The 20-Minute Challenge

Canada
Ottawa
Pyano1132
This thread isn’t really a competition ‘er anything. It’s just a little game I came up with when I was bored today. The only opponents here are your creativity and the speed of your thumbs.

I decided to impose a set of restrictions on myself as listed below:

The 20-Minute Challenge:

• 20 minutes on a phone alarm, when the timer runs out, hands off your controller.
  • As much prep time as you want prior to the start of the timer is allowed for finding decals/creating folders/picking colours. No design work is allowed beforehand besides what’s in your brainhole.
  • Extra time is allowed after the initial 20 minutes to patch holes and straighten sponsors. No major alterations are allowed, however.
  • The design must be racing-inspired, must be a mostly original creation and must have sport mode plates. Extra time is allowed after the timer runs out to fix/add number plates, driver names, light colour etc.
Feel free to change/alter/fool around with the rules a bit for your own run. They aren’t set in stone.

Here’s what I came up with on attempt number 3, my first run with an AMG GT3. Forgive the phone photos, but I’m missing my flash drive for the PS4 at the moment.

67E6F1A5-1EE7-47C9-A216-550F1A5060E9.jpeg

A01F358B-CBFA-4B38-8CD2-44B3CDC4F1A3.jpeg

So if any of you guys want to try the challenge, I’m excited to see what you come up with!

Here is my Livery to this challenge, I kept most of the rules, but I forgot I wasn't suppose to use other Numberplates. Here is what I came up with.

20190601065052.jpg
20190601065100.jpg

This is my take on what a GT4 effort could look like from BMW Racing Team Turner Motorsports. It follows a simplictic 4-Stripe Pattern with Gradient Work to fill in for the rest of the design and make it more full and bold. I got all the sponsors I'd use in advanced along with the signature turner stripes so I wouldn't be spending 20 years making the stripes manually while working with gradients. The Design itself took around 15 minutes to finish as working with Gradients as I did was fairly easy, and the sponsor/numberplate placement took the extra 5, with a little 2-3 minute run-off.

20190601065125.jpg

The Design in Total took no more than 60 decals to complete. Please feel free to tell me how I did.

Here is my Livery to this challenge, I kept most of the rules, but I forgot I wasn't suppose to use other Numberplates. Here is what I came up with.

View attachment 824884 View attachment 824885

This is my take on what a GT4 effort could look like from BMW Racing Team Turner Motorsports. It follows a simplictic 4-Stripe Pattern with Gradient Work to fill in for the rest of the design and make it more full and bold. I got all the sponsors I'd use in advanced along with the signature turner stripes so I wouldn't be spending 20 years making the stripes manually while working with gradients. The Design itself took around 15 minutes to finish as working with Gradients as I did was fairly easy, and the sponsor/numberplate placement took the extra 5, with a little 2-3 minute run-off.

View attachment 824886

The Design in Total took no more than 60 decals to complete. Please feel free to tell me how I did.

Wow, that single-handedly made me disappointed in every person who uses those awful liveries in Sport Mode if it only takes 20 minutes to do something like that. Bravo.

Wow, that single-handedly made me disappointed in every person who uses those awful liveries in Sport Mode if it only takes 20 minutes to do something like that. Bravo.

Thank you. I would say I worked hard on it but it's a 20 minute. It was really just 8 stripes, some gradients, and then Colorful, Race-Ready sponsors. A simple design yet it's something that'll have people looking on Race day. My favourite Part in particular is the Stripe Transition, how the White stripe just transitions from the white and bleeds theough the Red, and how the red transitions from the rRed and into the white. And also the Gradient on the Rear, I get both a Race-Feel from the Red, Blue, and then a soft, tropical, relaxing feel from the stunning purple transition.

I like that Lexus, just added it to my collection 👍 The Nissan is pretty unique, sure looks different in blue. By the way, my Gran Turismo a.d.d. got in the way and I missed the part about including a number plate....I'll fix that in my next livery.

I'm enjoying this 20 minute rule.

Thanks for the tip on folders! I had no idea you can do that and have hundreds of decals in my collection. Always takes my PS4 ages to load them all up :lol:

That would take me a whole evening to produce. Nice one.

Thanks, really it was just two diagonal rectangles duplicated a couple times each and shifted around, then a large gradient decal was placed underneath. Patch the holes, add decals and presto. You could make the whole design in less than 30 layers minus decals.

Sometimes simpler is better.

This was really a challenge to follow the 20 minute rule. The Hakosuka inspired livery doesn't look to bad on the Toyota, but I think the stripes on the side don't look all that great since they have the body contours to deal with.
upload_2019-11-10_18-30-8.png

upload_2019-11-10_18-30-32.png

upload_2019-11-10_18-29-12-png.864360

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-10_18-29-12.png
    upload_2019-11-10_18-29-12.png
    34 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I just now saw this old thread for the first time, and this is incredible. I've always been terribad at making liveries in games. I bet it could take me a week or more just to put something together that looked hideous. To think some of you can crank out stuff that looks this good in 20 minutes blows my mind. I'd love to see video(s) of this 20-minute livery-creation process in action if any of you felt like taking the time to share guidance. Thanks.

* edit/update... For anybody else interested, I found this YouTube playlist of over 100 short videos (most around 3-4 minutes) that show some quick time-lapsed ("speed art") of GT Sport race liveries being created in the livery editor. They're not the most advanced/elaborate liveries, but they're way better than anything I've ever done, and they give me an easily-digestible glimpse into understanding how I might go about creating some of my own basic race liveries quickly.

Last edited:
Back