The AI gets nervous.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abriael
  • 5 comments
  • 980 views
Messages
304
Messages
Abriael
Messages
Abriael
I've been studying the AI for a while now to do my AI comparison debunk video, and I decided to observe a bit more to see if there was the material to do a further video in more genric conditions.

I found out something quite funny (I've been able to replicate it a few times now). If you pressure an Ai car closely for a while (even without bumping or touching at all), he'll start making more and more small mistakes, until he'll finally do some big error and go into the dirt or spin out.

It was evident in B-spec, but honestly I didn't think they actually implemented it in A-spec too. I'm starting to think that there's a lot more depth in the AI behavioir than people think.

It kinda reminded me of the mechanic of the old R:Racing Revolution. Too bad in GT5 the AI doesn't cuss at you like they did there :D
 
It was evident in B-spec, but honestly I didn't think they actually implemented it in A-spec too. I'm starting to think that there's a lot more depth in the AI behavioir than people think.

Hmm, that's very interesting... I didn't think this would happen in A-spec too, you rarely see the AI do a mistake like they do in B-spec under regular circumstances.
 
iv noticed this as well.

After reading your last thread concerning the AI i went and did a few races a gave the AI a bit more attention, not that iv ever thought they were that bad anyways

Deep forest, european championship in a RUF 2000 stock.........was in third place starting lap 2 and closed right up on second place throught the tight twisty section at the start of the lap, never bumped the ai but jinked left and right in his mirors and noticed as i did this he started to lose his line a little and in the turn leading onto the back straight he went in too hot and smacked the wall, never just glanced it either he properly hit it

Was enought for me and two other ai cars to get by him.

Actually kind of impressed me to be honest but not as much as an AI car overtaking me round the outside of the next turn!!!!!
 
I do think the AI is better than ever in a GT game and there are some interesting improvements. Like you say if you keep pressure on the AI they do seem to make more mistakes. Higher up in the game the AI does seem more adept. My main problems with the AI are as follows. If your following them around a corner with a view to getting a better drive out they tend to brake for no reason and you hit the back of the AI car.

Second if you follow them down a straight too closely they also have a tendancy to tap the brakes and you hit the back. Im English and dont see much Nascar but what I have seen those guys are bumper to bumper sometimes so I dont see why the AI should brake.

Third if your following them into a corner too closely the AI brake way too early. Its almost as if the AI are designed to let you outbrake them on the inside. If I dont think I can do that I will try to follow the AI and wait for a better opportunity. This tends to trick me into running into the back also.

Its true for me that the AI are a little slow if I use equal cars. Ive been playing GT since GT1 was on the PSX so I guess im not the worst driver. I dont think though I am the best either. I suppose a balance of skill level is difficult to achieve without multi level AI settings. Ive already seen and heard some people say how hard it is to win if your a complete novice.

The only other annoying thing for me is the penalty system when an AI car runs clean into the back off you. Why does that penalise me?.

Im torn about outbraking the AI and them turning into you. In real motorsport this also happens a lot. A driver outbrakes on the Inside and the driver on the outside is already starting his turn. Often drivers are not fast enough to react and the outside car will hit the inside car. If anyone watches British touring cars or formula 1 then they may see how common this is. Maybe the penalty system could be a little more lenient here too

In sumary the AI is better but could do with getting its braking twitch sorted....Multi level would be nice too!.....Thoughts?

Edit: One thing I have noticed is that if there are no other cars near them they drive pretty well. Maybe you have hit on something here. Is it possible that there is a "Nervous algorithm" and its a little too sensitive hence all the panic braking?
 
Last edited:
I also noticed some cars will move over for the race leader in endurance races, whereas some others do not.

Just a small thing, but still cool to see.
 
Did it again in the german touring car championship at nurburgring. I pressured the leader for a lil while and he went totally wide at the chicane :D
 
Back