- 467
- THE_LAST_FAOLIU
So I picked it up on Wednesday, bought the Collector's Edition. The box now sits next to my PS3 as if it were a trophy. I'd like to say that I think GT5 presents a lot of different concepts (Course Maker), extreme expansions into exsisting ideas (Travel Photo Mode), and of course there were a lot of moments of complete dumbfoundedness.
Grinding Factor?
I said there was "double" the grinding of previous titles. Since none of the races require a license to participate, that cuts a huge chunk of boringness out of the game. Though at the same time you give up things like loading up previous garages from GT4 or even GT5
, you're basically starting from scratch. Car prices are extremely expensive with very little resources to make mad money quickly without grinding. Even when you do have a bank full of credits you still have to be the correct "level" to buy or use more advanced or desireable cars.
But there also comes a point in the game where you've reached a high enough level to start buying the really, really expensive and high performance cars (Enzo, SLS AMG, McLaren F1) but then that little "resource" thing kinda comes back into focus. I'm at a point to where I need a serious GT car but now that I've kinda spent a lot of money exploring things like Lamborghini, Ferrari, and some American favorites... I don't quite have any means in which to obtain a GT car any time soon without grinding.
No lisence tests, but at what cost?! AT WHAT COST!
Once you think you've passed the point of "grinding" that is when grinding begins... very frustrating. But perhaps the grass is greener on the other side of the Professional Events, if I don't die of bordem trying to get there.
1,000 Cars!
Yes, the game does indeed boast 1,000 cars. But it presents them in a very limited way. You are at no point overwhelmed with choices, and for many of the events (I've had difficulty with "Classic Races") there are simply no options. However, the game does do a great job providing you the tools for the next race and this works great if you have the foresight of a Jedi. Most prize cars are really boring and I end up selling them to upgrade/tune another car that is far more interesting.
There are no more different cities seperating the nationalities of the car makes. Everything in the New Car Dealership is clumped together, very much unlike previous sequels. I miss going to a City and having all of my American dealers presented before me. Now I have to sort through the likes of Toyota, Honda, and Audi to get to the interesting stuff.
Though the game does have a bunch of ports from the Gran Turismo PSP version (because there is no way those "standard" cars look anything like GT4 models), the GT5 does give you a large variety of different cars to check out. Lots of things not previous seen in the series seem to always jump out and suprise you. Has anyone seen the VW dealership? LOL. But I mean GT5 definitely isn't shy about letting you see and have the new additions to the roster of cars that really hasn't changed since GT3. In fact I would even say the new additions are actually more accessible than what I've deemed the relics.
1,000 cars... most of them look like ass - but GT5 does a really good job in distracting you with Premium models. 👍
Features!
Travel Photo Mode is probably the most impressive feature in the game. I definitely was not expecting a HUGE, lively, and magnificent city block to use as a studio. I really did not expect to see moving people, animals, other vehicles moving in and out of frame... there really is an atmosphere nearly comparable to GTA:IV. GT5 really blew my mind with this feature. The Photos are also ultra realistic, they spared no expense here and I couldn't be more satisfied.
But then there is the Course Maker... I call it simply: "the gigantic failure." What is the point of a course maker when you don't actually make the course... you merely edit a pre-designed layout and even then the parimeters in which you have to edit the track are also random. What I'm saying is at no point do you actually get to create anything. I was expecting to make recreations of Mid Field Raceway and a Test Track with a 4 mile long straight so that I could tap out the Veyron. But this was just too much to ask. Most of the tracks in the course maker are less than 5 miles in length with the longest true straights being less than a mile long at most. A lot of the courses I've tested were littered with huge uphill/downhill sections and rocky roads. It really is no fun and probably should've never been put into the game so under-developed. It will remain the least used feature in my game.
In Conclusion...
There are a lot of faults in this game, the good doesn't out-weigh the bad, but what GT5 manages to do well is what makes it thusfar addiciting. Realistic tracks, realistic cars, a realistic car experience. The graphics of the tracks are second to none, and the preimum models are really out of this world. You really do see where Polyphony spent their money, time, and efforts. The problem is where the game falls short is where previous titles deliver which makes the game hard to play and replay. It's so frustrating because you know it could've been better, and you expected it to be GT4 at least... and in some way it just doesn't live up.
