The 2003 Mitsubishi Galant and General Mediocrity

• Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 16 comments

1X83Z

Premium
United States
usa
I love my cars. Everytime I've needed (twice or three times when I've wanted) a new car, I've purchased a vehicle that was the best given the money that I was willing to spend. I've been spending quite a bit of time on Mitsubishi lots recently looking into another car purchase and I've had some disturbing thoughts regarding what I believe to be the single largest example of decaying society - the Mitsubishi Galant.

Maybe (surely) I'm over-dramatizing the situation, but has anybody spent some time in this car? It's been through about four facelifts since the current version came out ('98?) so they've effectively uglified it, especially the front. Mitsubishi effectively ignores it (they made zero changes to the '02 model except now it's called the '03), it gets worse gas mileage than the Accord, Mazda6, or Camry, has less head room, shoulder room, hip room and leg room, and much less cargo room than all those competitors. It's got a crap ride, a slow engine and poor steering, too.

But, I keep seeing them around, despite being bested by just about every competitor. But why? Perhaps there's a bunch of family members of Mitsubishi dealers around, and they get a special discount. Personally, though, I think it's got something to do with what I've deemed a love of mediocrity. The car's mediocre - extremely mediocre. It's uninspiring, slow, ugly, and nothing to its competitors.

Why does Mitsubishi put out a car that's so average? Why don't they pull a Nissan or a Mazda and completely overhaul it? Why do decent human beings purchase it? Do they actually feel it's right to concentrate only on SUV's and completely ignore a vehicle years behind its competitors?

So, that's an example of mediocrity in daily life. Opinions?

I'm afraid mediocrity in general is taking over - perhaps we need a war against it. In the '60's, Kennedy was fighting a war on poverty (in which the Marines went knocking door to door looking for impoverished people with a 'kill on sight' order). Clearly we need some consumer stimulation.

Mediocrity is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps the people who buy them are only concerned with price, but can't bring themselves to stoop as low as a Kia or Daewoo? I don't know about Mistersquishy's current pricing points but if they are dealing on them pretty heavily, that could be a factor.

That being said, mediocrity is always an issue, in anything. People would always rather have features instead of substance. Why do people pay what they do for a barely livable, impractically designed tract house - but one that has a fake brick front, a giant, impressive entry foyer, and an acre of ex-farmland for a lawn? They are ugly, inefficient, very wasteful of space and materials, and they sell like hotcakes and are repeated endlessly across the nation.

Why is Windows the runaway-dominant operating system on the planet? Talk about the very paragon of mediocrity...

Mediocrity is easier. You'll never get into trouble being average. There are no controversies over normal things. Only "elitist snobs" question this.

If you're like me you've bumped heads numerous times with people and their hum-drum mediocrity. They argue that anything more is excessive, even unecessary. Then they accuse you of being frivolous.

I don't think it's anything new. Proportionately it's probably about the same as it's always been.

Originally posted by neon_duke
Mediocrity is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps the people who buy them are only concerned with price, but can't bring themselves to stoop as low as a Kia or Daewoo? I don't know about Mistersquishy's current pricing points but if they are dealing on them pretty heavily, that could be a factor.

But there's certainly cheaper cars out there - if that was the only criteria, then they could go for an Optima or Sonata.

Re the Windows comment - I bought a Windows computer because I wanted it to be compatible with most other computer. Since most others are Windows users, case closed.

And I don't want to be indentified with the same type of people who have Macs. I've already got a Volvo, thank you.

Originally posted by M5Power
Since most others are Windows users, case closed.
Ah, but Duke was pointing out how... mediocre (?) it is that most others are Windows users. (Sorry, couldn't think of the right word)

And I don't want to be indentified with the same type of people who have Macs.
Oh? You think I'm that bad? :P

Don't you dare accuse me of being a liberal unless you're willing to duel over it. And I will give up my Macs when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

So put that in your stereotype and smoke it!

Don't you dare accuse me of being a liberal unless you're willing to duel over it.

Should I accuse you of your gun-loving, environment-raping conservative views? You live in Delaware!!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread here, but Duke, please empty out your PM inbox!

I'd hurt someone, badly, if they damaged Alchemy.

Mediocrity is the product of an unwillingness to shock, or offend, or step out into the light. It's the product of playing safe, of having a fallback, of trying to play the percentages game.

It is better to please 70% of the people 70% of the time than 30% of the people 100% of the time.

Or so the platitudes go. Personally I think that there's not nearly enough collective preparedness to say "Well, you might hate it, I don't."

This is at the root of so many things. I'm quite happy for Duke that he loves his Mac, even though I would probably rather cut off my fingers than buy one. Doubtless he feels the same way (assuming that we ignore his in-built evangelism!!). This is because we're strong enough to make up our own minds and stand by our own judgements.

Mitsubishi aim the majority of their cars at people who don't really care what they're buying, and will probably be buying a Mitsubishi because they're getting a great warranty, a great trade-in/finance, or because they've already got a Mitsubishi.

People are (to me) strange when it comes to buying cars. I look at some cars on the road and wonder what the thought process was that went into buying it.

I had a chat with a guy yesterday who drives a Vectra. He's on his third. I'm like "Why?". He's got plenty money, and he likes cars and driving, so why buy one of the worst cars on the road? The simple answer is that he's not me, and he loves it.

Doesn't make him a bad person.

Why is Windows the runaway-dominant operating system on the planet?
Easier to illegally replicate, that's why.

You know, I used to wonder "Why would anyone want to buy a ___?", but in time, there's just a something about a car that makes people buy it. It's built for them, not you, or not for me. Everyone has different tastes, opinions, loyalties, responses.

After all, some people are still buying Need For Speed and Test Drive.

I remember an ex girlfriend of mine who liked frozen packaged food better than real food, prepared by a person that same day. I drove me nuts and really changed my opinion of her. There's just something wierd that.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie

Mitsubishi aim the majority of their cars at people who don't really care what they're buying, and will probably be buying a Mitsubishi because they're getting a great warranty, a great trade-in/finance, or because they've already got a Mitsubishi.

You make a very good point, Giles, but I wanted to clear this up. You Brits are getting screwed on warranties - in this country, most makers are coming around to the standards set by Kia and Hyundai - ten year basic warranties, and 100,000 to unlimited miles overall. Domestic companies have gone to seven and eight year/100,000 mile warranties, and Japan is still lagging fairly far behind with the standard 3/36 and 5/60 crap. From what I hear, nothing even comes close in Britain - even Kia and Hyundai.

heh, seeing as there are a bunch of mitsubishi people here, anyone see that lancer evo commercial, shows various clips of the evo, a bit of GT, and it says we've started a religion...yada yada... well anybody know of a dload for it? :) I loved it, just another example of why car commercials still remain to be the best commercials produced, they are an art in themselves :)

Originally posted by M5Power
You make a very good point, Giles, but I wanted to clear this up. You Brits are getting screwed on warranties.

We get pretty much screwed on most things...

Back