by 0.5 seconds to the other Toyota 7. The 2J was about 20 seconds back.
Monaco, bob wins again by .5 seconds against the other 7. But, this time the 2J was right on us.

The Toyota 7 has horrible low end accel because it's so light and powerful. the 2J is heavy so it can blast out of slow corners, but the 7 will eat the 2J for breakfast after it reaches 90 MPH.
 
In the grind race at Indy, there always seem to be 3, 4 or 5 ford GT's in the grid and they dominate everyone (except the 2J)... Good thing I have a spec II test car which is the king of the GTs
 
The Toyota 7 destroys it. I had to wait until I got the 7 before letting Bob do the HRC and even then I had to hold his hand throughout the entire race. Deep Forest, he won by 0.5 seconds to the other Toyota 7. The 2J was about 20 seconds back.
Monaco, bob wins again by .5 seconds against the other 7. But, this time the 2J was right on us.

The Toyota 7 has horrible low end accel because it's so light and powerful. the 2J is heavy so it can blast out of slow corners, but the 7 will eat the 2J for breakfast after it reaches 90 MPH.

The problem at Monaco is you do most of the racing at under 90.
 
Every. Single. Like The Wind car. Finding the Nomad Lambo and turning it into Ferruccio Lamborghini's wet dream does not save me from looking like I might as well have brought a Prius to that race. I need just a bit more XP to put me over 23, then I can save up for the FGT! Why does it have to be so excruciating?!
 
I went to some European race thing, and I used my Corsa, and sitting next to me at the start was a Veyron.
 
ya that happens sometimes to me...on one race i kept losing to a certain car, but then i bought a bunch of upgrades, but when i returned, the car was gone and i won the race easily...
 
Lamborghini Muira in IC-10 (or is it IB-10? The one in Rome.) and a coupla other races. Kaz must either own one of these or desperately want one cuz it's RIDICULOUS. Outperforms stuff that it has no right to. I HATE that car. I can't wait to get one in game so I can run it into walls over and over again. :)

And that damn Toyota 7 in the B-Spec Historic Car Cup. 2Js & 2Ns are solid, but I could consistently coach my Bob to 2nd place over them in his Jag XJ13, but lost dozens of times to a 7 until I finally got a fortuitous starting grid with just one Toyo 7 that started all the way in the back. It finished 4th on one course and a hard-charging 2nd on the other.
 
There was this one race that a Bugatti would show up from time to time. That Veyron did not like me for some reason. It would go out of its way to ram me off the track!

You sure you just weren't in the way when it couldn't turn or slow down? :)
 
2Js & _2Ns_ are solid
What? 2D you mean?

Most annoying situations must have to be the Toyota 7 or the 2J at the Historic cup or the Peugeot race car and the Minolta at GT All stars.

While we are on the subject does anyone else feel like in Gallardo Trophy that those 3 :censored:s are quite much always on the lead and never stop going? And I mean always! No matter how many times you exit and come back, they are still there.
 
that jag xjr-9 pisses me off in the dream car championship. Always there right behind u, waiting for u to slip up.
 
Anything with the word "Turbo" after it in a one make and model race. Like the Toyota Vitz races....
 
The Schwarzwald Liga A - the Opel Speedster (standard, not Turbo) is a right pain in the arse...same goes for any race featuring the Miura too. The Ford GT at the Polyphont Digital cup is another.
 
The amuse s2000 gt1 in one of the early races in A-spec dominates the field
 
I took an SLS to the super car cup and saw a Veyron, and thought maybe this isn't such a good idea, but I beat it and everyone else in their 2 million dollar cars.
 
besides the obvious, 2j's and toyota 7's

Those cars for me are the Takata and Arta NSX's in the Suzuka 1000km, that when its not raining can close on just about anything, and my JTGC/SGT cars can't battle with them, not even my older Arta NSX. Don't really feel like spending a fortune on a newer model.

Also, early in A-Spec in the Japanese 80s race I think, theres a Skyline that says in the car list its stock 212. That thing was at least 230 and gave me fits until I found one in UCD to fight it with. I was using like an 86 G model MR2.

The Enzo in the ferrari race in B-spec is also a problem. Seeing as how I don't particularly like ferrari, they gimped the only two that matter in the game (512 and F40) and didn't include any competitizione F430's in race trim.
 
Back