There is still more to experience as Kaz said there is a TON of updates/patches coming in the very near future and I still have the Professional Events to go when I decide grinding is fun. Until then it remains in my PS3 as that was the PS3's sole purpose and now we all eagerly wait PD's next move. 👍
Grinding Factor?
I said there was "double" the grinding of previous titles. Since none of the races require a license to participate, that cuts a huge chunk of boringness out of the game. Though at the same time you give up things like loading up previous garages from GT4 or even GT5
But there also comes a point in the game where you've reached a high enough level to start buying the really, really expensive and high performance cars (Enzo, SLS AMG, McLaren F1) but then that little "resource" thing kinda comes back into focus. I'm at a point to where I need a serious GT car but now that I've kinda spent a lot of money exploring things like Lamborghini, Ferrari, and some American favorites... I don't quite have any means in which to obtain a GT car any time soon without grinding.
No lisence tests, but at what cost?! AT WHAT COST!
1,000 Cars!
Yes, the game does indeed boast 1,000 cars. But it presents them in a very limited way. You are at no point overwhelmed with choices, and for many of the events (I've had difficulty with "Classic Races") there are simply no options. However, the game does do a great job providing you the tools for the next race and this works great if you have the foresight of a Jedi. Most prize cars are really boring and I end up selling them to upgrade/tune another car that is far more interesting.
There are no more different cities seperating the nationalities of the car makes. Everything in the New Car Dealership is clumped together, very much unlike previous sequels. I miss going to a City and having all of my American dealers presented before me. Now I have to sort through the likes of Toyota, Honda, and Audi to get to the interesting stuff.
Though the game does have a bunch of ports from the Gran Turismo PSP version (because there is no way those "standard" cars look anything like GT4 models), the GT5 does give you a large variety of different cars to check out. Lots of things not previous seen in the series seem to always jump out and suprise you. Has anyone seen the VW dealership? LOL. But I mean GT5 definitely isn't shy about letting you see and have the new additions to the roster of cars that really hasn't changed since GT3. In fact I would even say the new additions are actually more accessible than what I've deemed the relics.
1,000 cars... most of them look like ass - but GT5 does a really good job in distracting you with Premium models. 👍
Features!
Travel Photo Mode is probably the most impressive feature in the game. I definitely was not expecting a HUGE, lively, and magnificent city block to use as a studio. I really did not expect to see moving people, animals, other vehicles moving in and out of frame... there really is an atmosphere nearly comparable to GTA:IV. GT5 really blew my mind with this feature. The Photos are also ultra realistic, they spared no expense here and I couldn't be more satisfied.
But then there is the Course Maker... I call it simply: "the gigantic failure." What is the point of a course maker when you don't actually make the course... you merely edit a pre-designed layout and even then the parimeters in which you have to edit the track are also random. What I'm saying is at no point do you actually get to create anything. I was expecting to make recreations of Mid Field Raceway and a Test Track with a 4 mile long straight so that I could tap out the Veyron. But this was just too much to ask. Most of the tracks in the course maker are less than 5 miles in length with the longest true straights being less than a mile long at most. A lot of the courses I've tested were littered with huge uphill/downhill sections and rocky roads. It really is no fun and probably should've never been put into the game so under-developed. It will remain the least used feature in my game.
In Conclusion...
There are a lot of faults in this game, the good doesn't out-weigh the bad, but what GT5 manages to do well is what makes it thusfar addiciting. Realistic tracks, realistic cars, a realistic car experience. The graphics of the tracks are second to none, and the preimum models are really out of this world. You really do see where Polyphony spent their money, time, and efforts. The problem is where the game falls short is where previous titles deliver which makes the game hard to play and replay. It's so frustrating because you know it could've been better, and you expected it to be GT4 at least... and in some way it just doesn't live up.
There is still more to experience as Kaz said there is a TON of updates/patches coming in the very near future and I still have the Professional Events to go when I decide grinding is fun. Until then it remains in my PS3 as that was the PS3's sole purpose and now we all eagerly wait PD's next move. 👍