The AI Thread

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 22 comments
Simcoeace
I thought we really should have a thread devoted to the F1 2010 AI, as it is the area in which F1 2010 both excels AND has its worse problems.

For the record, I have only played in GP mode so far, as I don't want to get into frustrating issues with the career mode. I have only run about half the circuits so far - Legendary setting, all aids off, G25 wheel, 40% distance, generally driving as Button & without qualifying.

In general, I feel the physics are very good, but, on the hardest settings, should be more demanding than they are - it's too easy to fling the car through some corners that should be VERY tricky. For example, Pouhon at Spa is just a pedal-to-the-metal corner, even though it is a very difficult, double apex, downhill, off-camber corner. The notorious Turn 8 sequence at Istanbul also seems to be MUCH easier to nail than it was in F1CE.

Having said all that, I have not come close to winning a single race yet, even though, as Button, I have been starting near the front of the pack every race. Inevitably, I spin out or make a major mistake at some point & lose some, or a lot, of places. I'm not sure about all the AI times being posted during the races - I find the information given is hard-to-follow during the race &, of course, no split times & no fastest times at the end of the race, which really are essential & should be added with a patch IMO. As far as I can tell so far, it does seem that, as in F1CE, some tracks are easier to be competitive on than others.

What I will say, is that one-on-one racing with the AI during the race is VERY IMPRESSIVE - head-&-shoulders above anything else I have experienced on the PS3, including F1CE. I had a major battle at Suzuka last night over many laps, chasing a car & being chased by another. When I drove a faster, tighter line, I made up a bit of ground, when I drove slower, I lost ground. I made passing moves that were successful, & others that had me outbraking into a corner, only to see my opponent find a little bit faster line out of the corner & take back the position. Superb! There was nothing like this in F1CE where once you got passed the AI would back off & overtaken cars would generally slow down after being passed. Finally, drafting seems to give little or no advantage - a big difference from the extreme catch-up that we have seen in most other games.

I think the AI in this game is fantastic. You can have some brilliant battles with the AI in this game. Some corners they are just a bit to slow. That's my only worry about it but they will probably be better after a patch. I have also noticed that they are at differnt pace in different sectors which is pretty cool.

I think in some areas the AI are really good, especially defending/attacking corners and trying overtakes etc. I also like the way they don't just stick to the racing line like they did in F1:CE, they deviate if they need to.

Obviously the only problems are that they are ridiculously slow in some corners, such as Bahrain and Istanbul.

I think in some areas the AI are really good, especially defending/attacking corners and trying overtakes etc. I also like the way they don't just stick to the racing line like they did in F1:CE, they deviate if they need to.

Obviously the only problems are that they are ridiculously slow in some corners, such as Bahrain and Istanbul.

Yes the AI is definitely weak in corners. It's clear after a few laps on Monza but it's less of a problem on expert difficulty.

Try em at Catalunya, I've only been in a Lotus but my rivals smoked me.
Hard difficulty.

The AI was also strangely slow at some corners in F1CE. For example turn 14 at Bahrain, just before the back straight. In fact, the AI was slow around Bahrain in general, making it the easiest track in F1CE.

I think the AI is good, but hopefully they will improve it for 2011. Battling for position is indeed a blast and is also a good challenge. However they can seem a tad inconsistent, for instance during my race at Bahrain Kubica was about 2 seconds behind me and stayed that way for about 4 laps, than all of a sudden he just flew past, I would guess he switched his engine to "fast" but it seemed like too much of a difference.

The AI was also strangely slow at some corners in F1CE. For example turn 14 at Bahrain, just before the back straight. In fact, the AI was slow around Bahrain in general, making it the easiest track in F1CE.

Bahrain, and Magny Cours. I poled in a Toro Rosso at both of those tracks in my first season.

Being as I am a totally newb to racing games, I really find it tough when you are finally getting a good race in, moving up, and using your pit strategy to perfection and then.... Vettel side swipes me, I hit a wall and he gets absolutely no penalty. But if I bump a mclaren slighty, the stewards sleep with my wife, take my kids, foreclose my house and ban me from Formula 1. :banghead:

Vettel side swipes me, I hit a wall and he gets absolutely no penalty. But if I bump a mclaren slighty, the stewards sleep with my wife, take my kids, foreclose my house and ban me from Formula 1. :banghead:

Problem I keep having except often I get the penalty even when they hit me.

One issue is when I have a puncture or running low on fuel so I pull aside the driving line driving slower, the AI insists on pulling hard on the inside out of a corner in a attempt to "draft" me but hits me due to the speed difference..... 5+ grid penalty for me!

I switched to reduced flags and rules for this reason.

Also I concur with others finding the AI very slow in places, really have to be aware because they suddenly slow down which can take you suprise. During my practice at Malaysia I was coming around 10th (Virgin racing, legend AI) in the dry but during quali it was pouring down with rain and I very easily got pole by over 3 seconds without putting in a good lap.

Just wanted to bump this thread with regards to SouL's post.

I've been playing F1 solidly for the past fortnight now, and have to say the AI is REALLY messing me off now. I swore that the cars on track made no relation to the times they were posting, and that link to IGN shows I'm not the only one to notice this!!

Surely the AI is one of the most fundamental points of an F1 game?! Like it says, serves them right for making an F1 game based upon a rally game engine :(

I really hope Codies addresses this problem, because it's driving me nuts, and sometimes I seriously consider going and trading the game in, whilst it's still worth something!!

The patch is out soon hang in there!!

I find the only problem with the AI to be that whilst they are fairly aggressive its also quite unrealistic. If you make an error into a turn and the AI gets along side, believe me they have no problems what so ever trying to ram you off the road! Even when you give them plenty of space. Also when they defend its ridiculous! I make a dive up the inside, and then suddenly all laws of physics cease to apply to the AI and they drive right around the outside of me at double speed! Crazy.

The AI are not aggressive enough on the straights, when following behind you. Typically, if you pull over to block, they just back off completely.

I'm already so impressed with their responsiveness and aggression in the corners, or when you're trying to pass them, I don't really car about them on the straights. As long as they don't pass me, i'm fine :lol:

imo, the ai's pace is much more erratic post-patch. i got a 5th at Bahrain with them
set to legendary, but could only manage 17th at Melbourne with them on pro

granted, im better at the former but not that much i don't think

Why is the IA very slow at the first 2 laps. I understand they are fighting for psition but still. When i start from the back of the grid in can easly drive from 24 to top 10 in only 2 laps and then i can't keep up anymore....

So it looks like they still have split time bugs. I can see they were added since the patch. I just finished my first season doing 20% race distance. The game posted split and lap time difference.

But I just started my 2nd season and set race distance to 50%. After a while the game stopped posting the AI split and lap time differences.

Also I'm starting season 2 on hard difficulty. Fuel is now in effect. I got fuel warnings in both practice and quali (short weekend settings). But during the race I got NOTHING. 4 laps to go I see the yellow indicator. So I thought "oh. ok i'm low on fuel. I'll drive a bit slower. Where's my audio warning?" On the 2nd to last lap I RUN OUT of fuel and the game says nothing to me. lol
I had a large lead so I thought I'd just keep going. Didn't work. I got stuck doing some ~50mph on the final lap and was getting passed left and right. And the AI engineer tells me that I just lost position and that I should step it up. argh.

*sigh*

Back